Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The Most Popular Devices of 2010 -- Let's Get It Right

WHAT NEW READING DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT THIS YEAR?

THIS POLL IS INTENDED TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ONLY READING DEVICES BOUGHT IN 2010 -- EARLIER BUYS WILL CONFUSE THE ISSUE AND MAKE THE POLL MEANINGLESS.

Statistics on the sale/popularity of the various ebook-dedicated reading devices out there are notoriously unreliable.

Mobile Read has tens of thousands of members, so I wondered -- as a significant survey base -- if we could find out for sure which readers are ahead.

Sure we can guess: But why not find out for sure?

The poll will be rendered usless if anyone is tempted to include a device they bought earlier than Jan 1 this year because some devices have been around much longer than others and some only made a first appearance this year.

My intention is to seriously look at the current situation in a community made up to some extent of members with prior experience who have made a change and newer members who have been influenced by reviews or trends.

If we're honest, I feel this poll could be meaningful.

I don't think we really need comment in this thread quite yet. Why don't we just answer the basic questions, and then get into the personal and general reasons why later, when we can see the wood for trees?

Many thanks, folks.

PS: I cannot take part in this poll myself because I have not acquired a new dedicated device this year. N

Last edited by neilmarr; 11-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I bought the Kobo back in April/May shortly after it was announced, and I just ordered a BeBook2010 because I love the ergonomics of it and wanted the faster speed of the new one.

I'm seriously considering a Sony 650 for its Pearl screen and dictionary, but now it will have to wait until next year, lest I invalidate this poll's results.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I bought multiple devices this year, but can vote only once.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Sony has a better deal with good manufacturers and bad marketers. Reverse is true with Kindle.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
WHAT NEW READING DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT THIS YEAR?

THIS POLL IS INTENDED TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT ONLY READING DEVICES BOUGHT IN 2010 -- EARLIER BUYS WILL CONFUSE THE ISSUE AND MAKE THE POLL MEANINGLESS.

Statistics on the sale/popularity of the various ebook-dedicated reading devices out there are notoriously unreliable.

Mobile Read has tens of thousands of members, so I wondered -- as a significant survey base -- if we could find out for sure which readers are ahead.

Sure we can guess: But why not find out for sure?

The poll will be rendered usless if anyone is tempted to include a device they bought earlier than Jan 1 this year because some devices have been around much longer than others and some only made a first appearance this year.

My intention is to seriously look at the current situation in a community made up to some extent of members with prior experience who have made a change and newer members who have been influenced by reviews or trends.

If we're honest, I feel this poll could be meaningful.

I don't think we really need comment in this thread quite yet. Why don't we just answer the basic questions, and then get into the personal and general reasons why later, when we can see the wood for trees?

Many thanks, folks.

PS: I cannot take part in this poll myself because I have not acquired a new dedicated device this year. N
My iPod Touch isn't a "dedicated device", but one of its major functions for me is e-books.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I voted for Kindle because I got it in July 2010. However, I also got a Sony in April 2010. I didn't think to try and vote for both at once -- can a mod, perhaps, add another entry to the Sony category? Thanks!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***I bought multiple devices this year, but can vote only once***

I enabled 'multiple choices', Maggie. Just checked and, right enough, the poll should allow you to check as many boxes as you like. I can't vote myself to make sure because I've not bought a new device this year, but if the problem does exist, perhaps one of our fine mods would take a look. Cheers. Neil
Old 11-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr

***My iPod Touch isn't a "dedicated device", but one of its major functions for me is e-books***

Then go for 'other', Seanette. We can discuss the reasons why (multi-functional, etc) later. Thanks. Neil
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

***I voted for Kindle because I got it in July 2010. However, I also got a Sony in April 2010. I didn't think to try and vote for both at once -- can a mod, perhaps, add another entry to the Sony category? Thanks!***

I opted for multi-choice, Betty. Just checked for Maggie and am told it's in place. If not, it seems to be a site hitch and maybe one of our super-mods can help. It's important that folks list ALL devices they've bought this year if we're to get an accurate over-view. Cheers. Neil
Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***I voted for Kindle because I got it in July 2010. However, I also got a Sony in April 2010. I didn't think to try and vote for both at once -- can a mod, perhaps, add another entry to the Sony category? Thanks!***

I opted for multi-choice, Betty. Just checked for Maggie and am told it's in place. If not, it seems to be a site hitch and maybe one of our super-mods can help. It's important that folks list ALL devices they've bought this year if we're to get an accurate over-view. Cheers. Neil
Yep, I just forgot to vote for both of them before I submitted my vote. Now I can't go back in there -- I have a message that I have already voted. I think a moderator can fix it for me, though... Pooh, are you here?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I bought a Pocketbook 360 at the beginning of the year for myself, a Sony PRS-300 as a gift to a friend and just now a Kindle 3 for my mother.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I bought a new Kindle 3 this year and a used 505 from eBay early in the year. I only voted for Kindle (I didn't realize I should vote for both... your poll is screwed up already... sorry).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sorry, but at best this poll will only tell you what device less than 100 people have purchased this year. I.e. it will be inaccurate to the point of being worthless.

Unfortunately, since most of the major players are not releasing hard numbers, there is really no reliable way to determine market share of devices or ebook vendors.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I won a vendor's contest this year. The prize was an eBook reader.

Should I vote, or abstain because I didn't buy it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Household member bought a Sony this year, only device we bought this year, so I counted that. My personal 505 is older.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote