Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Discussion: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Many people have read this series. A movie will be released in 2012. This thread should've been started a while ago.

So, what do you think about Hunger Games?

Last edited by maianhvk; 06-23-2011 at 02:53 AM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Haha interesting timing, I just finished the first book about ten minutes ago. I really enjoyed it. Of course my brother loaned me the first and third book so I will have to buy the second lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
To make it short, I enjoyed the first book best, and the 2nd book least.

- I'd like the ending more fierce than it already was.

- The collapse of everything in the end for the Capitol, along with a new iron-handed government was a good move. I had expected something more mediocre and fairytale-like, but that was common sense.

- However, the first book definitely got 4-5 stars, since it brought up a whole new interesting world in which youngsters battle against each other. Book 1 was very promising, it blew my mind completely. In comparison, book 2 "Catching Fire" was pretty weak, without any really big event, and it was just like a break to prepare for the last book in the trilogy.

Last edited by maianhvk; 06-23-2011 at 06:40 AM.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Loved all three books. I don't think it's the greatest book series ever, nor is the series even one of my favourites, but I think it deserves much of its praise and don't understand why people often compare the series to Twilight, except on a superficial, 'there's love triangles in both series!' angle.

I even liked the last book, though it seems to get a lot of hate and disappointment from fans. It's not very inspiring in a 'winner takes all' sense, and the pacing in plot feels uneven. I think a lot of those criticisms can be applied to the first two books as well though.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
aielloj
aielloj began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I read the first book in a all night marathon read, could not put it down, I really really enjoyed it, the concept was just so unusual. I have not been able to read the second in the series. Probably cause i have hard time with series', they never really measure up.
aielloj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I gobbled those books up last week. I loved the story and appreciated the author's depiction of PTSD in teenagers. I also thought it was interesting how the main protagonist is always active, but does not always have agency. She's being used to promote a political agenda *from the very beginning*. Let's remember that this is a YA series, and as such I think the themes were pretty deep.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
To make it short, I enjoyed the first book best, and the 2nd book least.
Ditto. Returning to the Hunger Game was a bad choice plot-wise, IMO. Been there, done that, didn't need to read about it again.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Ditto. Returning to the Hunger Game was a bad choice plot-wise, IMO. Been there, done that, didn't need to read about it again.
I thought it was a very effective way to highlight the capricious cruelty of the oppressive regime. It was also interesting in how it backfired and became a way for the veterans to band together.

Maybe reading all three books in the space of three days makes a difference in how one perceives the story?
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
teenap
teenap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Maybe reading all three books in the space of three days makes a difference in how one perceives the story?
I read all 3 books in 3 days (over the christmas break) and I agree.

I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did because it was a young adult series. I've since recommended it to at least 10 people. A suprisingly wonderful read!
teenap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
well just finished the third. For me the whole triology went downhill. 1 was great, 2 was repetitive and 3 was just meh.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
well just finished the third. For me the whole triology went downhill. 1 was great, 2 was repetitive and 3 was just meh.

(sorry @maianhvk )

And sorry to disagree with @issybird too, but I think the mistake was not enough of the actual Hunger Games in #2 and #3. That was the whole premise of the series, after all.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I loved them all. (Don't get the 2nd book dislike -- I loved it, and thought the second game felt very natural. Huh.) I seriously feel like they're the best serious YA trilogy I've read; prior to HG, that title went to Pullman's Dark Materials in my estimation. Love them.

Has anyone heard the audiobooks? I really like the narration by Patricia McCormick, esp. since she's "the Law & Order child psychologist" to my ears. Very fitting!

Last edited by anamardoll; 07-01-2011 at 04:28 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Has anyone heard the audiobooks? I really like the narration by Patricia McCormick, esp. since she's "the Law & Order child psychologist" to my ears. Very fitting!
I liked the audiobooks too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I bought the ebooks from Amazon and checked out the audiobooks from the library (simultaneously). For some reason, I was feeling a need every now and then to take a break from listening and just read.

Great little series...really fun and quick.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I read the first book. Collins is a pretty good writer, and it's definitely better than a lot of the recently popular YA stuff. Yes, it's a ripoff of Koushun Takami's Battle Royale, in that it not only borrows the concept but directly takes scenes from it, but I'm pretty forgiving of such things so long as they're done well.

I felt that Collins cheaped out at the end.
Spoiler:
She should have had to kill Peeta. Taking the easy way out compromised emotional depth and complexity. It also suggests that ultimately, the story isn't going to take any major bold moves, which makes it predictable.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunger games, suzanne collins