Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #61
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you're a Calibre user you can install the Modify Epub plugin. One of its many useful options is Remove Adobe .xpgt files and links. You can clean up your whole Calibre library in one go. If your library is large it may take a while to run.
Thanks for the tip. I had the Modify Epub plugin installed, but I ignored the xpgt settings since I didn't know what it was until I just figured out it was adding margins to a book. I never found it necessary with Coolreader on Android for some reason, so I'm learning a new workflow for the Aura.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #62
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Glo with 2.8.1 here.

Does the font patch work for you? I tried the advanced font options for some fonts I sideloaded and it only works when the book is a kepub, otherwise I can see the changes into the preview window, but nothing happens to the actual text.

Anyway, apart for this, I think with this patch I reached my Kobo Nirvana Perfect size, perfect line height, perfect font weight.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post

Does the font patch work for you? I tried the advanced font options for some fonts I sideloaded and it only works when the book is a kepub, otherwise I can see the changes into the preview window, but nothing happens to the actual text.
Did you remember to fully power off/on after sideloading your fonts?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Anyway, apart for this, I think with this patch I reached my Kobo Nirvana Perfect size, perfect line height, perfect font weight.
TypeGenius works for me on sideloaded fonts with one caveat. If I get over-enthused when increasing the font weight, it gets hard to differentiate regular/bold and italic/bold-italic. I noticed this when I increased the weight of Deja Vu Serif to match JSWolf's Charis SIL Modified's weight.

You still need to do a power cycle after adding a new font before you can use it.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-21-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: What else? Fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #65
Bonex
Connoisseur

Quote:
Did you remember to fully power off/on after sideloading your fonts?
Yes, I did a full off/on, but the advanced font settings for sideloaded fonts only work with the kepub renderer, not the Adobe one.
I'm now using the original Georgia most of the time anyway, so no big deal.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Yes, I did a full off/on, but the advanced font settings for sideloaded fonts only work with the kepub renderer, not the Adobe one.
I'm now using the original Georgia most of the time anyway, so no big deal.
I only use standard epubs and the advanced settings work on all my sideloaded fonts. I did have one particular font which didn't immediately work - it was an otf font. I converted the 4 files to ttf and then they did work, but I don't know if this is a general solution or whether I was just lucky.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #67
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This patch continues to be great; the only thing missing now (I.M.O.) is the ability to modify the header height. Not sure if metazoa uses many kepubs, so not sure if he thought to think of that. Could anyone here who's active on his forum ask him about it?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #68
Bonex
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
I only use standard epubs and the advanced settings work on all my sideloaded fonts. I did have one particular font which didn't immediately work - it was an otf font. I converted the 4 files to ttf and then they did work, but I don't know if this is a general solution or whether I was just lucky.
Yesss! That's it!
I converted the fonts to ttf (they were otf) and now the options work.
And not only this, but I discovered that if you have different fonts embedded into the epub file, they are affected by the advanced options too (provided they are ttf), making them look very good.
This patch really
Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #69
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
This patch really
Indeed. The Aura with the latest patch - set to no footer, and a bit more generous line heights than the values provided by metazoa - comes very close to the ereader of my dreams. Metazoa definitely deserves a medal.

Now if only someone would fix the long paragraph bug... or change the ridiculously memory wasting management of cover images...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #70
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
This patch continues to be great; the only thing missing now (I.M.O.) is the ability to modify the header height. Not sure if metazoa uses many kepubs, so not sure if he thought to think of that. Could anyone here who's active on his forum ask him about it?
I've asked him before and it didn't sound like he was aware of the rendering differences between epub/kepub engines. He stated that he just changes libnickel and that's it, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't read kepubs.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #71
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Indeed. The Aura with the latest patch - set to no footer, and a bit more generous line heights than the values provided by metazoa - comes very close to the ereader of my dreams. Metazoa definitely deserves a medal.

Now if only someone would fix the long paragraph bug... or change the ridiculously memory wasting management of cover images...
+1 on the long paragraph bug. I think with metazoa's patch it's the only thing standing between Kobo's current state and a perfect reader for me
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #72
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
How do you remove the footer completely? Is that possible?
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #73
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
How do you remove the footer completely? Is that possible?
Since I couldn't make heads or tails of the settings concerning the footer style in the patch I just left them alone. That removed the footer for me.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #74
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I've asked him before and it didn't sound like he was aware of the rendering differences between epub/kepub engines. He stated that he just changes libnickel and that's it, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't read kepubs.
Ah, then I guess the header styling isn't in libnickel?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #75
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Ah, then I guess the header styling isn't in libnickel?
It's hard to tell, there's not enough data. It might very well be in there, just not used by the Adobe engine.