Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Request: 500 & 700 Comparison Pics

I would appreciate it tremendously if one of the brave and/or lucky 700 owners could take some pics comparing it with a 500. I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 700, but I'm concerned about the screen. Of course I'll eventually manage to check it out in person, but in the mean time a comparison between a 500 (what I have now) and a 700 would be a big help.

For example, if the 700's screen being worse than a 505 wouldn't necessarily be a problem for me as long as it's not worse than the 500's screen.

Can anyone help out with this particular comparison?

Thanks,

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd also be interested in seeing this. for now there is one (rather tiny) photo in the review by mobiletech mentioned in this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=287763
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2

500 on the left.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that's the same one i was talking about, but it would be nice to see some bigger, higher-res photos too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
I just sold my prs-505 ... now I think I'll go for a prs-500!

Holy Molly !

The PRS-500 is way better than the PRS-700!!

And it can be bought at U$S 180 (only did a search in amazon).

Now my concern is how compares a prs-505 to a prs-500
grr

enrique
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That photo is from an article that's very bizarre. They have that picture you see in this thread and then they have a picture that shows the 700 screen to be better then both of those screens. So do not take that photo at any value at all. The 500's screen has less contrast then what the photo shows. That photo is just wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That photo is from an article that's very bizarre. They have that picture you see in this thread and then they have a picture that shows the 700 screen to be better then both of those screens. So do not take that photo at any value at all. The 500's screen has less contrast then what the photo shows. That photo is just wrong.
Maybe this photo is wrong but there are still many members of this
board who bought a 700 and returned it back because the screen was
awful...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The 505 screen is much better than the 500. As the 700 is newer than the 505, it makes sense to compare it to that machine -- and when you do so, its screen is not satisfactory, in my opinion.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
I've been trying to get a decent photo of the 2 together, but it's very hard to get a clear picture where there's not glare on the 700. It really picks up the glare easily. Maybe I'll try taking a picture outside during the day. But the truth is, I mostly read my eReader indoors, and the 700 screen just isn't cutting it in indoor lighting.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Interesting -- I'm finding the 700 is perfectly fine indoors. I also find that the pictures people have posted haven't done justice to the clarity of the 700 screen. Yes, it's not as brightly crisp as the 505, but it's essentially the same as the 500, only with the touchscreen (which is what is making the difference) the increased functionality is worth it to me.

If a person has used the 505, I can understand finding the different appearance of the 700 to be hard to cope with, but I've read the 500 for a year and a half now and find the 700 is just as easy to read.

As for the glare issue, yes the 700 screen has more glare than either the 500 or the 505. But the damned SONY machined into the aluminum on the 500 kept reflecting light into my eyes and distracting me from the 500 so I was always angling that for least distraction and find no difference with the 700. It's not as if I find it hard to get an angle with no glare.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote