Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #796
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2017
Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post
Hi!

I have followed all the instructions (I think) and still cannot get night mode to work on my Kobo Glo. I copied and pasted the koboroot.tgz in the .Kobo file on my reader, ejected my reader and it restarted and everything but still I cannot get the night mode to turn on. When I hold down the light button it just turns the backlight on and off. Please help! I'm trying to read in bed at night but the backlight wakes up my partner so I am really hoping I can get this to work!

Cheers
Try setting the brightness to 11 (if you haven't changed the default configurations) and wait for 5 seconds.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #797
kirabee
Junior Member
kirabee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What firmware version are you running, and which version of the hack did you install?
Im not really sure what firmware is and i installed the version on github, is there another one i can find?
Thank you!
kirabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #798
kirabee
Junior Member
kirabee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Try setting the brightness to 11 (if you haven't changed the default configurations) and wait for 5 seconds.
I tried that but i got nothing 😞 thanks anyways though!
kirabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #799
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 14,848
Karma: 24696656
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post
Im not really sure what firmware is and i installed the version on github, is there another one i can find?
Thank you!
The firmware version is displayed on the Device information page of the settings. And github repository? There is at least two mentioned in this thread. I posted one the other day because of an update, but if you are on old firmware, it won't work.

And did the device restart and do an update when you disconnected after putting the file on the device? Has the file been removed? Is the configuration file in place? Have you changed the configuration options to how you want it to be used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #800
kirabee
Junior Member
kirabee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The firmware version is displayed on the Device information page of the settings. And github repository? There is at least two mentioned in this thread. I posted one the other day because of an update, but if you are on old firmware, it won't work.

And did the device restart and do an update when you disconnected after putting the file on the device? Has the file been removed? Is the configuration file in place? Have you changed the configuration options to how you want it to be used.
Oh man I don’t know what any of those things are haha
The software version is 4.8.11073, is that what you mean by firmware?
This is the github link I used: http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode/

Yes the device restarted! The first time I did it it actually completely reset itself and I had to redownload my books and set up the reader again. Then when I tried to install nightmode again it just restarted and read ‘updating’ but I got nothing..

What are configuration options?
Thank you so much 😊
kirabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #801
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 14,848
Karma: 24696656
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post
Oh man I don’t know what any of those things are haha
The software version is 4.8.11073, is that what you mean by firmware?
This is the github link I used: http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode/
That one won't work with the firmware version you have. I would work with any firmwar version up to about 4.2.x. The link I gave a few days before it the one to use for recent firmware version.
Quote:
Yes the device restarted! The first time I did it it actually completely reset itself and I had to redownload my books and set up the reader again. Then when I tried to install nightmode again it just restarted and read ‘updating’ but I got nothing..

What are configuration options?
Is that a serious question? Did you read the page you download the hack from? It did have an explanation of the options. And when you install the hack it creates a configuration file that has explanation of the options.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #802
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2017
Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post
I tried that but i got nothing 😞 thanks anyways though!
I just realised you don't need a hack if you don't mind nightmode always enabled. You can just enable this in settings (This is working in Glo HD, not sure Glo). Try below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
you can edit Kobo eReader.conf this is in

KOBOeReader/.kobo/kobo

You'll need to enable show hidden folders, just google for instructions on that using whatever OS you use

ex. show hidden folders windows, or show hidden folders OS X

open that file with either notepad++ on windows, or textedit on OS X and add the following


[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

it is possible [FeatureSettings] already exists, if it does just add the invertScreen=true under it.

Save changes, then eject the Kobo. You may need to reboot it for this to take effect.


To undo this, just remove whatever lines of text you added to that config file and repeat the steps above.
If using hack, may be you neeed to change settings in nightmode.ini located in your .kobo folder as given here https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nightmode

Change
[state]
invertActive = no

to
[state]
invertActive = yes
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:55 AM   #803
marp68
Groupie
marp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheesemarp68 can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 166
Karma: 1002
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sweden
Device: Kobo Glo HD
I updated my GloHD a few weeks ago and installed the old night mode patch again. It didn't work. But I found a way that works "randomly" strange enough. I first slide the left side up accordingly to 100 % (changed the setting to 100 instead) and wait at least 5 s. Nothing happens. But if I then press the little sun icon in the top meny (the other way to adjust the light) and then back, the screen inverts. Sometimes it stays inverted, sometimes it just go back. But if I then turn the device off completely and then on again, it mostly inverts.

Have absolutely no clue why. Sometimes I have to do this several times to get the device to invert.

I will try the latest patch to see how this work.

Last edited by marp68; 06-11-2018 at 04:58 AM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #804
kirabee
Junior Member
kirabee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2018
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That one won't work with the firmware version you have. I would work with any firmwar version up to about 4.2.x. The link I gave a few days before it the one to use for recent firmware version.


Is that a serious question? Did you read the page you download the hack from? It did have an explanation of the options. And when you install the hack it creates a configuration file that has explanation of the options.
Where can I find that link that you posted? Thank you.

That’s a bit rude to ask me if that’s a serious question when I am asking for help and clearly don’t really know what I am doing as this is quite advanced for my knowledge regarding tech. I thought this was a friendly forum where we could ask questions. This is the page I used:
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...kobo-ereaders/

And no it never mentions anything regarding configuration settings. Thank you for your help.
kirabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #805
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 14,848
Karma: 24696656
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee View Post
Where can I find that link that you posted? Thank you.
It is in this thread about three posts before your first post. In a long running thread like this, it is probably a good idea to read the last couple of pages to see what has been happening.
Quote:
That’s a bit rude to ask me if that’s a serious question when I am asking for help and clearly don’t really know what I am doing as this is quite advanced for my knowledge regarding tech. I thought this was a friendly forum where we could ask questions.T his is the page I used:
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...kobo-ereaders/
You asked "What are configuration options?" That is such a basic thing that is needed for any bit of software, that it doesn't really seem a credible question. And the page you linked to actually had a description of the how to configure the hack. And, yes, there was some sarcasm.
Quote:
And no it never mentions anything regarding configuration settings. Thank you for your help.
From the page, with a bit of emphasis:

Quote:
If you want to give night mode a try, here’s how to do it. I’ll give the short and simple method; more detailed information can be found on MobileRead and Github. There are directions over there to further tweak the settings if you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #806
RobertJSawyer
Evangelist
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
RobertJSawyer's Avatar
 
Posts: 411
Karma: 1785518
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Device: Kobo Aura HD and Aura; Kindle PaperWhite; Tolino Epos
Has anybody actually tried the latest nightmode version (https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...ster/installer) on the new Kobo Clara HD? Does it work? I know it's supposed to, but I haven't actually seen a report from anyone who has tested it yet. Many thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #807
timeisart
Junior Member
timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 9886
Join Date: Jul 2018
Device: Kobo Clara HD
Clara HD night mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Has anybody actually tried the latest nightmode version (https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...ster/installer) on the new Kobo Clara HD? Does it work? I know it's supposed to, but I haven't actually seen a report from anyone who has tested it yet. Many thanks!
working on my Clara HD with the latest 4.9.11311 firmware. I've got the toggleNightMode brightness set to 3% and left the enableNightMode and disableNightMode at their default 12% and 13% brightness respectively, all of which work after waiting for 7 seconds, which I set the timeout to.

I uninstalled it once because I thought it wasn't working but maybe I just wasn't waiting long enough after setting the appropriate brightness? It worked the second time though.
timeisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #808
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover
 
Posts: 20
Karma: 16228
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Earth, somewhere in the southern hemisphere
Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisart View Post
working on my Clara HD with the latest 4.9.11311 firmware. I've got the toggleNightMode brightness set to 3% and left the enableNightMode and disableNightMode at their default 12% and 13% brightness respectively, all of which work after waiting for 7 seconds, which I set the timeout to.

I uninstalled it once because I thought it wasn't working but maybe I just wasn't waiting long enough after setting the appropriate brightness? It worked the second time though.
Would you be so kind as to post some instructions on how you installed it? Especially on the part that regards the activation/deactivation of night mode, as the Clara HD does not have a button for the light. From what I was able to find, I will need to install KoboLauncher to activate/deactivate night mode, but I found no explanations on how to use KL to turn night mode on or off.

In my Kobo Glo (recently deceased due to an unfortunate accident), I used the light button, pressing it for a second longer to turn night mode on/off. I got the new Clara HD to replace the Glo and am missing dearly night mode.


Thank you in advance for your help.
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #809
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,801
Karma: 21644862
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisart View Post
working on my Clara HD with the latest 4.9.11311 firmware. I've got the toggleNightMode brightness set to 3% and left the enableNightMode and disableNightMode at their default 12% and 13% brightness respectively, all of which work after waiting for 7 seconds, which I set the timeout to.

I uninstalled it once because I thought it wasn't working but maybe I just wasn't waiting long enough after setting the appropriate brightness? It worked the second time though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbug View Post
Would you be so kind as to post some instructions on how you installed it? Especially on the part that regards the activation/deactivation of night mode, as the Clara HD does not have a button for the light. From what I was able to find, I will need to install KoboLauncher to activate/deactivate night mode, but I found no explanations on how to use KL to turn night mode on or off.

In my Kobo Glo (recently deceased due to an unfortunate accident), I used the light button, pressing it for a second longer to turn night mode on/off. I got the new Clara HD to replace the Glo and am missing dearly night mode.


Thank you in advance for your help.
As mentioned, the configuration file uses some of the settings for the brightness slider to trigger night mode. The defaults in the nightmode.ini file are 11% = toggleNightMode, 12% = enableNightMode, 13% = disableNightMode. Timeisart changed the 11% to 3% to toggle nightmode. Basically change the brightness level to 11% and wait for 7 or so seconds and nightmode will toggle. Ditto with 12% and 13% for the on/off. You might want to double check that you have the newest version from gtalusan's github page. The link today was kobo-nightmode_build13.zip.

I haven't tried this on an Clara since I don't own one but on an Aura One, you still need to force inverted mode in nightmode.ini, the toggles don't seem to work. At one point, this was explained as to how the Aura One handled the brightness levels due to ComfortLight Pro and the auto control. If I'm going to force inverted mode, I might as well just edit Kobo eReader.conf to add the invert setting there.

To install nightmode, copy the koboroot.tgz file from the installer directory in the .zip file to the .kobo directory, safe eject and watch your Clara restart and install. Once it is installed, you can edit the nightmode.ini file in the .kobo directory to change the options.

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

Last edited by DNSB; 08-02-2018 at 02:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #810
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Mrs_Often's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,483
Karma: 1952116
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I haven't tried this on an Clara since I don't own one but on an Aura One, you still need to force inverted mode in nightmode.ini, the toggles don't seem to work.

You don't have to force inverted mode on the Clara HD. Just install with the .tgz and it all works. You don't even have to adjust any settings in the .ini file if you don't want different settings.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glo Night mode ? Ethanaul Kobo Reader 1 07-23-2013 10:23 PM
does 'night mode' use more power? pumpkincat Kobo Tablets 10 02-25-2012 01:39 PM
Odyssey Anyone using Night-Mode? DuckieTigger Bookeen 2 01-28-2012 12:13 PM
help with night mode golfgirl Kobo Tablets 5 11-04-2011 10:40 AM
Is there a night mode? zeroh Nook Color & Nook Tablet 5 12-04-2010 10:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.