Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Samsung Galaxy 4.2 confusion

Just wondering if anyone else in the US purchased a Galaxy 4.2 and unknowingly received a UK version. The UK version model number ends in an EU.

I bought two in the US from a US company. One of them did not work properly so called Samsung, they had me do a couple things, declared it in need of repair, arranged return and I sent it off.

I got an email then a phone call informing me it was a UK version and they could not fix it and that they were returning it.

Luckily the seller stretched his 30 return policy and sent me a replacement.

I've complained to Samsung to no avail. How can we know if a product we buy has a valid warranty.

I contacted the UK service and they won't respond to me.

Seems it ought to be illegal to sell something with a warranty and not honor the warranty when the time comes.

If they aren't going to fix UK versions then they should not be selling them in the US.

I also noticed a few days ago Amazon.com stopped selling them due to a packaging problem of some sort. Does anyone know if this is related to their problem?
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Just wondering if anyone else in the US purchased a Galaxy 4.2 and unknowingly received a UK version. The UK version model number ends in an EU.

I bought two in the US from a US company. One of them did not work properly so called Samsung, they had me do a couple things, declared it in need of repair, arranged return and I sent it off.

I got an email then a phone call informing me it was a UK version and they could not fix it and that they were returning it.

Luckily the seller stretched his 30 return policy and sent me a replacement.

I've complained to Samsung to no avail. How can we know if a product we buy has a valid warranty.

I contacted the UK service and they won't respond to me.

Seems it ought to be illegal to sell something with a warranty and not honor the warranty when the time comes.

If they aren't going to fix UK versions then they should not be selling them in the US.

I also noticed a few days ago Amazon.com stopped selling them due to a packaging problem of some sort. Does anyone know if this is related to their problem?
That company apparently is selling gray market items without disclosing it. That isn't Samsungs fault and they will only honor warranties on products meant for sale in your region.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Repair in the region it was meant for should be an expected result even if it is "gray market" They should also be interested in stopping "gray market" sales when they know the company involved, if it is indeed "gray market."

That is one reason I'd like to know if this is the Amazon problem, I'd think it was more of a Samsung boo boo if they were - gathering information. You could be right on.

A bunch of refurbs comes to mind as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Apparently all Galaxy Players are no longer available on Amazon as they have all been discontinued.Check thread on anythingbutipod.

Prices have been reduced, and lots of Factory refurbs now available, Newegg, Amazon 3rd party, Ebay. Appears that Black is US version, and White is the EU version. Since there are no upgrades for the OS, I don't think it much matters which you purchase, except for the warranty limitation.

Have tried to find out what the difference is, but can find nothing relevant.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Apparently all Galaxy Players are no longer available on Amazon as they have all been discontinued.Check thread on anythingbutipod.

Prices have been reduced, and lots of Factory refurbs now available, Newegg, Amazon 3rd party, Ebay. Appears that Black is US version, and White is the EU version. Since there are no upgrades for the OS, I don't think it much matters which you purchase, except for the warranty limitation.

Have tried to find out what the difference is, but can find nothing relevant.
Indications are that they are clearing the shelves to make room for the next edition.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict

Found some reviews on Amazon today that mention the sale of EU versions from some of the sellers mentioned above.

I doubt anyone would mind getting the EU version is there was a warranty solution.

I've done a bunch of googling and find very little about it so not much a problem cept for a few of us.

I was not surprised at a refurb from the outfit I bought from and the price was right - they did replace my unit that was defective so we aren't out much but the time involved - as long as they run a year :-)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinakathy View Post
Yeah I heard about this news before that Amazon has stopped selling this product due to packing problem. But this type of problem never happened to me.
What is "packing problem"
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
canoneosrebel425
canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.canoneosrebel425 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Samsung Galaxy 4.2 confusion

samsung starts making of jelly bean 4.1.2 leak firmare which will be available in the end of march source via sammobile
canoneosrebel425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
exscentric
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
What is "packing problem"
The UK model comes with a UK type power pack not the US type and some complained about it, thus they stopped shipping till they found out what was wrong. At least that is my understanding of it.

Last edited by exscentric; 03-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
The UK model comes with a UK type power pack not the US type and some complained about it, thus they stopped shipping till they found out what was wrong.
Why would people complain about receiving a UK power pack with the UK model?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also received a EU version, and did call Samsung regarding a problem. Was told Samsung warranty is international, but the repair centers determine whether to repair the EU in the US. Problem supposedly being that EU parts are not available, hence the refusal to repair using warranty service.

Only problem I found is the wifi is hard coded to EU zone, so if I shut off wifi using the quick key dropdown, then this quick key will not turn it back on and need to do a reboot which puts wifi back on. Everything else, and other quick keys work fine. Also, comes with uk plug, but 2 cords so any us wall plug 1000 mah will work to charge.

Currently awaiting a prepaid label to return to seller.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Tabatha
Groupie

Have finally returned the EU version due to problem, and purchased a factory refurb, Black for US, from eBay. May not have warranty over 90 days, but have had excellent luck with factory refurb electronics always, and have never needed a full warranty.

Have also asked several places if the EU version does in fact work for US, but still haven't gotten any answers, so will stick with the Black US model.

Available on eBay thru Newegg for $129.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300875634091...84.m1423.l2649
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
exscentric
Addict

Both the UK models I purchased work fine in the US (after getting one replaced). I haven't had any problems with the wifi thus far. The color is the main difference and there is one app I think that is UK and won't work here but no other differences I've found. I got the wife a US model and she loves it.