Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I thought I might buy the aura when it was announced, because I found the hd heavy (compared to the glo), with a slippery back and a bezel (black, only colour available when I bought it) which showed up finger traces.

What I read about the aura made me decide to stay with the hd and its very high definition, bigger screen, good light, and I solved the slipperiness and finger traces with a matte black skin. The weight is still there, but I manage, even with arthritic fingers, and though I occasionally go on a night long reading binge.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
One other small thought: the Kobo Aura has a bezel flush with the screen; the Kobo Aura HD has a bezel like every other ereader on the market: the screen is recessed into the bezel. So, when using a passive light source (the sun, a lamp) rather than the built in backlight, the bezel can cast a shadow on the first several millimetres of screen width -- on the side, or top, or both. That doesn't happen on the Aura.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Its all irrelevant right now as my AURA seems to have developed a fault, and if that happens within 4 weeks it puts me off another one

Feeling gutted right now
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Josieb, let's hope your difficulties get sorted out. Meanwhile, this thread I'm sure does have value to others, so I'm going to make another observation.

Both the Kobo Aura and the Kobo Aura HD can take Micro SD cards -- something no Kindle can do (no E Ink Kindle has a memory-card slot).

Both have the card go into the bottom edge of the device. But, on the Kobo Aura HD, the card goes in all the way, making its edge flush with the bottom of the device. On the Kobo Aura, on the other hand, the card sticks out a millimetre or two even when fully seated in the slot. That has two disadvantages.

One, if you hold the device from the bottom (I sometimes support it in my left hand with my index finger and thumb held in an L configuration) the little blade-like edge of the Micro SD slot is uncomfortable.

Two, if you happen to use Micro SD cards that aren't the same color as the ereader, the part that sticks out is a visual distraction. I sometimes use Sandisk Ultra 16GB Micro SD cards, which are red and gray on the edge that protrudes from the ereader; on my Aura, I've opted for an all-black card instead, because it's visually more appealing; this is a non-issue on the Aura HD.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Josie1b1, I'm pleased to see, in another thread, that you solved your problem by resetting your Wi-Fi router. (Just noting this here, since others may come across this thread via Google or other means; I wouldn't want them to think that, in general, Kobo Auras have such problems.)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'd sell the Aura and replace it with the Aura HD.....

That way you can convince your husband it's a good idea and you don't even need to wait for your birthday by explaining you still have the PW1 for a standard sized reader you can carry out and about (obviously it's not a small and light as the Aura, but it's small enough is it not?), but you've also got the Aura HD for slightly bigger and better screen.

If you want to keep the Aura as well..... good luck convincing your husband.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Josie1b1, I'm pleased to see, in another thread, that you solved your problem by resetting your Wi-Fi router. (Just noting this here, since others may come across this thread via Google or other means; I wouldn't want them to think that, in general, Kobo Auras have such problems.)
Thanks again Robert for posting that all in well in my world again.

And thanks everyone for your comments and inventive suggestions.

I'll take them all onboard and see the land lays after Christmas.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I don't own either, but for me the Aura HD wins over the Aura hands down. I'm hoping to save up & buy one in the near future.

The main innovations of the Aura over the Aura HD are the capacitive touch screen & the new anti-flash technology (Regal) from E-Ink.

I don't even notice the flashing on my Kobo Touch anymore. And I have no problems with the IR touchscreen tech. Heck, I've even managed to use the Touch on freezing cold days with my gloves on because of the IR touch screen tech.

So that leaves the Aura HD's larger screen and much higher resolution. Me want.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I got a Nexus 7 instead of an Aura HD...it is much higher definition and is 16gb. I only paid $10 more than the retail price of the Aura HD, too. I use it at home. I use my Glo on the go. (or my Mini). Love Kobo, but I'm cheap. I feel I got a lot more for my money, getting the Nexus 7 instead of the Aura HD.

ETA - actually 10 GB usable space.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
You got a Nexus 7 for $179? That's amazing! Where'd you find it at that price?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was Staples, they had $50 off coupon. Yes, it was amazing, that's why I jumped on it!

Of course, the Aura HD has a longer battery life, I'm sure.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
The Kobo android app is a complete joke. It's nowhere near as functional as an actual kobo. I have the nexus 7, Aura HD and original Touch. I used to use the nexus 7 to read at night, since the touch had no backlight, but the Aura HD fixed that. Now the nexus 7 is strictly for games/web stuff.

Search around the web. I got my Aura HD December 5th for $90. RedFlagDeals is a wonderful site
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #28
CaffeBreak
Enthusiast
CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.

Device: Aura - Aura HD - Mini
I've had Kindle's since the first one, up to and including the Paperwhite 2. I got so frustrated with the new PW upgrade that I bought an Aura. I liked it so much I also bought the Aura HD. I'm a gadget freak, can't help myself. Anyway, the Kindle's now sit in a drawer. The Kobo's are simply better devices with more features and customizations. They have things Kindle owners have been asking for for years. I think you'd really like the HD if you decide to get it. There's nothing wrong with switching back and forth between them.
CaffeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
RobertJSawyer
Guru

I agree with CaffeBreak. I own three Kindles (two Kindle Keyboard 3G units, one Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi unit). Never use 'em. Kobo Aura HD is my ereader of choice (and my second favorite, actually, is the Kobo Mini -- really handy size, very pleasant to use).
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I don't use the Kobo app or any other store app on my Nexus (or any other device). I don't like any of them. I do buy books from Kobo but I disinfect and side load them.

And I totally agree that Kobo eink readers are superior to Kindles. I returned my PW2. I am done with them. My Kobo does what I want it to, no hacking needed. Definitely the best I've ever used. I haven't had an opportunity to compare an Aura HD to anything, but I can say that the text is sharper on my Nexus, than on my Glo. I usually only realize it when I switch from one to the other, or hold them side by side.

m_bisson, if I saw an Aura HD for $90, you better believe I would get one. I wouldn't be able to resist, for that price.

CaffeBreak, the PW2 update is what caused me to return mine. Even though three months had passed since I bought it, they returned every penny of what I spent. So you might want to contact them.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.