Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Is it possible to convert an audiobook into an ebook?

I've been asked to help someone convert an audiobook he purchased into text for eventual conversion to an ebook (a digital version of the book is not available).

Is this even possible? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks for any assistance.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I've been asked to help someone convert an audiobook he purchased into text for eventual conversion to an ebook (a digital version of the book is not available).

Is this even possible? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks for any assistance.
Theoretically it could be done with speech recognition software.
It seems to be easier to buy the book and scan it though.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suppose you could use a program like "Dragon Dictate" to do it. Such programs work very well for normal speech; it would depend, I guess, whether the audiobook had much in the way of background music - some do.

This really doesn't strike me as a terribly sensible thing to try to do. If you must have an eBook and the book isn't available as an eBook, it would be 1000x easier (and better) to OCR the paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

This really doesn't strike me as a terribly sensible thing to try to do. If you must have an eBook and the book isn't available as an eBook, it would be 1000x easier (and better) to OCR the paper book.
Thank you! I didn't even consider this option and will recommend to my friend to do it this way.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Or hire a good touch typist to type it up for you?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
it would be 1000x easier (and better) to OCR the paper book.

Or 1000000x easier just to listen to the audio book?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Or 1000000x easier just to listen to the audio book?
Ear books are better than eye books
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am

LOL! My friend has a specific need for digital text. I told him to buy the book and scan it and he is now moaning that the book is 740 pages long and scanning each page will take him *forever*.

He was hoping to just have the audiobook "read" into a word document and magically have the text appear Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL! My friend has a specific need for digital text. I told him to buy the book and scan it and he is now moaning that the book is 740 pages long and scanning each page will take him *forever*.

He was hoping to just have the audiobook "read" into a word document and magically have the text appear Any ideas?
I've already said - he could use a program like "Dragon Dictate" or "Naturally Speaking" but:

1. They are not cheap. They cost MUCH more than the audiobook cost.
2. Speech recognition is nowhere near as reliable as OCR.
3. There are companies who will scan a book for you at a pretty modest cost. See, for example, http://1dollarscan.com

Last edited by HarryT; 03-07-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:

What might be that special need?
Dragon Dictate was mentioned. The software needs training to be accurate(you have do dictate a given teaxt into the PC first).
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Ear books are better than eye books
Unless I am driving I always fall asleep in the middle and have to start over.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I've used the most recent edition of Dragon, and it is really not good at all for pre-recorded voices. (It works much better for direct speaking, for various reasons.)

One thing to remember: voice recognition will not insert punctuation for you. Punctuation is usually very important in a book, so you're going to have a LONG post-processing job ahead of you.

And even at a 99% recognition rate, that means 1 in 100 words will be wrong. And whoever is editing will have a really fun job fixing that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I've used the most recent edition of Dragon, and it is really not good at all for pre-recorded voices. (It works much better for direct speaking, for various reasons.)
The biggest obstacle, I would imagine, is that it can't be "trained". Training (speaking a predefined text into the program) dramatically improves its accuracy.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
The biggest obstacle, I would imagine, is that it can't be "trained". Training (speaking a predefined text into the program) dramatically improves its accuracy.
In my case it did not -- the training actually worsened the already bad performance. I supplied my speaking profile and recorded voice to Nuance, and they confirmed there was nothing wrong with my voice or my files.

I'm currently the front page Amazon review on the Professional version, which I ended up sending back. The comments have largely supported the problems across both genders. (Originally, one theory was that the software just wasn't tested for women-speakers.)

I really wanted the software to work, and I went through the training very rigorously, so that was disappointing.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's interesting - thanks for the feedback.