Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eReaders do you own?
1-5 85 68.55%
5-10 30 24.19%
10+ 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
How many of you are E-Reader Collectors?

I'm curious as to how many of you collect eReaders? I sometimes feel like I spend more time collecting eReaders than actually reading eBooks. I'm curious as to how many others are collecting, and which eReaders they are collecting. I have the following:

Entourage Edge
iPad 1st Gen.
iPad Mini 1st Gen.
Slick
RCA REB 1100
PRS 300
PRS 505
PRS 700
PRS 900
Cybook Opus
KF HD 3rd Gen. (3)
KF 1st Gen.
Nook Color
Kindle DX
Literati Sharper Image
Tagus
Kobo 1st Gen.
PW 3rd Gen.
KT (2)
KT2 (2)
KO2
K2
K3
K4
Pocketbook Pro 602
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I have 5, but I mostly just use the two newest ones (which aren't new anymore by a long shot). It's not that I really want to keep the old ones, it's just that I don't feel it's worth the effort to try to sell them for so little money. Might as well just leave them in the pile and charge them up occasionally.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
To me an ereader is just a tool to read ebooks with.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I have about a dozen. Different sizes, some with lights, some without. I read on one for a while and move onto a different one for various reasons. Usually it's whatever reader fits in whatever purse I want to carry. Sometimes I have multiple books going on multiple readers.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
To me an ereader is just a tool to read ebooks with.
Apache
I agree but I also seem to acquire excessive tools. I'm in the process of selling some of my extras.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #6
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
They're already becoming collectible, like old cell-phones or even old personal computers. Tucked away in my wardrobe I have my first PC: A TRS80 portable the size and weight of a heavy duty sewing machine, with (gasp!) two five and a half inch floppy disc drives, 64 K ram, a huge 6 inch green screen, and its original manuals, all pristine. Still works, too, with TRS DOS disc and a Word Processor software disc. Come to think of it I still have all my dead cell-phones, starting with a flip model like Gibbs in NCIS.

I also have most of the cameras I've owned, from a black cubic box brownie from when I was 12 or so, to my current Nikons via numerous 35mm SLRs starting with my first, an East German Exa I bought second hand back in the Jurassic era.

eBook readers? so far, my first two Kindles. Think how little space they take up!

Maybe I should be one of the first in my city to hit the second hand stores and see what's floating about, before anyone else wakes up and the prices go up for the rare models. And as a bonus, they might still have all the eBooks on them from the previous owner.

It's the collector wave of the future! Next stop, Antiques Roadshow. Sneakyspider's really onto something here.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 05-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm curious as to how many of you collect eReaders?
Way too many ...

(I'll be getting rid of some, especially duplicates, "any day now.")

All my eReaders (except for the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight) are non-front-lit. My eyes don't work well with front-lit eReaders. I don't know why. I don't count the Amazon Fires as eReaders, because I don't read on them, but I guess they can be added to the list ... Fire 7 (2017), original Kindle Fire and a Kindle 8.9" HD (that I inherited from my daughter, who doesn't like tablets).

Unique models of eReaders that I currently own are ...
(m) = two or more ...

Nook Simple Touch (my first eReader)
Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Kindle Keyboard (m)
Kindle 4 NT (black model)
Kindle Touch (m)
Kindle Basic (8th Generation)
Kobo Wireless/WiFi (never sure which to call it) (m)
Kobo Touch (m)
Kobo Mini
Sony PRS-505 (m)
Sony PRS-300 (m)
Sony PRS-600 (m)
Sony PRS-700
Sony PRS-900
Sony PRS-350 (m)
Sony PRS-650 (m)
Sony PRS-950
Sony PRS-T1 (m)
Sony PRS-T2 (m)
Astak EZReader PocketPro
Ectaco JetBook
Sharper Image Literati (waiting for power supply)

I've also got some kind of pouch or case (several lighted) for all of these. The cases are sometimes harder to find than the readers. Almost all the multiples will (eventually) go -- as well as some of the readers that I'll never use (Sony 600, 700 and 900) and probably the Literati and Ectaco. The EZReader was on that list, but it's got an amazing battery life. It's been over six weeks since I charged it and it's still showing a full battery? (More testing needed.)

