Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question How to update books on the device without delete them and resend

I have question about how to update the books on the device.

For example, I have sent a book on my kindle. Then, I modified the book on my PC and want to update the modified book to my device.

Normally, I would delete the book on my kindle, and resend it from my PC. But, by doing that I will lost all the data related to the book that I have read on my kindle. Such as, reading progress.

How can I update a book without delete and resend?

Thanks.
JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Why not just resend it?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Why not just resend it?
But, by doing that I will lost all the data related to the book that I have read on my kindle. Such as, reading progress.
JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLiu View Post
But, by doing that I will lost all the data related to the book that I have read on my kindle. Such as, reading progress.
From what I can see in the kindle device driver, all calibre does for a resend is replace the book file. That is reasonable, because there isn't any other way to get new content onto the kindle other than to put it there. If the kindle interprets a change of the book file as requiring reset of the other information, then the kindle is broken.

The more I hear about kindle strangenesses, the happier I am that I don't have one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The more I hear about kindle strangenesses, the happier I am that I don't have one.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ignore the skeptics - I think this is easily do-able:

if you connect kindle to PC & examine the kindle documents folder & any subfolders, you'll see that there are 2 files per book - one holds the book, so the other holds stuff like your reading progress.

so maybe overwriting only the book file ( not deleteing it first) eitehr via calibre or via simple copy /paste will do what you want.

as an additional precaution you could fist off all back up both kindle files to your PC, and replace them later if the initial test fails for any reason.

it may possibly fail if that 2nd file also holds indexing data & your update of the book has affected indexed locations, but the only way to find out is try it & see.

So let us know how it works out.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

My Pocket EZ recently read data will (mostly, for minor edits) keeps my place as long as I change nothing about the file name, as it arrives (always lower case with underscored spaces).
The more I hear about X won't do Y, the more I am smiling that I did not pay big $ and tie myself to a store.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote