Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #31
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I will probably detect CSS by counting the number of braces and semicolons, then if the length is too short, then warn the user (I won't do more than that, as I don't want to stop the user if the user knows what they are doing, and I don't want to fix the issue automatically as I don't want people relying on the behavior).

jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #32
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Sorry @jcn363 , I forgot to say I read epub books, not kepubs.
The changes didn't work on my reader.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #33
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, that's for kepub.
Let's go again.
Good luck.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I’ve found disabling the footer with patches but enabling it in the reading preferences allowed me to get the bottom margin quite slim.

And the footer is not displayed despite being ‘on’ in the settings. Don’t ask me why this behaves this way.

Though I’ll try out the header modification because that’s still my largest margin
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #35
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’ve found disabling the footer with patches but enabling it in the reading preferences allowed me to get the bottom margin quite slim.

And the footer is not displayed despite being ‘on’ in the settings. Don’t ask me why this behaves this way.

Though I’ll try out the header modification because that’s still my largest margin
Yes, that's right.
The screenshots are from A1.
In the first one you can see the "header effect".
In the second one an epub with the same options.
I don't change anything. Therefore, the footer part works for both kepub and epub.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	133
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	167264   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	143
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	167265  
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #36
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is what my screenshots look like with your changes on my H2O 2nd Edition:
1. epub
2. kepub

Perhaps the larger margins above and below are also due to the font size I use.

Supplement:
I just tested it. With a smaller font size the distances are smaller.
Thank you very much, @jcn363 .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	epub.png
Views:	127
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	167267   Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub.png
Views:	130
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	167268  

Last edited by Martina Schein; 10-28-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #37
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
This is what my screenshots look like with your changes on my H2O 2nd Edition:
1. epub
2. kepub

Perhaps the larger margins above and below are also due to the font size I use.

Supplement:
I just tested it. With a smaller font size the distances are smaller.
Thank you, @jcn363 .
Do you check Show footer on?
Good luck.

EDIT:
if you want I can make the test with your settings, fonts, book...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	115
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	167269  

Last edited by jcn363; 10-28-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add edit
Old 10-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #38
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Do you check Show footer on?
Good luck.
Yes, I have done it.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
This is the cleanest I can figure it right now.

FOOTER
Select show footer into settings.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING.
You can increase red color text.
Spoiler:
Code:
  - FindReplaceString:
      Find:    "ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n\
                ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\n\
                ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 221;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}\n\
                #caption[qApp_localeName=\"ja_JP\"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}"
      Replace: "ReadingFooter{ qproperty-footerMargin: 00; min-height: 40px; max-height: 40px; }\n\
                ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] { min-height: 00px; max-height: 00px; }\n\
                ReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] { min-height: 60px; max-height: 60px; }\n\
                #caption{ font-size: 16px; margin-top: -08px; }\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] { font-size: 20px; }\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] { font-size: 26px; }\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true], #caption[qApp_deviceIsNova=true] { font-size: 30px; }\n\
                #caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] { font-size: 32px; }\n\
                #caption[qApp_localeName=\"ja_JP\"] { font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif; font-style: normal; }   "

HEADER
If you have activated
Code:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Custom kepub default margins: yes
you can reduce
Spoiler:
Code:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 71px;\n  min-height: 71px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 91px;\n  min-height: 91px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 121px;\n  min-height: 121px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 157px;\n  min-height: 157px;\n}"
      Replace: "#StatusBarView{max-height:60px;min-height:60px;}"

perhaps to

- ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  max-height: 71px;\n  min-height: 71px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  max-height: 91px;\n  min-height: 91px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  max-height: 121px;\n  min-height: 121px;\n}\n\
                #StatusBarView[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  max-height: 157px;\n  min-height: 157px;\n}"
      Replace: "#StatusBarView{max-height:35px;min-height:35px;}"

Beware because it's the menu bar size too.
Good luck.
Am I the only one who is confused?

Are these suggestions aimed only at those who are using your "Progressive 4.11.11911" patch set (aka tshering's BAD EYES revisited)? Because, if so, you should make that clear.

If you are offering general advice to to all kobopatch users then why not make it clear that all this can be achieved by custom-tweaking the values in existing patches in the standard patch pack for 4.11.11911?

Your suggestions for reducing Footer look like a re-hash of GeoffR's standard patches for nickel.yaml
- 'Custom reading footer style' or
- 'Disable reading footer'

Your suggestions for reducing Header look like a re-hash of my standard patches for nickel.yaml
- 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%' or
- 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 50%'

Since the introduction of geek1011's new kobopatch yaml system, all users have been free to custom-tweak the values in all standard patches.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #40
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Yes, I have done it.
Do you read the EDIT?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #41
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan

Quote:
Do you read the EDIT?
Yes. Thank's a lot.
I have now found the optimal setting by reducing the font size slightly. There is little margin at the top and almost no margin at all at the bottom. That's how I wanted it.

I am happy.

Now I go into the kitchen and cook so that my husband gets something to eat today.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
jcn363
absolute beginner

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the new patch PROGRESSIVE-H, @jcn363 . It works great on my H2O 2nd Edition.
With this new firmware, however, the upper and lower distances between text and margin increase (I permanently fade out the title and footer). Do you know how I can reduce this space?
Quote:
This is the cleanest I can figure it right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Am I the only one who is confused?

Are these suggestions aimed only at those who are using your "Progressive 4.11.11911" patch set (aka tshering's BAD EYES revisited)? Because, if so, you should make that clear.

If you are offering general advice to to all kobopatch users then why not make it clear that all this can be achieved by custom-tweaking the values in existing patches in the standard patch pack for 4.11.11911?

Your suggestions for reducing Footer look like a re-hash of GeoffR's standard patches for nickel.yaml
- 'Custom reading footer style' or
- 'Disable reading footer'

Your suggestions for reducing Header look like a re-hash of my standard patches for nickel.yaml
- 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%' or
- 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 50%'

Since the introduction of geek1011's new kobopatch yaml system, all users have been free to custom-tweak the values in all standard patches.
It's an answer to a question about a specific patch (PROGRESSIVE-H).
Re-hash? yes, as annotated into patch.
I totally agree, all users are free to custom-tweak the values in all patches, in this too.
The main difference between standard patches and this one is increase font-size all over the system.
There are two approaches: a lot of patches (sometimes in conflict with other patches) or only one (in conflict with almost every patch).
Good luck
Old 10-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #43
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
nevermind, jackie_w caught this, was wondering where these patch changes were being made. They're not in the ones from geek101 / geoff.

Should be noted, shrinking the menu bar has no affect on the header taken up. Though I was able to reduce the menu in jackie_w's patch from 80 to 65 for 'Daylight' devices, this slims down the menubar and at least on my Forma does not appear to interfere with any of the information there.

I don't know how much the others can be reduced, it took a bit of playing with the numbers for the Forma, and of course all thanks goes to jackie_w for 99.9999999% of the work on this patch, literally all i did was copy/paste (to preserve the 50% one) and then play with the number for Daylight devices. I'm reasonable sure I recall jackie pointing out that users could tweak these numbers back when the patch was first introduced, and providing 30 and 50 as common requests.

I'm not sure if the same holds true of jcn363's progressive H, it conflicts with too many patches I want. But I suspect that the same is true there, the header itself would remain unchanged.

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-28-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: question already answered, adding additional info
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Adjustments to `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patch

If you were using the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patch in earlier firmware versions, it should be possible to compensate for the increased ePub header size in this version by changing the replacement value on the last line of the patch:
Code:
    # Replacement value: Set this to the size of the device's built-in top margin,
    # in pixels. This value is subtracted from the adjustable top/bottom margin
    # (if any) to compensate for any unremovable built-in top margin.
    # Suggested values are:
    #   0 For full-screen reading mode (fullScreenReading=true, all devices)
    #  15 for normal reading mode (with custom or disabled footer, all devices)
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x48BED6, Find: 1, Replace: 0}
In earlier firmware versions the header size was zero in full-screen mode and 15 in normal mode, same for all devices. For this firmware version, try changing the value in red from zero to the numer of pixels occupied by the new header.

I don't know the exact size of the new header/footer though, as I haven't installed this firmware version, and it might now be different for different devices.

This change won't reduce the size of the header, but it reduces the size of the top/bottom margins added by the patch by the size of the header, so that the total space at the top of the page should end up about the same size as the left/right margins except when the left/right margins are set smaller than the header. (But as always, this depends on there being no extra margins set in the book's stylesheets.)

Edit: Going by others' screenshots, a replacement value of 50 might be about right for the Forma.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-04-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: 50 for Forma
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches