Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Sony Premium Cover & Clip on light...

OK, so I have purchased and am currently using a PRS-300 and loving it very much. The store did not have any Premium covers in stock so I had to order one and it should arrive any day now. I will also be getting a clip on light to use the reader in low light conditions or while reading in bed. I have read many good reviews of the Mighty Bright line, and I would like some info from anyone who has a Mighty Bright (or other led light) and the Sony Premium Cover.

Does the cover fold back on itself, or just flip open like a book? Which light clips on nicely with this cover? I was looking at the XtraFlex 2 LED Light, but the clip looks large on the top part. Anyone use the UltraThin LED Book Light? How is the light output on that? I am concerned with some of the larger clips pushing up on the reader (clipping between reader and cover), or does the light clip onto the reader itself?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi, RonF. I've read that if you keep folding the cover back enough, it will soon bend back easily but I myself prefer to hold it like a book.

Regarding the Mighty Bright lights, I have the Travelflex and the Xtraflex2. The Travelflex lights up the 300 screen well enough and I prefer this to the Xtraflex2. The Xtraflex2 seems too heavy for the cover and I find that if I clip the Xtraflex2 to the cover, the cover will bend back a little. I also don't like the shape of the Xtraflex2's clip -- when clipped to the 300 cover, the cover doesn't stay flat, but curves slightly. If I have time I'll take pictures later to show you
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I tried the case/light combo, and it was just too dim for me. I returned it, and got the other Sony case without the light. I liked the fact it was also a smaller form factor, and therefore the reader would still fit in a coat pocket or cargo pant/shorts pocket.

I picked up a "Pathway lights: Multi-pose Brightbook" at Target. I notice it is not available at the Target site, but only at the stores in the book department. It has 4 leds, two light levels and was only $8.99. It clips on the case with ease, but would not be able to clip on the 300 itself. It works perfect. The low setting is all I need, and it is twice as bright as the high setting on the Sony one. I use rechargeable AAA batts in it....

And yes, both covers from Sony fold around to the back if you want to use them that way. I do a bit of both......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Regarding the Mighty Bright lights, I have the Travelflex and the Xtraflex2. The Travelflex lights up the 300 screen well enough and I prefer this to the Xtraflex2. The Xtraflex2 seems too heavy for the cover and I find that if I clip the Xtraflex2 to the cover, the cover will bend back a little. I also don't like the shape of the Xtraflex2's clip -- when clipped to the 300 cover, the cover doesn't stay flat, but curves slightly. If I have time I'll take pictures later to show you
This was my concern, that the clip was too large to fit between the case and reader without pushing them apart. I would appreciate any pics of both of them. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I picked up a "Pathway lights: Multi-pose Brightbook" at Target. I notice it is not available at the Target site, but only at the stores in the book department. It has 4 leds, two light levels and was only $8.99. It clips on the case with ease, but would not be able to clip on the 300 itself. It works perfect. The low setting is all I need, and it is twice as bright as the high setting on the Sony one. I use rechargeable AAA batts in it....
I found pictures of the light online. I may have to go check out our local Target to see if they carry it. How is the weight on it? Any chance of a pic of it in action so I can see the size of it?

Thank you both very much for the quick replies, I still haven't received the cover so I have some time
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As promised, here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side by side.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	42605   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 travelflex.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	42606   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 xtraflex2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	42607   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 travelflex close-up.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	42608   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 xtraflex2 close-up.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	42609   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 travelflex top.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	42610   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 xtraflex2 top.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	42611   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 xtraflex2 top2.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	42612   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 travelflex side.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	42613   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 xtraflex2 side.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	42614   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 travelflex side hand.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	42615   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 xtraflex2 hand.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	42616  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
King Windom
King Windom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for the pictures. I too am looking for a book light for the PRS-300. The Travelflex looks good. I also found a brochure for the Pathways book light that Bremen Cole is using. That also appears to be a great solution. I will have to make a trip to Target in hopes of finding it. Thanks! Dan
King Windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

And some pics of the little Target light....... sorry for some glare......

Name:	IMG_3992_resize.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	42617

Name:	IMG_3993_resize.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	42618

Name:	IMG_3994_resize.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	42619

Name:	IMG_3995_resize.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	42620

Name:	IMG_3997_resize.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	42621
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
King Windom
King Windom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
That looks good! Thanks for the pics. Dan
King Windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
xtine
Addict

You're welcome!

I love the Travelflex because it's light and handy, but if you look at the pictures again, you'll see the Travelflex's light seems to have a violet/bluish hue compared to the Xtraflex2. I don't know if all Travelflexes/Xtraflex2's are like this, I only have mine to compare against each other

If I use the Travelflex by itself, I hardly notice the light color but when I compare it to the Xtraflex2 (I sometimes clip both lights side by side and turn one on, and the other off, back and forth ), I find myself preferring the light on the Xtraflex2 (even on one LED).

I mostly use the Xtraflex2 at night when I'm in bed. All other times though, I use the Travelflex (and bring it with me everywhere my Reader goes). If I had to choose just one, I'd go for the Travelflex

Last edited by xtine; 01-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
OK, so I have purchased and am currently using a PRS-300 and loving it very much. The store did not have any Premium covers in stock so I had to order one and it should arrive any day now. I will also be getting a clip on light to use the reader in low light conditions or while reading in bed. I have read many good reviews of the Mighty Bright line, and I would like some info from anyone who has a Mighty Bright (or other led light) and the Sony Premium Cover.

Does the cover fold back on itself, or just flip open like a book? Which light clips on nicely with this cover? I was looking at the XtraFlex 2 LED Light, but the clip looks large on the top part. Anyone use the UltraThin LED Book Light? How is the light output on that? I am concerned with some of the larger clips pushing up on the reader (clipping between reader and cover), or does the light clip onto the reader itself?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Why not buy http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665924193 instead?
Basically, it's the premium cover including a light similar to the clip-on-light you mention.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
RonF
Zealot

Bremen and xtine - TYVM for the pics, they are very helpfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
And some pics of the little Target light....... sorry for some glare......
Attachment 42619
In this picture it shows the reader pushed away from the cover, is that just because it's standing up or does the light push it away? The clip looks ultra thin so I'm thinking it doesn't push the book away, but needed to ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Why not buy http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665924193 instead?
Basically, it's the premium cover including a light similar to the clip-on-light you mention.
I had looked at that as well. I will probably only use a clip light ~10-15% of my read time and I didn't want to have the extra weight and size of the permanent light 100% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
As promised, here are the pictures
Thanks again. I was afraid that the Xtraflex2 would do that. Not really interested in having it push them apart.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I've used a mighty bright before...try clipping the light onto the left side of your cover...this will get rid of the reader sticking out. Then you can bend the light into the correct position. Good luck!
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard

RonF said "In this picture it shows the reader pushed away from the cover, is that just because it's standing up or does the light push it away? The clip looks ultra thin so I'm thinking it doesn't push the book away, but needed to ask"

Yes, it is just because it is standing up. It is a thin plastic clip and I often hold the reader with the case folded back with the light on. Really not an issue, at least for me........
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
RonF
Zealot

That's what I thought, thanks for the reply. 2 more quick questions, if the cover is folded back on itself, could the light clip onto both halves or just the back of the cover? Also, is there a light reflection on the 300, you know, like a white dot, from the light?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
xtine
Addict

The Travelflex's clip opens wide enough to be able to clip onto both halves of the cover.

There is a white dot of light but I think it's because I'm using a screen protector on my 300 (I Wrapsol'ed everything from Day 1) but I think without the screen protector, you wouldn't have this problem (don't quote me on that though). But by tilting the light properly (up and slightly away instead of directly hovering above the screen), I can usually get rid of the "white dot"