Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
OK, thank you.
So I need an Sony USB-Charger, to charge the 350, if I don´t want to use a running Computer for charging...

And, Yes, the "xt Papyrus PageOne" is looking very very fine!
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Well my aluratek 5" fits nicely in my back pocked even in the case.
I find the 5" screen not that much different from PB if you use the landscape mode you get about 1/3 of page in portrait you fit maybe 1/2 page depends what font size you use.
And it breaks easier in your pocket too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #33
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
OK, thank you.
So I need an Sony USB-Charger, to charge the 350, if I don´t want to use a running Computer for charging...

And, Yes, the "xt Papyrus PageOne" is looking very very fine!
So far there have been two different reports regarding whether you need the Sony Charger or not. When I get my 350 (hopefully within days) I'll let you know. Everyone except one person reported that any of their USB chargers work, including iPod, iPad, cell phone, and other store bought units. One person is reporting that these units are not working for him. Because of this discrepancy I suspect that he has a malfunctioning Reader, and I wonder if the Sony charger would also not work for him, since there is really nothing magic about USB chargers.

The one company who is notorious for pulling these kind of stunts is Apple and their video cables for iPods. I'm not aware of Sony ever doing this. Most companies recommend their chargers for their products because 1) they charge more and make more profit and 2) they do not want to be liable for their product if you use a cheap sub-standard component.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #34
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Because of this discrepancy I suspect that he has a malfunctioning Reader, and I wonder if the Sony charger would also not work for him, since there is really nothing magic about USB chargers.
"She," and I'm wondering this myself, but I don't want to lay out $30 for the Sony charger to find out, and I'm thinking that if I call support about using non-Sony chargers, they'll just take the line that I need to use the Sony charger.

(Maybe once the Sony chargers make it to Targets and Best Buys I'll get one to test it out--then at least it won't cost me shipping to return it.)
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #35
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Sony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22;
...The one company who is notorious for pulling these kind of stunts is Apple and their video cables for iPods. I'm not aware of Sony ever doing this...
Think about the Sony Memory Stick, while every other Companies use the SD-Cards...
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #36
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
quick question....the Sony's use a special "charger" for to charge a device via USB?

I ask because I never ran into a device that when charging via USB needed other than the correct USB cable.

If that is really the case, it would sure be sooooo freaking Sony...with their "not built here" company mindset. If not the case then any $2 USB cable with the correct end to attach to your reader should do what is needed...I mean the USB 2.0 is only gonna supply 5V give or take a bit so I don't get why a special charger is needed. Any needed voltage regulators should be built into the reader. I just have not paid attention to the details of how the Sony readers work...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #37
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
"She," and I'm wondering this myself, but I don't want to lay out $30 for the Sony charger to find out, and I'm thinking that if I call support about using non-Sony chargers, they'll just take the line that I need to use the Sony charger.
Sorry, my bad, your gender wasn't obvious from your screen name.

Since this post I've read about several other people using cell phone USB chargers successfully on their Readers.

Yes, your idea about checking it out at Best Buy / Target sounds right. Then if it doesn't work you can just exchange the Reader. Best of luck.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #38
Robert22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
Think about the Sony Memory Stick, while every other Companies use the SD-Cards...
Yes, your right! Good catch.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #39
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Just as I no longer buy shirts that don't have a breast pocket for my pencils, hearing aid batteries etc, so I'm beginning to look at jacket pockets to make sure they have room for at least my Iriver, and preferably the diary/wallet I started using a year and a bit ago.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote