Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
AZW3 - not able to browse TOC entries

Hello.
I have a weird problem with an AZW3 file: I can't browse through the locations in the book that correspond to the entries in the TOC.ncx file. As you know, usually you can jump between locations by clicking on the left and right arrows in the "book navigation" menu (in kindle models with touch screen), or by pushing the arrows on the square button below the screen (in the older models).

In this specific file, though (which was converted from EPUB), this navigation doesn't get past the second item. I attach both the ePUB and the AZW3 file.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Lagunario - Isabella Panfido.azw3 (664.6 KB, 209 views)
File Type: epub Lagunario - Isabella Panfido.epub (575.5 KB, 214 views)
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Hello.
I have a weird problem with an AZW3 file: I can't browse through the locations in the book that correspond to the entries in the TOC.ncx file. As you know, usually you can jump between locations by clicking on the left and right arrows in the "book navigation" menu (in kindle models with touch screen), or by pushing the arrows on the square button below the screen (in the older models).

In this specific file, though (which was converted from EPUB), this navigation doesn't get past the second item. I attach both the ePUB and the AZW3 file.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.
"Converted" how? I dropped this AZW3 into KP3, and I'm not seeing the issue. Perhaps I don't understand it? Seems to work fine for me. Are you saying that this doesn't work on KF7 devices? Or...?

What device(s) or Previewers are you using to test it?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@1v4n0:

I just converted the book with KindleGen and got the following error message:

Quote:
Error(prcgen):E24011: TOC section scope is not included in the parent chapter:Collana IL ROSONE
Error(prcgen):E24001: The table of content could not be built.
@Hitch:

Did you ever encounter E24011?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@1v4n0:

@Hitch:

Did you ever encounter E24011?
No, but curiously enough, my original thought was that it didn't have an HTML TOC. I did a cursory glance, and saw the xhtml TOC (at the back of the book, sigh, Calibre.....) added to the Guide in the OPF, and figured I was wrong--but that would certainly explain his issue.

Doits, try dropping in on KP3, and see if it works for you--it did for me, sans any type of error. (I dropped the AZW3 on it, not the ePUB, fwiw.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
"Converted" how? I dropped this AZW3 into KP3, and I'm not seeing the issue. Perhaps I don't understand it? Seems to work fine for me. Are you saying that this doesn't work on KF7 devices? Or...?

What device(s) or Previewers are you using to test it?

Hitch

It was converted from ePub with Calibre, and I'm having the issue with two different kindle devices.

The issue I'm having is that I can't jump from one chapter to the previous or to the next. Also the chapters don't show in the progression bar at the bottom of the screen (normally there's black marks in the points where the TOC.ncx entries point to).

Last edited by 1v4n0; 06-07-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Error(prcgen):E24011: TOC section scope is not included in the parent chapter:Collana IL ROSONE
I have seen that error before. It happens when there are nested NCX TOC levels and the order of entries in the TOC does not match the order of the content in the book. The most likely cause is a incorrectly manually edited TOC.

In this case the OPF spine has:
<itemref idref="content0003_0007.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="toc.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="content0003_0008.xhtml"/>

but the NCX TOC has:
<content src="Text/content0003_0007.xhtml#heading_id_17"/>
<content src="Text/content0003_0008.xhtml#heading_id_18"/>
<content src="Text/toc.xhtml#heading_id_19"/>

Notice the swapping in the order that "toc.xhtml" appears with respect to the others.

Calibre's editor and AZW3 converter apparently do not check for this sort of problem, even though it can cause problems for some Kindle devices.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
1v4n0
Groupie

Yes! That was it, thank you. There were a few inconsistencies in the original epub file (and I guess in the converted AZW3 too) in the order of the items between the spine in the content.opf file and the toc.ncx table of contents.