Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
grenacia
grenacia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Choosing waterproof, high resolution ereader

I've been using an original Kindle Paperwhite for years, managing books in Calibre, and I am looking to upgrade. The main upgrades I want are:

Higher resolution eInk screen
Waterproof
Better font/size options.

Better lighting for nighttime reading would be nice too but less important, so long as it isn't worse.

I ordered a Kobo Aura One and got it yesterday, and my first impression of it is not good. The light keeps turning off suddenly when I am in the middle of using it. When I try to adjust the light by swiping up and down on the left side of the screen, at best it lags and jumps, and at worst it doesn't work at all or scrolls what I'm reading instead. The touch response is bad in general.

Trying to get books from the kobo store and library via the ereader itself has errored a lot. The font options are a small improvement but not exciting.

I'll give it a chance for a little while, but I'm thinking about sending it back if I don't start to like it better or if something else seems like a better choice. Any recommendations?

I've been thinking about the Tolino Vision HD 3 or 4 which seem to have really nice screens and the other features I want, but I'm not finding a lot of information on them.
grenacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
first. i think you have a defective aura one. having said that, the nook glowlight plus is still available. it is waterproof and the screen is not bad at all. i was even able to hack (root) it and install another launcher and customize the images that the standby screen uses. since it is android, there are other reasons to root the device, such as installing other book readers (kindle, google play books, etc.). installing other readers have not worked out for me, but others have done it with varying degrees of success. i don't think you can easily add other fonts for the nook reader itself. but you can install fonts for the android system overall and use other epub readers than nook. your mileage will vary.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you don't like the Kobo Aura One, the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 will do very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
grenacia

I will look into the Nook Glowlight Plus, though I still want to investigate newer, ereaders with really great screens and features like blue-light reduction.

Is the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 better quality than the Aura One? The screen appears to be smaller and lower resolution, and most of the other specs are the same.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really don't want to look into the nook Glowlight Plus. It's not all that good.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Before you make any decisions, you need to see what firmware version the ONE is on, and update it if needed. I suspect you may be running an older fw version. I think a lot of the problems you mentioned have been fixed. I suggest you go to the Kobo forum here and find out more.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
grenacia

According to Kobo Desktop, firmware is 4.3.8945 which doesn't appear to be the newest. But it is not updating when I sync.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo does not release all upgrades to all device at the same time; they're released based on affiliates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm pretty sure you need 4.4.9344. You should go to the Kobo forum here and read how to get the right one and how to put it on your device.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm pretty sure you need 4.4.9344. You should go to the Kobo forum here and read how to get the right one and how to put it on your device.
You can side load the firmware if you want once you are 100% sure you have the correct version.