Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #3166
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished The Princeling - Book 3 of Morland Dynasty by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles and narrated by Elizabeth Proud. Another good story woven within history - this time primarily during the early day of Elizabeth I.

Also finished Animal Farm by George Orwell and narrated by Benjamin May. Picked up along with 1984 for $.99. Excellent story - been years since I read it but loved the audiobook more!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #3167
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently reading/listening to In Fury Born by David Weber, narrated by Vivienne Leheny. The book is, of course, way too long, but that's ok this time because I can just zone out when Weber goes off on one of his (lengthy) diversions into extraneous and excruciating detail. And the narrator is good. Not great, but good.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #3168
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Most of the way through Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu - narration a good fit, but can't recommend the underlying material; case of a book proposal outline with flawed execution.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #3169
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading/listening to In Fury Born by David Weber, narrated by Vivienne Leheny. The book is, of course, way too long, but that's ok this time because I can just zone out when Weber goes off on one of his (lengthy) diversions into extraneous and excruciating detail. And the narrator is good. Not great, but good.
I would love to hear your final review, it's a book that is on my list to buy.

Just finished up The Armageddon Inheritance by David Weber and read by Jonathan Todd Ross. It's a good book and I enjoyed it. It's an early Weber.

Just started on Murder on the Orient Express, the Agatha Christie classic narrated by Kenneth Branagh.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #3170
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

Just finished up The Armageddon Inheritance by David Weber and read by Jonathan Todd Ross. It's a good book and I enjoyed it. It's an early Weber.

Just started on Murder on the Orient Express, the Agatha Christie classic narrated by Kenneth Branagh.
Three stars. Lots of MilSF action, but way too much of the usual Weber detail. And the whole final sequence revolves around a literal deus ex machina. Narration was fine, but not defining - I'd happily read another by her, but wouldn't go out of my way to. Worth an Audible credit, for which you get >30 hours.
Advert
Old 06-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #3171
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Lots of MilSF action, but way too much of the usual Weber detail.[...] Worth an Audible credit, for which you get >30 hours.
How much of that 30 hours is the recitation of statistics tables?

I remember one of the earlier Honorverse audio books I listened to was the only time I've ever wished I'd gotten the abridged version....
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #3172
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
How much of that 30 hours is the recitation of statistics tables?

I remember one of the earlier Honorverse audio books I listened to was the only time I've ever wished I'd gotten the abridged version....
More than I'd like, less than some. Overall, fairly typical. Apparently, Mr. Weber never met an editor he couldn't overpower. If the book had been 20 hours instead of 30? I'd have given it 4 stars. If it hadn't had his typical overpowering and always succeeding (at great personal cost, of course) female protagonist, but rather a more balanced set of characters, it would have probably gotten 5 stars. But then, that would have meant someone else wrote it.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #3173
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
More than I'd like, less than some. Overall, fairly typical. Apparently, Mr. Weber never met an editor he couldn't overpower. If the book had been 20 hours instead of 30? I'd have given it 4 stars. If it hadn't had his typical overpowering and always succeeding (at great personal cost, of course) female protagonist, but rather a more balanced set of characters, it would have probably gotten 5 stars. But then, that would have meant someone else wrote it.
There are two versions of that particular book - Path of the Fury and In Fury Born. Path of the Fury was the original and about half the length. In Fury Born included a prequel and added stuff. I suspect that you would have enjoyed Path of the Fury a lot more. It was written fairly early in Weber's career (1992) and perhaps the third of Weber's books to be published. You might say that it was the version before he could overpower the editor.

I liked the additional material, but I can see where it might get a bit tedious in an audiobook.

Hum. I got the book via baen's websubscription. I can buy the audiobook for $29.39 or I can re-buy the kindle version for $6.99 and add the audiobook for another $7.49. So $29.39 or $14.48. Gosh, which to do which to do...