Sorry to ramble. WAY too many eReaders here (and this doesn't include the ones I've handed to my kids).

One I would like to find, but they're as rare as hen's teeth in this country, is the Trekstor Liro Mini (or Pyrus). They look tiny. I would also like to find a Pocketbook 360, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-03-2018 at 01:17 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I only have one, and won't be buying another until that one breaks. I'd rather spend money on ebooks than ereaders.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I do have 4 ereaders but I do not want to become a collector. I mostly use only one of them and I would spend time in reading instead. Those ereaders were bought one after other in the search of better features like frontlight, TTS etc. I do not feel like buying any more devices in near future.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Those ereaders were bought one after other in the search of better features like frontlight, TTS etc. I do not feel like buying any more devices in near future.
Exactly. With good resolution, front light and a larger screen, I've got what I need/want*. It's hard for me to imagine a qualitative improvement sufficient to be worth the additional outlay while my current gadgets are working. I admit, though, that sometimes you don't know what you want/need until it's out there (I don't need or want audio capability).

*That said, if the new Clara is 5" with high res and a frontlight, I'd probably want one, but not to the extent of buying it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I only have one, and won't be buying another until that one breaks. I'd rather spend money on ebooks than ereaders.
I don't pay a lot for these. And, when I sell one, I've cleaned it up, tested it, updated the firmware and can (more or less) guarantee its fitness for use. But I definitely need to sell some (a lot) of these.

As for buying books ... most of the novels I read come from the library. And then there's a ton of good books in the public domain. Mostly what I buy are books that I could have downloaded from Gutenburg or Archive.org, but the ones I buy have been cleaned up and formatted properly -- so they're worth a couple or three dollars for that. I do think I've bought more eReaders this year than eBooks ... but that will change. I've pretty much tried out all the old eReaders I was curious about and I've figured out that ... I tend to like whichever one I'm currently using. Especially now that I know I can convert eBooks to the Constantia font in Calibre. A lot of good choices out there. And these things are cheap.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have one dedicated ereader. A Kindle 2 US that hasn't been used in years (except to keep it updated).

I do have two Kindle Fire tablets (a 7" Fire HD 2012 model, and the 2017 Fire HD10), a Nexus 7 (2013), and a Google Pixel 2 XL, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I wouldn't call myself a collector, more an acquirer. All my devices are either Kindle or Kobo and if I were truly a collector I'd branch out more.

That said I'm not in any hurry to get rid of any of my 7 devices. I have had two in past that a sold on and at least one of those - my original Kindle 2i - I regret parting ways with.

Occasionally I find myself browsing ebay looking at Sonys or Nooks and others but I've not bought any.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
My oldest is a Rocket.

Kobo WiFi

2 Nook ST

Nook Color

Nook HD+

Kindle Paperwhite 3

Fire phone

Fire 8 inch

Some of those might not be classed by some as book readers. The Nook Color and HD+ are in a drawer and haven't been turned on for at least a year. I'd get rid of them but have problems throwing working stuff out. The Rocket I'm actually hanging onto. The batteries are pretty useless in it and I don't think the serial port software to load it would even work on modern computers. My youngest uses one of the NST for library books and the other sits in a drawer.
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I don't purposely collect e-readers but I seem have amassed a few in the search for one that suits my usage.

Sony PRS-350 (x2) - not used much due to lack of front light so battery's probably gone bad by now
iRiver Story HD - cracked display
Kobo Aura HD - not used, didn't feel comfortable in hand
Kindle Paperwhite (x2: x1 registered, x1 jailbroken unregistered)
Kindle Paperwhite 32GB Manga (x2: x1 jailbroken registered, x1 backup)

The PW Manga was purchased from Woot at $90. Price was too good to pass up so I got an extra when they went in stock again. At 300 ppi, I can comfortably read manga on the Kindle.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote