Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
brennivin
brennivin began at the beginning.

Device: Augen - The Book, Coby Kyros MID7015
so you've got Augen's The Book ... now what?

A number of threads, reviewing and decision making for the Augen The Book are out there. But I didn't see anything talking about upgrades and aftermarket. And thats where I'm at with mine ...

Cases - Fortunately The Book comes with a decent case. But I'm always on the lookout for something new. Especially because ideally, I'd like to have a few slots for SD cards, a pocket for headphones, and a kickstand type setup that can do both portrait and landscape. Ideally But The Book is odd shaped. Either taller or skinnier than others. So finding a suitable case/sleeve is tricky. Know of any?

Firmware/software - I'm ok with most of it. Ideal? No. But functional. However, I'm curious if, since it's Linux based, anyone's taken on updating the firmware themselves? Or at least some parts of it? I'd love better video and music playback. Or image zoom functions that allow for four-directional scrolling. Etc. Anyone?
brennivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
protheus
protheus is on a distinguished road

Device: Augen TheBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennivin View Post
Firmware/software - I'm ok with most of it. Ideal? No. But functional. However, I'm curious if, since it's Linux based, anyone's taken on updating the firmware themselves? Or at least some parts of it? I'd love better video and music playback. Or image zoom functions that allow for four-directional scrolling. Etc. Anyone?
Ok, so this question I can help you with. As of the time I bought it a few months ago I could not find anyone who'd actually tried, but I did find some others interested in seeing it done. There wasn't much information at all on how you'd go about it at that point, so I started my own project: Open The Book; That's all I've got for now. It contains enough information (and tools) to get you into the firmware images that they distribute and modify them. It also contains information about how one might modify a stock Linux kernel to run The Book and a few other bits and pieces. Let me know what you think.

Chris
protheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
brennivin
brennivin began at the beginning.

Device: Augen - The Book, Coby Kyros MID7015
If only I had the remotest skills to get into any of that programming myself. Thanks though! I'll keep an eye on your site.
brennivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
protheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennivin View Post
If only I had the remotest skills to get into any of that programming myself. Thanks though! I'll keep an eye on your site.
I have the skills, but I don't always have the time and inclination. Even so, I have enough information now to say that it's very likely to be an easy (if slightly time consuming) project. There's a good chance I will get around to attempting a few adjustments to the firmware soon. From there, building an entirely new set which I'd be able to distribute is not out of the question. It may be a while yet.

Chris
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Augen's The Book sits next to my Pandigital Novel, on a shelf I call "The Island of Misftit eReaders".

I had great hopes for The Book, but Augen orphaned it like a red headed step child.

I love the Island of Misfit eReaders, but life is short, and my reading list is long.

" lest old eReaders be forgotten, and never brought to mind..."

Cheers to the Island of Misfit eReaders!

So say we all!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I still use "The Book" for reading in bed, for DRM'ed public library pdfs, and for other non-DRM'ed formats that my Sony Reader can't handle.

It's not a bad reader after the two updates, and I appreciate that Augen provided the entire executable Linux OS before abandoning it, in case I ever need to reflash the whole thing. Still, I always suspected that with a few software tweaks, it could have been a whole lot better.

I've checked out your "Opening The Book" website, Chris. Lots of good information there. Thank you. I hope you do find the time and the inclination to create some alternate firmware. Now that I know that the .upg images are (modified) cramfs, I might be able to look through some of the .conf files at least.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
protheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Now that I know that the .upg images are (modified) cramfs, I might be able to look through some of the .conf files at least.
You can, indeed. I have. The root image is CRAMFS. The "system" one is (strangely) broken ISO9660. I have manifests which list every file in each of them for the initial firmware upgrade on the site if you'd like to look through them. Also the aiconv tool you can find there should fix (and later re-break if you like) these images for you so that you can loopback-mount them.

Chris