Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
calyps0
calyps0 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey Frontlight
Best device for annotation syncing

First of all, thank you for this great forum. I have been reading really interesting threads and found great resources on mobileread

I make an intensive usage of annotations when I read, and then I need them back to my PC.
I owned a Cybook Odyssey which I synced with ADE on my PC upon USB connection with an home-made script, (it is straighforward since both of them use .annot xml based formats).

The need:
I would like to buy a new reader (I have been stolen my Cybook), here is my main critieria:
I would like to auto sync annotations and progress between my devices (PC, MacAir, eink device, and Ipad).
At the very least I would like to have a way to export them to my PC over wifi/web in a open format (txt, html, json ...). This way, I could eventually script an integration with an opensource cross platform reader like readium.

My investigations so far:

Kindle:
Kindle offers the feature I need but, notes from sideloaded books made on IOS or Android apps can't be exported, are encrypted and do not appear on kindle.amazon.com. Moreover Kindle for PC does not handle personal documents.

Kobo
Kobo does not offer sync for sideloaded books. Notes are not encrypted but need a USB connection to be exported/retrieved

My last hope was PocketBook:

1- with its DropBox integration, but books only are synced. I was wondering if it is possible to symlink /system/profiles/name_profile/config/Active Content to dropbox folder. But I don't even know for sure if I can execute commands as root on a PocketBook device.

2- with FBReader, which is open source, and seems to sync progress at least in the android version (does the PocketBook version sync with android ?).

I know programming and I don't mind investing both time and money in building an automatic annotation sync system.
Is it feasible, and which device would be my best bet ?
If jail breaking is the way to go, which device to choose for an "easy" jail break ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited by calyps0; 12-04-2015 at 03:10 AM.
calyps0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Wait a minute.
I have several book files that I open in Kindle for PC. Those are not side-loaded but downloaded on the actual computer.
For the record: side-loading is going from a computer to a device usually with a(n) USB cable.

But I don't think the annotations can sync with other devices.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As you have shown, there is no device that does what you want. Out of the box, the Kindle is the closest.

If you are willing to write code, then the Kobo is probably the simplest. It is running Linux, doesn't need to be jailbroken and there are lots of different mods available. It can also run Koreader. It has some syncing but I don't know if it will do what you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
calyps0

Thanks for your answers

Quote:
For the record: side-loading is going from a computer to a device usually with a(n) USB cable.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am not native, and from what I read, I thought that side-loading was "everything except books bought from the official store".

Quote:
If you are willing to write code, then the Kobo is probably the simplest. It is running Linux, doesn't need to be jailbroken and there are lots of different mods available. It can also run Koreader. It has some syncing but I don't know if it will do what you want.
Koreader seems promising with its Evernote integration, if I can install it on Kobo for sure, I will give it a try From what I see, Koreader needs KSM, and I was not sure KSM is compatible with all Kobo devices (they say FW 2.6.0 to 3.18.0 on this thread)

Last edited by calyps0; 12-04-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle for PC can certainly open books stored on your PC. It doesn't only open books bought from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 AM   #6
calyps0

Yes in fact, I should have said: "it does not open personal documents" (books bought from other stores and sent to kindle cloud using the kindle mail address).
Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calyps0 View Post
Yes in fact, I should have said: "it does not open personal documents" (books bought from other stores and sent to kindle cloud using the kindle mail address).
That is correct, but does that matter? You probably sent the file to Amazon from your PC, so you already have it stored on your PC.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Koreader seems promising with its Evernote integration, if I can install it on Kobo for sure, I will give it a try From what I see, Koreader needs KSM,
No, Koreader can be started in other ways. But, KSM is probably the best method.
Quote:
and I was not sure KSM is compatible with all Kobo devices (they say FW 2.6.0 to 3.18.0 on this thread)
That says it will work on any Kobo ereader that is running firmware later than 2.6.0. That was released in June 2013. 3.18.0 is the current firmware and has been released for all devices since from the Touch on.

There is slight chance that it won't work on the Touch 2, but that is simply because no one has reported that it works. If it doesn't, it will probably be because the screen parameters will need to be adjusted to suit.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
calyps0

Great
Thank you davidfor !
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
calyps0

Quote:
That is correct, but does that matter? You probably sent the file to Amazon from your PC, so you already have it stored on your PC.
It matters for my use case, because I need to retrieve my annotations on the PC, not the mobi file only.

Last edited by calyps0; 12-04-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fair comment!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
No worries. It is so easy to misunderstand computer terms. I just wanted to let you know you could read books from other sources with a Kindle for PC. But that it would not do what you are wanting.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
spartrekus
spartrekus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
First of all, thank you for this great forum. I have been reading really interesting threads and found great resources on mobileread

I make an intensive usage of annotations when I read, and then I need them back to my PC.
I owned a Cybook Odyssey which I synced with ADE on my PC upon USB connection with an home-made script, (it is straighforward since both of them use .annot xml based formats).

The need:
I would like to buy a new reader (I have been stolen my Cybook), here is my main critieria:
I would like to auto sync annotations and progress between my devices (PC, MacAir, eink device, and Ipad).
At the very least I would like to have a way to export them to my PC over wifi/web in a open format (txt, html, json ...). This way, I could eventually script an integration with an opensource cross platform reader like readium.

My investigations so far:

Kindle:
Kindle offers the feature I need but, notes from sideloaded books made on IOS or Android apps can't be exported, are encrypted and do not appear on kindle.amazon.com. Moreover Kindle for PC does not handle personal documents.

Kobo
Kobo does not offer sync for sideloaded books. Notes are not encrypted but need a USB connection to be exported/retrieved

My last hope was PocketBook:

1- with its DropBox integration, but books only are synced. I was wondering if it is possible to symlink /system/profiles/name_profile/config/Active Content to dropbox folder. But I don't even know for sure if I can execute commands as root on a PocketBook device.

2- with FBReader, which is open source, and seems to sync progress at least in the android version (does the PocketBook version sync with android ?).

I know programming and I don't mind investing both time and money in building an automatic annotation sync system.
Is it feasible, and which device would be my best bet ?
If jail breaking is the way to go, which device to choose for an "easy" jail break ?

Thanks a lot !

Hello I am a programmer (beginner) wishing to export those system "active content" to html and to bring them back into the original page.

With C or C++, can you export me the "note selection" and "my note comments" ?
herewith a template of active content.
https://github.com/spartrekus/ebook-..._fbreader.html

With a search replace in C, we can make it work, but I am not fan of xml ... if you can split it, then, I can bring you the next step.
spartrekus is offline   Reply With Quote