Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #136
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I have an iPad-I don't own a digital camera
My sister has an iPhone-she doesn't have a digital camera
For a lot of folks-especially younger ones-their phone IS their digital camera.
I would say that techno-sohispicates and serious photographers know SD cards and understand that they come in different flavors, etc. But that's not the average phone user.
We obviously live in different worlds. I walk down the high street and in the shops there, or those in airport and railway outlets, or in malls and consumer superstores I see rack after rack of SD cards for sale. And not just in electronics or camera stores. You can buy them in newsagents, stationers, pharmacies and department stores.

My impression is that most people understand that you stick them in the device and save stuff to them.

Sometimes it's a bit more complicated - I agree with the comments on the the way older versions of Android prevented installing apps, rather than data, to cards - but nothing that the average person can't figure out. And mostly it's not more complicated.

You stick the card in the device and save stuff on it. If you stick it in a computer a folder pops up showing you your stuff, just like the other folders.

Dropbox is wonderful, I use it all the time, but I'd happily take the bet that more of my friends and family know how to use an SD card than Dropbox.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #137
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The user interface complication does not come from it being an SD card, but from having multiple different storage options.
And for anyone not somewhat techy, the initial Android approach to SD cards *was* a bit odd in how it was implemented at first, at least according to some enthusiasts, including some right here who are definitely techy. And a phone (or tablet) is certainly a bit more complex in how it deals with storage than a camera, including what should and shouldn't be stored on the SD.

And as noted before, obviously implementing SD storage isn't trivial-witness Motorola's difficulty in getting their SD slot activated on the XOOM, and the issues WP7 users struggled with.

As you said-not rocket science, but pretending it's been a slam dunk experience on mobile phones and tablets is stretching it (esp. compared to other consumer devices that use SD Cards)

Last edited by kjk; 09-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #138
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I would say that techno-sohispicates and serious photographers know SD cards and understand that they come in different flavors, etc. But that's not the average phone user.
I guess you are implying the the "average phone user" can no longer figure out how to put a CD or a DVD in a player and punch the START button.

Using a SD card really should be no more complex. If it is, (or there are compatibility problems), that is the problem of the OS writers, not the users.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #139
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I think that people who own digital cameras are very familiar with SD cards. People who don't own digital cameras-not so much. Even now-in fact, especially now- people just use ththeir cameras as phones, and most non-smartphones don't have SD cards slots.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #140
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that people who own digital cameras are very familiar with SD cards. People who don't own digital cameras-not so much. Even now-in fact, especially now- people just use ththeir cameras as phones, and most non-smartphones don't have SD cards slots.
It should also be noted though, that in order to get the photos off those non-smartphones the standard way is to connect them to a PC, up pops the folder, drag off your stuff... essentially the same action but shifted to a computer - which is what we're arguing that your average user could figure out when using a tablet.

(Points above regarding poor implementation accepted.)

Graham
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #141
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Using a SD card really should be no more complex. If it is, (or there are compatibility problems), that is the problem of the OS writers, not the users.
Note "should". It apparently IS more complex, on mobile devices. Android seems to have made a hash of it, Microsoft implemented SD card capability with limitations, and Apple avoided the problem altogether. All different and (defensible) design choices.

A certain lazy person (guess who?) said, "things should be made as simple as possible , but no simpler." That sums up nicely Apple's approach to design. Apple's way is to figure out the best and simplest way to do something , and implement only that way. With Android, you get every option, and its up to the consumer to choose an option. Microsoft is kind of in the middle.
Apple's approach to storage is simple: internal storage only, three levels , and three price points. Not much flexibility, but you know in advance what you are getting.
Android gives you a base level, but removable storage options. You can mix, match, and change -but you might also have to do research, go on forums, and figure out which SD card works best. If you are a techie, you're fine with that. Non-techies prefer Apple's "appliance" approach. There you have it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #142
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It should also be noted though, that in order to get the photos off those non-smartphones the standard way is to connect them to a PC, up pops the folder, drag off your stuff... essentially the same action but shifted to a computer - which is what we're arguing that your average user could figure out when using a tablet.

(Points above regarding poor implementation accepted.)

Graham
You'd be surprised how few people know how to get their photos off their phones. A lot of people just take photos, keep them on their phones, and share those photos by handing their phones to somebody. The average user isn't quite as techie as techies believe.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #143
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Note "should". It apparently IS more complex, on mobile devices.
I can't think of a simpler way than what Android does. You connect the phone to your PC, and green android appears on your screen, you touch it, your SD card is mounted and you see it on your PC. When you're done, you eject from the PC and off you go. Yes, it is simpler not to have an SD card and have no file transfer capabilities (other than a convoluted way via iTunes), but if you want the extra capacity, SD card is the way to go.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #144
Graham
Wizard

Well, at least among the younger generation I'd hazard a guess that they know how to get the photos off and up to Facebook. But I won't argue the percentage as neither of us can really know.

However, out of interest:

Quote:
Android gives you a base level, but removable storage options. You can mix, match, and change -but you might also have to do research, go on forums, and figure out which SD card works best. If you are a techie, you're fine with that.
Quote:
You'd be surprised how few people know how to get their photos off their phones. A lot of people just take photos, keep them on their phones, and share those photos by handing their phones to somebody. The average user isn't quite as techie as techies believe.
Are you counting the people who read the little booklet that comes with the phone which explains how to use it (and which SD cards to buy), or who wonder what the USB lead is for, among the 'techies'?

Graham
Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #145
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Well, at least among the younger generation I'd hazard a guess that they know how to get the photos off and up to Facebook. But I won't argue the percentage as neither of us can really know.

Are you counting the people who read the little booklet that comes with the phone which explains how to use it (and which SD cards to buy), or who wonder what the USB lead is for, among the 'techies'?

Graham
Assume that they can read. Sadly, in the US today, there is no assurance of that...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #146
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are making Apple users look like imbeciles - which most of them most certainly are not.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #147
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I can't think of a simpler way than what Android does. You connect the phone to your PC, and green android appears on your screen, you touch it, your SD card is mounted and you see it on your PC. When you're done, you eject from the PC and off you go. Yes, it is simpler not to have an SD card and have no file transfer capabilities (other than a convoluted way via iTunes), but if you want the extra capacity, SD card is the way to go.
What can I say? I did not have that happy-clappy experience with SD cards when I installed and tried to use an SD card on my Android phone. Maybe because it was a pre-2.2 phone? Maybe I had the wrong type of SD card? I don't know . It wasn't simple for ME.

Last edited by stonetools; 09-15-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #148
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
What can I say? I did not have that happy-clappy experience with SD cards when I installed and tried to use an SD card on my Android phone. Maybe because it was a pre-2.2 phone? Maybe I had the wromg type of SD card? I don't know . It wasn't simple for ME.
Well, you weren't alone. Lifehacker did a roundup of their biggest Android annoyances, and SD card operation was right up there.

Quote:
On "stock" Android phones, the USB mounting process is multi-step (plug, pull-down, click, click, wait, wait more, go). On customized Droids and HTC phones, you've either installed special Windows/Mac software to recognize your phone, or it's the same kind of annoyance.
Lifehacker's readers tend to be on the more technical side, as well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #149
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:

Graham
Look, I don't know what you are arguing here. If you are trying to show that SD cards work all the time, that ALL mobile devices should have SD card slots on them, and that Apple is wrong for not including them on mobile devices, well, that's your opinion.
I think what you have are different design choices and you pick the one you like, understanding that others have different opinons , life experiences, and levels of technical knowledge. I'll just leave it there.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #150
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
I'm sorry, but you are making Apple users look like imbeciles - which most of them most certainly are not.
Well, it appears that you like SD cards and think that anyone who doesn't share your preference for them is an imbecile. Says more about you than about Apple users, really.