Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 9 8.82%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 21 20.59%
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 4 3.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 8 7.84%
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 9 8.82%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 16 15.69%
Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane 10 9.80%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 5 4.90%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 12 11.76%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 5 4.90%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #46
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I voted for American Gods. I haven't read anything from Gaiman and I've wanted to since I saw the movie Stardust.
I like Gaiman's work very much but suggest you don't expect American Gods to be anything like Stardust, it is quite different to his other work. Well, to be honest, I'd probably say that about any of this books. Each one has, to me, been a surprise. I loved Stardust, and Neverwhere and adored The Graveyard Book, but American Gods I found ... challenging, but better the second time through.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #47
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like it will be Hitchiker's at this point. Loved that book and have never got around to reading the rest of the series.

Possibly won't read again in Jan so I'll sit this one out. But hope everyone enjoys the book.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Our Winner....

_The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy_

Grab your towel and your guide and hitch a ride!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #49
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Yep, don't forget to bring a towel!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #50
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
I guess I've bought HGTTG in enough formats that one more won't hurt. I guess I don't have the TV show or any of the movies, but I've bought the books in various forms (paperback, hardcover, compilations) over the years and have the radio series, too. Maybe I'll finally get around to making a cover for my Reader. I'm still not sure just how to make the letters "friendly", though.....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Our Winner....

_The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy_

Grab your towel and your guide and hitch a ride!

BOb

Maybe time for a re-read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #52
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
One of the Overdrive libraries I have a card to has it in illustrated form. Maybe I'll read that version this time.

"...still think that digital watches are a cool idea."
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #53
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked my local library and was able to download in Mobi format! Yeah!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #54
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
One of the Overdrive libraries I have a card to has it in illustrated form. Maybe I'll read that version this time.

Sorry, that should read "pretty neat idea," if I recall correctly.

But then, I don't want to be lynched because nobody likes a smart ass.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #55
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Time to grab our trusty towels once again dear friends. Remember: Don't Panic!

mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #56
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post

I don't think I've ever seen an illustrated Hitchiker's Guide--Who's the publisher?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #57
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an illustrated Hitchiker's Guide--Who's the publisher?
My wife and I each have a copy. They're big books with lots of illustrations, very much coffee-table books, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London. ISBN is 0-297-83393-6

The attached zip file has some photos, to give you an idea of what it's like.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Illustrated_HHGG.zip (452.4 KB, 354 views)
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #58
Dawdler
Enthusiast
Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3
I voted for The Eyre Affair but I guess Hitchhiker's is a good book for me to start in with the book club, it going to be fun.
Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #59
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
This is excellent timing. I was gifted a Kindle about a week before Christmas, and when I found out Amazon has the whole 5-book HHGG "trilogy" for $10, I figured I'd buy it and read it again.

Then I found this thread!

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts and seeing everyone else's later this month.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #60
kennyc

Whelp, there you go then. It was Predestined!

Enjoy and welcome to MR!