Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
bittenkitten
bittenkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Content server (externally) on Mac through AEBS

Hello there,

Has anyone been able to successfully serve their Calibre library on a Mac external of their local network through an Airport Extreme Base Station?

I'm having the hardest time with this. I'm running Calibre on Mountain Lion, on port 8888. I forwarded port 8888, and am trying to connect to my library from outside my local network using the external ip address and the port, but can't get to it. I've tried going through previous discussions, but still can't get it to work. Any advice?
bittenkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me. Try using one of the web-based port testers, like this one. If you're able to see the port, then you know that you have set up port forwarding correctly.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
bittenkitten

Oof

Oh my, no wonder it wasn't working! You're right: I foolishly assumed my port forwarding had worked. These are the settings I have:

Firewall Entry Type: IPv4 Port Mapping
Description: Calibre
Public UDP Ports: 8888
Public TCP Ports: 8888
Private IP Address: XXX.XXX.1.7
Private UDP Ports: 8888
Private TCP Ports: 8888

Does that look right to you? I'm not sure what I've done incorrectly, and I really would appreciate your help. I'm an avid reader, and not being able to access my library is driving me around the bend!

Thanks so very much!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A quick google search yielded this page, among many others. Apple's instructions should be better than anything I could write.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
bittenkitten

Ah, I see what I may have done wrongly: I didn't reserve an IP address. Okay, will try that. Thanks so much!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
bittenkitten

Sigh - still not working

Nope, even with an IP address reserved, I still can't get this to work. :-(