Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #106
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Leave it to Apple to milk the customers.
Samsung Tab 16G: $499
Samsung Tab 32G: $599

RIM Blackberry Playbook 16G: $499
RIM Blackberry Playbook 32G: $599
RIM Blackberry Playbook 64G: $699

HP Touchpad (pre-firesale) 16G: $499
HP Touchpad 32G: $599
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #107
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Samsung Tab 16G: $499
Samsung Tab 32G: $599

RIM Blackberry Playbook 16G: $499
RIM Blackberry Playbook 32G: $599
RIM Blackberry Playbook 64G: $699

HP Touchpad (pre-firesale) 16G: $499
HP Touchpad 32G: $599
Well, it worked for Apple. Can you blame them for trying to jump on that particular bandwagon?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #108
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post

Frankly, now that I have used my iPad for 9 months, I would have opted for the 32 if I had it to do over . Since I was a first time buyer ( and cheap) I was cautious. There is a sense in which you really can't judge these things really until you actually use it. I use my iPad pretty much every day all day along, so i know I'm getting value for my money. And occassional use of 3G would actually be good, even for a non-biz user. H'mm, I think I'm talking myself into upgrading. Must.... resist....
The 32 was certainly the sweet spot for me. Had I bought the 16, I probably would have upgraded to the iPad2/32/wifi. As it is, I'm waiting for the third or maybe even fourth iteration. It might come down to how long my battery lives. Right now, I have more than enough juice.

Obligatory Dropbox comment: Dropbox is really useful on iOS devices. I expect that Apple's iCloud will push Dropbox to adding features making it worthwhile to continue using it. But I don't have any idea what they might be.

Last edited by Harmon; 09-14-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #109
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Not a "techie power user" here.
But you are right people dish out hundreds of buck for a device only to realize a few months later that they need more memory space and will have to dish out a few hundreds more for a new device.
They won't milk me . Despite what I WANT , the 16G does everything that I NEED, and I'll use it till it breaks or goes obsolete, whichever one happens first. More storage generally tends to be a matter of wants, not needs anyway. Besides, I've got everything backed up in iTunes on the PC. If I need to make space, its just not a big deal.
Moreover, once iCloud launches, I'll get another 5G of space as cloud storage to play with (more if I shell out -Oh, the cost of an SD card or two).

I think I'm good. Thanks for your concern.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #110
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Well, it worked for Apple. Can you blame them for trying to jump on that particular bandwagon?
I'm not blaming anyone, for "milking the customers" or anything else. They are all offering a choice.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #111
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Uh, actually disk mode is a old school iPod feature. It's not included in any iOS device.
I didn't realize that, but the functionality is still there. It's just a question of how you access it.

http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/

Last edited by Harmon; 09-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #112
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

[QUOTE=ST-One;1741612]

You couldn't get an SD card to work? Really? They are as easy to use as a USB-stick.
QUOTE]

If you get the right one. I have a car stereo system that will play files off of an SD card, but some brands it likes, & some it doesn't.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #113
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I didn't realize that, but the functionality is still there. It's just a question of how you access it.

http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/
That's not exactly the same thing, as you would need to first install this application onto each and every computer you wish to access an iOS device's file system from. It won't make the device register as a P&P USB drive.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #114
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
They won't milk me . Despite what I WANT , the 16G does everything that I NEED, and I'll use it till it breaks or goes obsolete, whichever one happens first. More storage generally tends to be a matter of wants, not needs anyway. Besides, I've got everything backed up in iTunes on the PC. If I need to make space, its just not a big deal.
Moreover, once iCloud launches, I'll get another 5G of space as cloud storage to play with (more if I shell out -Oh, the cost of an SD card or two).

I think I'm good. Thanks for your concern.
Hmmm.... Toshibe Thrive. $429 plus an SDXC slot, and a user replaceable battery. Eventually the firmware will catch up to the SDXC slot. And 128GB cards today, 2 TB someday?

(I suspect it'll still be working 10 year from now, with the user replaceable battery...)

But then again I'm old school. I remember when Apple stopped selling low memory Apple IIs (May 1980), so they could get $200 more for chips that cost $50 in the open market, and probably cost them $10 in massive bulk...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #115
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Spot on. A flawed approach in my opinion, Samsung et al. don't enjoy the "cult status" of Apple to pull it off.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #116
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Hmmm.... Toshibe Thrive. $429 plus an SDXC slot, and a user replaceable battery. Eventually the firmware will catch up to the SDXC slot. And 128GB cards today, 2 TB someday?

(I suspect it'll still be working 10 year from now, with the user replaceable battery...)

But then again I'm old school. I remember when Apple stopped selling low memory Apple IIs (May 1980), so they could get $200 more for chips that cost $50 in the open market, and probably cost them $10 in massive bulk...

Well, I suspect you are quite a bit more techie than the average user, and you would have no problems troubleshooting the kind of SD card problems mentioned above. You know what "firmware" is, for example- a word that the average user would not have heard of or understood. It's always kind of interesting to realize that the technically sophisticated think that the general poulation is or should be just as technically adept as they are, and don't understand that the average user values simplicity, convenience and security a great deal more than the techincally adept do.
You clearly think that Apple is taking advantage of the average consumer here, and maybe they are. But then again, maybe the average consumer is willing to trade off greater expense and lack of choices in return for simplicity and convenience.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #117
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Spot on. A flawed approach in my opinion, Samsung et al. don't enjoy the "cult status" of Apple to pull it off.
Didn't take long for attacks on Apple to become attacks on Apple customers. So now , we are members ofa cult, are we?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #118
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Didn't take long for attacks on Apple to become attacks on Apple customers. So now , we are members ofa cult, are we?
Now be fair, it did take over a 100 posts which is quite a bit longer than in some threads...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #119
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
It's not an attack, did you miss the quotes? Anyway, you may want to read this.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #120
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
You clearly think that Apple is taking advantage of the average consumer here, and maybe they are. But then again, maybe the average consumer is willing to trade off greater expense and lack of choices in return for simplicity and convenience.
You keep saying average consumer. But average consumer of what: mobile devices, electronic devices, Apple devices?
Spoiler:
On the topic of the off topic discussion:
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote