Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
hello. is there any nook user from SINGAPORE? i need some help!

i would like to get the nook, but have some queries. can someone help me? any Singapore user here?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Hello!! Singapore user here
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

hello! so excited to know a nook user from singapore! how do you find nook working in Singapore? any problem with wifi or anything? whats your take on nook?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Wi-Fi is perfectly fine - I can browse the B&N eBookstore, although I haven't tried a direct purchase from the nook, for fear of B&N detecting that I'm not in the US. I always buy while switching on Hotspot Shield on my computer.

The Wi-Fi for the web browser works perfectly fine.

Overall, I find the nook perfect for my needs. I don't really annotate much, I just read & maybe the occasional Sudoku or chess with my friends. It's sexy and very easy to use. The LendMe feature was also very cool, someone on the MR forums lent me a book that I've been dying to read.

Browse through the MR nook subforum, you'll find more interesting insights by the very intellectual people here.

The only drawback is the unavailability of 3G access - not that it's important, since it's only useful for browsing the eBookstore. The rumored Wi-Fi-only model is coming out, and it's cheaper. So if you want to save money, I suggest you wait for that one.

All in all, I have no regrets buying the nook. And an awesome Alice Cover in Paper on the way, I'm happy!!

Last edited by Khai; 06-02-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khai View Post
Wi-Fi is perfectly fine - I can browse the B&N eBookstore, although I haven't tried a direct purchase from the nook, for fear of B&N detecting that I'm not in the US. I always buy while switching on Hotspot Shield on my computer.

The Wi-Fi for the web browser works perfectly fine.

Overall, I find the nook perfect for my needs. I don't really annotate much, I just read & maybe the occasional Sudoku or chess with my friends. It's sexy and very easy to use. The LendMe feature was also very cool, someone on the MR forums lent me a book that I've been dying to read.

Browse through the MR nook subforum, you'll find more interesting insights by the very intellectual people here.

The only drawback is the unavailability of 3G access - not that it's important, since it's only useful for browsing the eBookstore. The rumored Wi-Fi-only model is coming out, and it's cheaper. So if you want to save money, I suggest you wait for that one.

All in all, I have no regrets buying the nook. And an awesome Alice Cover in Paper on the way, I'm happy!!
haha! its coming out and cheaper? maybe i'll wait a month or two for it. haha! just maybe. what if they detect that we are outside of US? glad to hear you bought one you love so much. (: i hope i can buy one i love too!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi..I'm in Bangkok, Thailand, your neighbourhood.

If you softroot your Nook, you can use 3G with your web browser with your local SIM.

Confirm you cannot buy ebook direct from Nook.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
lefei
lefei began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just ordered my Nook (Wifi) 2 days ago and I am really excited. It should be arriving some time next week.

Do you have to register your Nook in order to purchase books from B&N?
lefei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
hmmm I'm not from SG but I order nook with the help of comGateway

from what I saw, you can buy book from BN without registering (it's you as user, not your device). However, it's better if you register yourself to BN site since it'll ease yourself when it comes to archiving your buying history.

I'm still waiting for my nook, so I'll leave your question answered by more experienced user
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote