Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2021, 05:36 AM   #631
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
I've opened a PDF in Edge browser, it had previously been annotated on my computer using Xodo and subsequently on the Elipsa. Both sets of annotations are readable in Edge.
The Xodo ones are fully flexible with underlining in various colours, highlighting and proper saved notes. The Elipsa simply adds wonky highlighting and writing, none of which is integrated into the document itself.
Example: ugly dark marks made by my stylus, the others by Xodo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/...SB--e3PdCJiNkA
My response is the same as before. Great, it works in a completely different application. But, that doesn't prove it should work anywhere else. We know reasons for it not to work on the Elipsa. Kobo has been up front with the rules. You need to see if your books follow those rules. Then, you can work out exactly what the problem report you send to Kobo is. One is a bug, the other is an enhancement request.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #632
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Can't access the image.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #633
Obscured
Enthusiast
Obscured began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook P78; Onyx Boox Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Can't access the image.
Trying again -
Obscured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #634
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
I've opened a PDF in Edge browser, it had previously been annotated on my computer using Xodo and subsequently on the Elipsa. Both sets of annotations are readable in Edge.
The Xodo ones are fully flexible with underlining in various colours, highlighting and proper saved notes. The Elipsa simply adds wonky highlighting and writing, none of which is integrated into the document itself.
It is clearly integrated into the document itself otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it in Edge. The Elipsa is doing free form highlighting and writing like you would do on a piece of paper. It's still annotating and it's still embedded in the PDF it's just not what you want.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #635
Obscured
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
It is clearly integrated into the document itself otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it in Edge. The Elipsa is doing free form highlighting and writing like you would do on a piece of paper. It's still annotating and it's still embedded in the PDF it's just not what you want.
Yes, you are correct. However the point I am struggling to communicate is the (let's be charitable) ambiguity of Kobo's statement on their website, when they say:PDFs with digital rights management or permission limitations are not compatible with markups or annotations.
Does this not imply that PDFs without any limitations should have the same interactive options as epubs?
They don't.
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #636
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I don't really see how that implies that annotation and markup features for PDFs that support it would be the same as what's available with ePubs. Just that some PDFs don't support annotations and markup.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #637
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Problems editing PDFs

One of the main reasons I got the Elipsa is to annotate students' PDFs.
However, the annotation is very buggy and unpolished.

Problems:
1. Annotations stay on every screen. I annotate something and change the page, but my scribbles stay in place. If I add more, the previous ones remain. They disappear (and get assigned to proper pages) only after I close and reopen the document, which is very annoying.
2. Sometimes annotations disappear. One time the annotation didn't get saved (I restart the document and they are gone) until I restarted the device.
3. Annotations are very slow and laggy. A single line is fluent and great, but if you write in "computer font" with separate letters (which I do as English isn't my native language), multiple letters will be "rendering" while you write.
4. Often the next page action is triggered instead of annotation. I put the hand on the device and the moment I start writing, it's already on the next page (Semi-related, how is it slower at turning PDF pages than my Kindle Paperwhite from 2013?).

As such, I'd like to ask people that have experience with firmware updates from Kobo, whether these issues are likely to be fixed or if there is some bug-tracker where I can post my issues?
Currently, I'm considering returning the device, even though I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #638
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Reading many of these posts makes me glad I followed the old axiom "never buy version 1 of anything". The Elipsa sounds like a promising start, my gratitude to all the guinea pigs who may well be enhancing the user experience for later adopters.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #639
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Reading many of these posts makes me glad I followed the old axiom "never buy version 1 of anything". The Elipsa sounds like a promising start, my gratitude to all the guinea pigs who may well be enhancing the user experience for later adopters.
Glad to be of service.

Reminds me of a similar phrase, "You can tell who the pioneers are; they're the ones with arrows sticking out of their backs."
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:19 AM   #640
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. However the point I am struggling to communicate is the (let's be charitable) ambiguity of Kobo's statement on their website, when they say:PDFs with digital rights management or permission limitations are not compatible with markups or annotations.
Does this not imply that PDFs without any limitations should have the same interactive options as epubs?
They don't.
So, you have explicitly checked the books to make sure that they do not have any limitations? So far, you have not told us this. So far, you have just said, "Xodo does". As you have demonstrated that you can annotate some PDFs on the Elipsa, you need to work out why some can't be annotated.

Kobo have made the rules clear. You need to see if your experience is consistent with those rules or not. If it isn't, then you can report the bug to Kobo. Or go back to the PDF creators, and ask them not to disable annotations.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #641
Obscured
Enthusiast

https://www.flickr.com/photos/963957...posted-public/

Last edited by Obscured; 07-11-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: image
Old 07-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #642
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which usually means someone has forgotten to authorise their device before putting a book on it that has Adobe DRM.

Or are you trying to make some point? If so, you might want to explain it.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #643
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
What's your point?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #644
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Well, I've been using Xodo on my computer and it has no problems with any PDFs.

I'm not familiar with Xodo. Is it ignoring the DRM flags? Or are you saying that the Elipsa is unable to annotate a DRM free PDF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #645
Obscured
Enthusiast

Sorry about the ambiguity of my post above. It was in partial answer to davidfor who asked: So, you have explicitly checked the books to make sure that they do not have any limitations?
This message appeared when I loaded a book with DRM - my PDF that showed markups didn't generate such an error message; so I thought that this indicated the probability that my earlier PDF was free from DRM.