Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
LilMissMarie
LilMissMarie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (red)
new here.....having a hard time deciding which reader

Update....thanks everyone for your help. i happened upon frys sale flyer and they had the Sony 300 on sale for $160. but only the silver model. i didnt like how far it was from me, so i called the sony store (closer) and asked if they would price match....they said they would for all three colors, they had all thiers on sale for $170 anyway. well come to find out, they had few displays of the 505 (fully functional, not stripped down). for what he said was 40 % off. which would make it $180. i still didnt want to pay that much used. so he sold me the red (color i wanted to begin with) for $150, with a full manufacturer warranty. i havent seen the model go for less used, so i bought it, hopefully i can learn how to get books onto it that arent from sony store now.

i found a Sony 505 where i live. its just under $200. i found a jetbook in a store for $200 where i can get 20 % off. and now the kindle has been reduced in price, and then of course the nook coming out.

can somone please tell me what advantages and disadvantages one has over the other? waiting for sonys new one isnt an option as its way out of my budget. ive been reading on here and looking at reviews for these devices online for a couple days now. and i thought i wanted the 505 which is why i went to great lengths to find one. i didnt purchase it yet. i keep checking, its still there. i know i need to make up my mind soon (if im to get the 505, as they are alot more on amazon and ebay).

i want a reader that of course supports various formats. i want to be able to keep a copy of my book on pc or expandable memory of some sort. and if need be, down the road if i so choose to use a differant reader then be able to use it on that as well. is that possible?

thanks everyone

Last edited by LilMissMarie; 10-25-2009 at 01:40 AM.
LilMissMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would recommend the Sony 505 because it has expandable storage, functions like a portable hard drive, has a great screen and is able to read ebooks borrowed from the library.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissMarie View Post
i want a reader that of course supports various formats. i want to be able to keep a copy of my book on pc or expandable memory of some sort. and if need be, down the road if i so choose to use a differant reader then be able to use it on that as well. is that possible?
Welcome, LMM.

The various formats eliminates the Kindle as an option. The ability to read your books on different devices is more dependent on what type of ebooks you have. You'll need non-DRM epubs for that. Generally that means you will have to buy epubs and remove the DRM yourself (lots of threads about that here at MR). Right now Sony sells lrx's, but they are going all epub at the end of the year and you'll be able to re-download any books you get from them in epub format. All the devices allow you to keep copies of your ebooks on your computer or discs, etc, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I recommend thinking about what you like to read (e.g. sci-fi, classics, best-sellers or newspapers), how you read (e.g. what font size) and where you read. This will help you set criteria and narrow down your options.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissMarie View Post
i found a Sony 505 where i live. its just under $200. i found a jetbook in a store for $200 where i can get 20 % off. and now the kindle has been reduced in price, and then of course the nook coming out.

can somone please tell me what advantages and disadvantages one has over the other? waiting for sonys new one isnt an option as its way out of my budget. ive been reading on here and looking at reviews for these devices online for a couple days now. and i thought i wanted the 505 which is why i went to great lengths to find one. i didnt purchase it yet. i keep checking, its still there. i know i need to make up my mind soon (if im to get the 505, as they are alot more on amazon and ebay).

thanks everyone
Between the Sony and the jetBook, I put my money where my mouth is and bought a jetBook. The jetBook was a little cheaper, supported more formats, and if you can read it on a jetBook, it's by definition yours to keep, since it doesn't do DRM. It also doesn't do internal hyperlinks, and only has two fonts, both sans-serif. It does come with a boatload of dictionaries, excellent folder and orgnization support, and very good search capabilities. Its ergonomice are also excellent, with 3 hand positions (maybe 4 if you have big hands) to avoid strain. If you're aware of its limitations going in (which I was), it's a very good little device.

The Sony has a bigger, slightly lower contrast screen, is a little less portable, and has a longer battery life. You can also read DRMed files from Sony or Adobe. It's not a bad choice.

Recently, I got my sister a Kindle. That's my sister the English major. Kindle wins in ease of use, hands down, but not much else. She loves it.

Good Luck,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
... and if you can read it on a jetBook, it's by definition yours to keep, since it doesn't do DRM.
Where do you buy books? Isn't your selection very limited?
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Where do you buy books? Isn't your selection very limited?
Depending on what you read, you can wind up saturated by content. In many cases, I can't read all of what people want to give me for free. Short fiction, essays, etc. are all a glut on the market.

If you want to buy immediate best sellers, you'll have to learn how to strip DRM from the books you buy. It isn't hard.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
If you want to buy immediate best sellers, you'll have to learn how to strip DRM from the books you buy. It isn't hard.
Sites that peddle epubs (e.g. Books on Board) have considerably higher prices than Sony's ebook store. So even if you can produce a useful ebook, it will cost you more. Something to consider.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Who am I to say, Marie?

No question.

Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The refurbished K1 has replaceable battery, sd card slot, and carries a full one year warranty. You have 30 days to return if you do not like it, pay only shipping. NO restocking fee.

Oh,..........and yes you can borrow books (mobipocket) from the library also, using the kindlefix script.

Did I mention it was $149 with free shipping? and no tax?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
LilMissMarie
LilMissMarie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (red)
well it dosent seem that im buying the 505. the store i was going to buy it from (last one in area among the chain) was holding it for me fri night, i was there at close. went in yesterday morn. gone. im assuming they did another markdown because the cover was marked down again. which leads me to assume an employee bought it. why else would they sell it right away and it not be there. it was held for me to purchase, why decide to sell it to someone else? unless of course someone there wanted it for themselves. so needless to say.....i will no longer shop at that store. im POed beyond all belief. and now that it looks like im going to have to spend more than $200 im not sure which ereader im going to get. i may wait till Dec to see what the nook may bring, idk though. i could have went to walmart (which has many, just $30 more) and bought one and not dealt with the BS. i told the manager on last night, that no way in hell i expected a walmart experiance there.
LilMissMarie is offline   Reply With Quote