Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2023, 11:52 AM   #841
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yes, this. Which is why i phrased it as is.
Agreed. I was just commenting on why Patitapetit's suggested edit was incorrect.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:27 PM   #842
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Well. You are eventually supposed to return KU books but there’s no deadline for returning them. I still have some checked out from 2019. So theoretically I could keep them indefinitely.
As long as you don't go above the current limit of 20 books, you could keep a KU loan indefinitely.

However, the issue was returning the KU loan and keeping a copy.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #843
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Since they've upped the borrow limit to 20 titles, I have some books that aren't even in KU anymore! One day I'll get around to reading them.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:22 PM   #844
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As long as you don't go above the current limit of 20 books, you could keep a KU loan indefinitely.
I think the system is pretty liberal about how they implement book returns. Suppose you own two Kindles with wireless capability. You send book 1 to Kindle A, and the other 19 to Kindle B. Then, Kindle A dies or you place it into long term airplane mode. You tell your web browser that you want to return all copies of book 1. They automatically remove it from your loan list, and you are able to borrow book 21. How long will Amazon allow you to keep Kindle A off the grid? A second interesting question involves titles are rolled off their time on KU. I've seen a list of titles leaving or about to leave KU. We need to find one that is soon to leave, and figure out how long Amazon will allow it to stay in your reader. I know that Overdrive ebooks that you return early do not stay on a Kindle Fire for a full week (say, your original borrowing period), as they disappear the moment you re-enable wireless.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:28 PM   #845
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
We need to find one that is soon to leave, and figure out how long Amazon will allow it to stay in your reader. I know that Overdrive ebooks that you return early do not stay on a Kindle Fire for a full week (say, your original borrowing period), as they disappear the moment you re-enable wireless.
Found in a KDP community:

Quote:
How am I getting KU page reads on a book that's not enrolled in KU?

I unenrolled my books from KU in May, but have had isolated (full book) KU reads for both in the last month. Any idea how that's happening?

You'll see page reads for a while still. The borrowed books stay in the KU members' Kindle devices until they get rid of it to make room for more KU books. I opted out of Select over a year ago and I still see KU page reads.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #846
steinarb
Enthusiast
steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS T-1
I have tried to get to the level where I could read books bought on kinxle into calibre on my debian GNU/linux laptop.

So far I have found that
1. kindle 1.24 didn't install under wine
2. kindle 1.39 installed perfectly in wine and I could download and read books, non-DRMed KFX files imports nicely into calibre (I have a Baen book I bought on kindle because I didn't spot it was from Baen), but DRM'd KFX files fails to convert
3. kindle 1.26 also installed fine under wine and I have done the changes to make it not download KFX, but it still downloads KFX files (at least that's the way they lookks to calibre) and DRM'd KFX files have the same behaviour as with the kindle 1.39 files. Anyway... with the january 2023 policy change from amazon this would be useless for new books anyway...

So... I was looking into buying an older eInk kindle to get a download link.

But the oldest I can find is Paperwhite 4 (2018 vintage) and KFX support came with Paperwhite 3, so there is no point in buying that?

So... I either will have to get an alternative purchase route for ebooks... or go back to paper after 10 years on eInk...
steinarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM   #847
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
All KFX files have DRM. Even for books which should be DRM-free. But if downloaded with 1.26, they can be DeDRMed. It can be very tricky to get things working on Linux though.

Even a current Kindle will get you a download link from the website for purchased books (for now).

eta: The download links provide non-kfx, decryptable files except for the few books which aren't available in non-kfx.

Last edited by lkmiller; Yesterday at 06:09 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #848
steinarb
Enthusiast
steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.steinarb is no e-book dilettante.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try that Paperwhite 4 then.

Re tricky getting kindle 1.26 working right on linux. Do you have any tricks or tips?
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #849
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The download links provide non-kfx, decryptable files except for the few books which aren't available in non-kfx.
Which may not work on any eink or conversion anyway because they might be fixed layout.
Some non-KFX are also fixed layout and won't download for eink either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #850
Patitapetit
Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!Patitapetit rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle e Ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinarb View Post
Thanks! Maybe I'll try that Paperwhite 4 then.

Re tricky getting kindle 1.26 working right on linux. Do you have any tricks or tips?
Try 1.17. I have it in Linux Mint and always get a mobi or an azw3 eBook, which in my opinion are easier to dedrm than Kfx
Patitapetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #851
steinarb
Enthusiast

It's still possible to download new books with 1.17, after Amazon's january 2023 policy change?
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #852
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It's still possible to download new books with 1.17, after Amazon's january 2023 policy change?
No, only those published before January 3.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #853
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
To be clear the vast majority of Kindle books can still be downloaded using older versions of Kindle for PC. Only books published this year are blocked. You are only impacted if you need to download a newly published book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #854
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
To be clear: there are two parts:
  1. 1.17 still works and downloads books in mobi or azw, except:
  2. Books PUBLISHED AFTER January 03, 2023. Any book published after that date will require a newer version of Kindle for PC and will only download as a KFX with (currently) unbreakable DRM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication details.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	199310  

Last edited by ZodWallop; Yesterday at 08:34 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote