Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Nautilus
Nautilus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Lost in Conversion

Not sure this is the right place...

I got my first ebook reader (Sony 505) a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to regret ever buying the damn thing. The first ebook I read was 1984 (got it here, thanks for the great initiative ). The book was fantastic, the formatting was nicely done, everything was just peachy. Then I bought the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the Sony store (knowing that they will eventually let me download the book in epub format, otherwise I would never have bought it, DRM and all). The margins were ridiculous, but it was a good read nonetheless. I never read so much in so little time, I'm loving it

But now I'm trying to read The Brothers Karamazov. I say "trying" because the Sony Connect version (included in the free "100 classics") is terrible, with missing words and unforgiveable mistakes like "he bad looked upon them"... I tried to read it anyway, filling in the missing words and ignoring the obvious mistakes, but it's definitely not an enjoyable experience... "he bad looked" ?? I mean, c'mon!

Unfortunately, the two versions available here on the forum are based on Sony's book, so they're out. The Project Gutenberg's book looks perfect, with apparently no mistakes or missing words, but I have no idea how to turn it into a decent LRF. I downloaded the HTML version, txt, epub, PDF and tried converting them with Calibre and Book Designer, to no avail. The TOC gets all messed up and/or I lose the entire formatting and since the HTML version has [pg001], [pg002], etc. on every page, they appear in the middle of a sentence!

I'm not afraid of a little hands-on work (been trying to get the conversion right for 3 days now), but this is starting to look like work. I just want to read the book, not write it!

I'm not asking that someone do the conversion for me (I wouldn't say no, though ), just a little guidance to show me the light
Nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Have you checked out Book Designer? (Requires Windows and Word)

When I was making a lot of LRF's for myself I found it one of the best tools available.

For public domain books you can also check Feedbooks and Manybooks and see if you can find formatting you like.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Can't you read ePUB on your 505?
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Have you checked out Book Designer? (Requires Windows and Word)
Yep, I said it in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For public domain books you can also check Feedbooks and Manybooks and see if you can find formatting you like.
I tried Manybooks but there are based on the Sony book too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Can't you read ePUB on your 505?
Yes (although I dislike the numbering on the right), but the ePUB version available on Project Gutenberg is as bad as my conversions, with no page breaks between chapters and the dreaded [pg***] right in the middle of a sentence. Here's an example :

"Mitya had a vague and exaggerated idea [pg 007] of his property."
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
Yes (although I dislike the numbering on the right), but the ePUB version available on Project Gutenberg is as bad as my conversions, with no page breaks between chapters and the dreaded [pg***] right in the middle of a sentence.
Then what is the PG version that "looks perfect"? I suggest you take it, load it into Sigil, and create an ePUB file.

For removing the [pg ***] things, you could use some preprocessor. I believe Calibre does include the option to remove arbitrary text from the files it converts, you could probably catch them with something like:

Code:
\[pg [0-9]*\]
Or you could take the ePUB version and modify the formatting, it should mostly be done with CSS.
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Nautilus

Sorry for the delay. I started reading a few other (much shorter!) books while I figure out what to do with the Brothers.

Thanks Jellby for the magical formula to get rid of the [pgxxx], I tried that before but couldn't find the right combination

The version that looks good is the HTML one... I guess I'll give Sigil a shot.

Thanks again
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
Thanks Jellby for the magical formula to get rid of the [pgxxx], I tried that before but couldn't find the right combination

The version that looks good is the HTML one... I guess I'll give Sigil a shot.
It's probably easier to just add:

Code:
span.tei-pb { display: none }
to the CSS rules.