Last edited by pwalker8; 06-16-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #3174
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Hum. I got the book via baen's websubscription. I can buy the audiobook for $29.39 or I can re-buy the kindle version for $6.99 and add the audiobook for another $7.49. So $29.39 or $14.48. Gosh, which to do which to do...
Yup, so did I. But I bought it again for the cheaper price AND to get WhisperSync.

FWIW, I quite enjoy Weber when his co-author is Eric Flint. Eric can hold his own with even Weber, and he's a hard-core editor (plus I knew him when he was based in Detroit.) And even while I kvetch about Weber, I do read him.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #3175
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yup, so did I. But I bought it again for the cheaper price AND to get WhisperSync.

FWIW, I quite enjoy Weber when his co-author is Eric Flint. Eric can hold his own with even Weber, and he's a hard-core editor (plus I knew him when he was based in Detroit.) And even while I kvetch about Weber, I do read him.
Interesting. I'm not nearly as fond of the Weber/Flint books (that's the Crown of Slaves sub-series), but I suspect those books are mostly written by Flint with Weber providing an outline. There are certain aspects of Flint's writing style which I find annoying. On the other hand, I liked the ring of fire books written by Weber, of course, there isn't exactly a whole lot of room for a techie info dump in those books.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #3176
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The ring of Fire Series is Eric Flint's Creation. Davis Weber only coauthored 3 of them. I also like the collaboration of Eric Flint and David Drake on the Belisarius Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #3177
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The ring of Fire Series is Eric Flint's Creation. Davis Weber only coauthored 3 of them. I also like the collaboration of Eric Flint and David Drake on the Belisarius Series.
Apache
Yes, I am aware of that. I was saying that I liked the books in the series that Weber wrote. It's a flip of the usual Weber co-author job where Weber seems to provide the frame work rather than doing most of the writing, the Manticore Ascendant series for example he did with Timothy Zahn. Those books seem to me to have a lot more of Zahn's writing style than Weber's.

The Ring of Fire universe has a lot of authors, most co authored by Flint, writing in the universe. I'm not sure if Flint actually co-author's the books or if he simply edits them and makes sure they follow canon.

While I liked the Belisarius Series (just finished listening to the audio book of the first one last month, to tie it back to the thread), that series has the aspect of Flint that I find annoying, i.e. the bombastic character who steamrolls everyone, mocking and insulting them, never questioning that he alone is absolutely right in all things. Naturally, everyone in the book totally approves of him.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #3178
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Finished up Murder on the Orient Express. It really is a pity that Kenneth Branagh didn't do more of her books. He's excellent. He did do a number of Chekhov short stories and a few other odds and ends such as The Magician's Nephew and The Man with the Golden Gun.

Of course listening to any Agatha Christie book, one does have to make allowances for the prejudices of the times.

Now to consider what to listen to next.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #3179
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished another Of The Great Courses while cutting my lawn: Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills by Steven Novella (read by the author). Dr. Novella is a clinical neurologist and assistant professor Yale University's School of Medicine. Many of you may know him from the excellent Skeptic's Guide to the Galaxy podcast. Highly recommended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #3180
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished another Of The Great Courses while cutting my lawn: Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills by Steven Novella (read by the author). Dr. Novella is a clinical neurologist and assistant professor Yale University's School of Medicine. Many of you may know him from the excellent Skeptic's Guide to the Galaxy podcast. Highly recommended.
I tried to watch some of the video presentation of that course by Novella.

Early on, he presented Bev Doolittle's painting "Pintos" as an example of an "ambiguous stimuli" optical illusion, like the "young/old woman" illusion.

The Pinto paining is NOT an optical illusion, and there is nothing in it that is designed to be ambiguous. It is a straight-up painting of five pintos on a similar looking background. There is nothing that can be interpreted two ways, there is simply some natural camouflage that blends in well, meaning you may have to count horse heads or legs to be sure you didn't miss one.

I could not watch the rest of the material because I decided I could not trust him.

Was I too hasty?

Last edited by ApK; 06-25-2021 at 09:52 AM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations