Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
Phil1789
Phil1789 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
sorting books

Hello everyone,
I am pretty new to the calibre application, and I am trying to find a solution to sort my books by author and in second position by title, is that possible. Until now, I've only been able to sort by one field by author OR by title. Thank you for your help
Phil1789
Phil1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:21 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I think if you first sort by title, then click to sort by author you will find your list is sorted by author/title - is that what you want?

If you always want to have Calibre start in that sort order, you can look at the Tweaks section of Preferences and set how the columns are sorted on start up.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 03:38 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

And the View Manager optional plugin can be used to create different column layouts and sort sequences that can be reused.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I think if you first sort by title, then click to sort by author you will find your list is sorted by author/title - is that what you want?
To generalize this, you should click on the columns in reverse order of how you want them sorted, i.e. from most specific to least specific. It's counterintuitive, but it makes sense, as I'll explain below.

When you sort on a column that's not unique (e.g. author), the books within each category remain in their previous order. So clicking on "title" sorts by title, then clicking on "author" sorts by author, but for each author the titles are already sorted.

By the way, I also recommend the View Manager plugin. Even if you only use one main view, it allows you to quickly return to your preferred sort if you've temporarily sorted by different criteria. (Or accidentally clicked on a column header and ruined your sort) It also allows you to quickly rearrange your columns, which is useful if you're performing certain tasks, such as cleaning up metadata, that would be easier if you have certain columns up front that you normally prefer to be later.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Phil1789
Phil1789 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thank you very much for your answer, it is so simple once explained, and I find "Church mouse" description of what I wanted exactly as I wanted it. Thank you again.
Phil1789
Phil1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
sort order