Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Likebook Alita -- are there known issues with this device?

So I've been comparing the Alita and Onyx Boox Note 2 or 3.
The SD Card and lower price is tempting in the Alita.

However.... in this forum I'm reading a lot of transfer issues, sd card issues, and general garbled page issues.

At what would end up being near $600 landed for me, that's a lot for a buggy unit.

Is the Alita a "known" issue device, compared to the Boox Note devices?

Trying to find a reliable 10" e-ink device to use as an MS Word / gDoc + keyboard writer.

Thanks
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
In how many posts do you still ask?

Of course, there can always be a defective device at some point, but in my opinion all problems arise from the fact that the user cannot handle the device and is not ready to deal with the device.
I have both Boox and Likebook devices and use all 10.3s without any problems.
My 7.8 Wacoms have the sun bug.
The Boox devices are somewhat superior in the area of drawing / format / processor performance - the Likebook devices are essential in the file system area and are therefore independent of a main computer.

I prefer the Likebook devices to the Boox devices - they can do more in the range I mainly need.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2021, 04:09 AM   #3
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
ottischwenk is again demonstrating his complete lack of tact and his inability to accept a criticism of these Android devices. I have owned the Alita for a year and have found it a decent e-reader but that's about it. Support is hard to find and the much anticipated Android 8.1 update when finally delivered has made no apparent difference. Android tablets are slow and require a steeper learning curve than people expect. I can't comment on how the Alita compares with other similar devices but there does seem to be a pattern with the products. The software is buggy because rather than fix things they happily plough on releasing a new device which again has issues. As for hoping to use one of these e-readers as a satisfactory replacement for a PC - dream on. They are expensive niche products and finding a reliable review is not going to be easy. Reviews will likely be negative as with my comments or you will get the ottischwenk version bigging thing up and blaming issues on the ignorance of users. Proceed with caution.

Last edited by bazz2004; 03-05-2021 at 04:13 AM.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:31 AM   #4
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

On specifics I would say that even as a reader it has to have A2 mode enabled or its performance is glacial. There is bleed through in page display but it doesn't worry me. With wireless enabled battery consumption is heavy but that's pretty general with mobile devices. I gave up on the Boyue native reading app which wasn't displaying some epub files correctly and tried various apps downloaded from GooglePlay store until I found the one that I was most happy with. Alita works OK with BT headphones but I won't be using it with them. There's posts about getting a BT wireless keyboard working with the Alita and I suspect that this is because the note taking aspects of the device are not great. I gave up on that after a week of frustration. Maybe it's OK as an artist's sketch pad but a piece of paper and pencil would be an improvement for taking notes. This is the area Boyue need to work on but don't hold your breath.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:40 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bazz2004, have you still not learned how to use your device?

Again: there are essentially only two manufacturers of EInk tablets - Apple is not one of them, consequently they cannot be compared with Ipads.

EInk is also different from the screen used by Apple - it is glare-free, usable in the light, but slowly in the page structure and in the refresh.

And as I said, the problems you have with your device do not lie with the manufacturer, but with you, because you are not willing or able to deal with the special features of EInk or Android.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-05-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Advert
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #6
BluetoothKeyboar
BluetoothKeyboar began at the beginning.

Device: Alita Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
In how many posts do you still ask?

Of course, there can always be a defective device at some point, but in my opinion all problems arise from the fact that the user cannot handle the device and is not ready to deal with the device.
I have both Boox and Likebook devices and use all 10.3s without any problems.
My 7.8 Wacoms have the sun bug.
The Boox devices are somewhat superior in the area of drawing / format / processor performance - the Likebook devices are essential in the file system area and are therefore independent of a main computer.

I prefer the Likebook devices to the Boox devices - they can do more in the range I mainly need.
Hi, I cannot type with my bluetooth keyboard on my Likebook Alita even though the keyboard is paired. Do you know any solution to this? Thank you.
BluetoothKeyboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:07 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluetoothKeyboar View Post
Hi, I cannot type with my bluetooth keyboard on my Likebook Alita even though the keyboard is paired. Do you know any solution to this?
What is she not doing?
I don't know which keyboard you are using.
I have 3 different and no problems.
Does the keyboard work at all - can you work with it on another Android device?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
bazz2004
Groupie

"And as I said, the problems you have with your device do not lie with the manufacturer, but with you, because you are not willing or able to deal with the special features of EInk or Android." Maybe you are correct as you know everything ottischwenk but be advised that you are unsuited for jobs requiring tact or diplomacy.

When I buy a smart phone it will be an iPhone. e-ink is a dead end apart from use in e-readers. Android devices like those from Boyue will never keep up with Android OS updates. The 8.1 update took forever to be issued and is still way behind the current more secure versions. The Alita will soon be replaced by another work in progress. I'll work the Alita for as long as it functions and then return to my Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Maybe you are correct as you know everything ottischwenk
And what does your meaningless chatter have to do with the question asked?