Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
james_
Enthusiast
james_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & H2O
Question Kindle Oasis Generations?

Hi all
Just added a Kindle Oasis to my collection of eReaders.. but not entirely sure of the generation. It has a variable warm light - does that make it a 2017 or 2019 model? How do you work out what is the latest ... or earlier.. versions?
thanks in advance!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
shamanNS
Evangelist
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
IIRC only the latest Oasis model has that "warm light" feature...

Here it is called Oasis 3 (3rd gen). Amazon's marketing calls it "Kindle Oasis (10th Generation)".
You can double check the identity of your Kindle via serial number:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Oasis 1 (2016) - 6'' screen and the charging cover, the back of the reader is plastic

Oasis 2 (2017) - 7'' screen, no charging cover, aluminum back

Oasis 3 (2019) - The warm light feature, otherwise identical to the Oasis 2
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
ps67
Addict
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Oasis 1 (2016) - 6'' screen and the charging cover, the back of the reader is plastic

Oasis 2 and 3 are completely different from Oasis 1, I wonder why they have the same name and the only answer I find is that Amazon likes the name Oasis for their top reader.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Oasis 2 and 3 are completely different from Oasis 1, I wonder why they have the same name and the only answer I find is that Amazon likes the name Oasis for their top reader.
Well, they have the same irregular shape and physical buttons, the rest of the Kindles don't have either. But yes, they're quite different otherwise.
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

The battery is slightly larger on the Oasis 3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
james_
Enthusiast
james_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it isjames_ knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & H2O
Smile

Thanks!
Looks like I got a better deal than expected.
I have the latest Oasis plus the leather case. I had to do a bit of minor refurbishment on the Oasis and un-bend it, as it looks like the previous owner had sat on it, so it was a bit concave... and the leather case needed a bit of polish to make it look acceptable. But for half the price of a new one, I'm not complaining.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
Thanks!
Looks like I got a better deal than expected.
I have the latest Oasis plus the leather case. I had to do a bit of minor refurbishment on the Oasis and un-bend it, as it looks like the previous owner had sat on it, so it was a bit concave... and the leather case needed a bit of polish to make it look acceptable. But for half the price of a new one, I'm not complaining.
It comes that way out of the box. It seems so stiff, I don't see how you avoided cracking the glass.

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=bend

Last edited by j.p.s; 04-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I think there's some minor form-factor differences between the Oasis 2 and the Oasis 3 regarding placement of magnets and stuff.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I think there's some minor form-factor differences between the Oasis 2 and the Oasis 3 regarding placement of magnets and stuff.
The form factor is exactly the same. Magnets are placed differently, yes.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:22 PM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Wake/Sleep magnets differently placed on the two models and the original Oasis G9 partial back coverage magnet held on cover will not stick to the G10 reader.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:16 AM   #12
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
That's what I thought. Which I would consider "minor form-factor differences".
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
That's what I thought. Which I would consider "minor form-factor differences".
It is actually a major inconvenience. The magnets that the official covers use to stick to the front are still there, but the half covers (Aftermarket and Amazon) do not attach to the back anymore. Also many Aftermarket covers don't work for auto wake sleep anymore. Amazon covers do work for sleep for both.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Just a comment on generations. Per reviews the Oasis 1 was probably the least successful Kindle reader ever. The internal battery was minute and the magnetic cover with battery was on the heavy side and apparently had problems with the contacts on the battery making good contact with the reader contacts so not a very reliable power source. Cover attached via magnets so not locked into exact position on the reader apparently. This is one of the few Kindles I do not have along with the PW1 and early Kindle Basics.

The original Amazon design magnetic attaching cover for the Oasis G9 was another disaster per buyer reviews. Not secure on the reader and did not fully cover the reader metal back. Expensive too. Provided minimal drop protection. I have that cover and replaced it almost immediately.

Last edited by Richwood; 04-22-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Just a comment on generations. Per reviews the Oasis 1 was probably the least successful Kindle reader ever. The internal battery was minute and the magnetic cover with battery was on the heavy side and apparently had problems with the contacts on the battery making good contact with the reader contacts so not a very reliable power source. Cover attached via magnets so not locked into exact position on the reader apparently. This is one of the few Kindles I do not have along with the PW1 and early Kindle Basics.
Not every Oasis 1 had problems with contacts or attachment. Mine didn't. It worked perfectly. I actually liked it very much and was a bit sorry to sell it, but I just no longer read on 6'' screens, so didn't have any use for it.