Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Feedbooks Store Launched

It seems that some time last week, Feedbooks opened an online store. It has lots of Big Name Authors (I've spotted William Gibson, Charles Stross, Mercedes Lackey...). Everything seems to be in ePub format.

Feedbooks have been talking about launching a store for quite a while now, so it didn't come out of the blue, but I'm surprised they didn't make some kind of announcement, even if just on their own blog!

I spotted our own pdurrant's Kai Lung Raises His Voice up there, so maybe he could give us the skinny on what's going on over there.

As for the elephant in the room: the good news is that after you have chosen a category to search, like Bestsellers or Fantasy, it is possible to further search by DRM, Watermark or DRM Free (pay attention, Kobo Books!). The bad news is that when I chose DRM Free, all those lovely Big Name Author's went "poof". There are maybe a dozen DRM Free books on the entire site. And despite Feedbooks pro-Watermark stance, there are even less of that category on the site. I've no info on how or if they are dealing with geographic restrictions.

Maybe the store will get better as time goes on, but for now the site is for ADE users and Evil Pirates only.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
interesting... just looking on the front page, an Edgar Rice Burroughs piece for 3.79 which is MUCH cheaper elsewhere
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I'll give them a look.

One thing I'm wondering is if they have the fomatting sorted in these books and they never have any italic text in their public domain offerings, so hopefully the publishers have produced some good books.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
It seems that some time last week, Feedbooks opened an online store. (I've spotted William Gibson, Charles Stross, Mercedes Lackey...)
Maybe it's my browser, but I haven't been able to locate any William Gibson or Charles Stross. Going to ebook store > science fiction > high tech didn't bring them up either.

It could still be in 'beta', explaining why there hasn't been any announcements yet.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried searching?

http://www.feedbooks.com/search?query=Charles+Stross
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I did. I got all sorts of weird results the first two pages then I couldn't get anything to render properly. I'm using a beta version of a substandard browser foisted upon my by my employer, so I'll try again when I get home.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Unless their strange search results made a royal hash of my searching, it looks like books they used to have as free PD downloads are now anywhere from 4.49 to 6-something. That kind of ticks me off, especially when you consider how much traffic readers have driven to their site, and how it was readers who alerted them and defended them when that bunch of wankers was "selling" links to Feedbooks. What's the difference, really, between someone selling a link to Feedbooks' free books and Feedbooks selling formerly free books?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Unless their strange search results made a royal hash of my searching, it looks like books they used to have as free PD downloads are now anywhere from 4.49 to 6-something. That kind of ticks me off, especially when you consider how much traffic readers have driven to their site, and how it was readers who alerted them and defended them when that bunch of wankers was "selling" links to Feedbooks. What's the difference, really, between someone selling a link to Feedbooks' free books and Feedbooks selling formerly free books?
Relax If you look at the top of the webpage, you will see three tabs: eBook Store, Public Domain and Original Books. Click on Public Domain and you'll see the usual free downloads.

All of the PD texts for sale in the ebook store seem to have been uploaded by a publisher called The Floating Press. I'm sure if questioned they would say that they have carefully created new appealing covers, proofread and formatted these PD texts and it is this service that they are charging for Think I'll stick with MobileRead's offerings, myself!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Hm, I don't see any information for authors on the bookstore pages. I wonder if this is just a tentative roll-out, with further details to come.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post

All of the PD texts for sale in the ebook store seem to have been uploaded by a publisher called The Floating Press. I'm sure if questioned they would say that they have carefully created new appealing covers, proofread and formatted these PD texts and it is this service that they are charging for Think I'll stick with MobileRead's offerings, myself!
Sigh, that didn't take long...

Also, perhaps on a related note (or not), Feedbooks hasn't released any free PD books in a long time (month or two anyway).

Last edited by JeremyR; 12-10-2010 at 01:16 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote