Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 9 8.82%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 21 20.59%
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 4 3.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 8 7.84%
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 9 8.82%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 16 15.69%
Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane 10 9.80%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 5 4.90%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 12 11.76%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 5 4.90%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #31
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I voted for American Gods, but will be just as happy with Hitchiker. Am I the only humor-loving scifi aficionado out here who has never read it? I saw the movie.
Both are great books. I didn't vote for them because I try not to vote for books that I've already read, but rather for books that I haven't read that I would like to read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, I read "Hitchhiker" so long ago that I am long due for a re-read, so maybe I should have voted for it
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Me too. I don't like to re-read books.

EDIT: This was replying to your first post above.

Last edited by DixieGal; 12-23-2010 at 09:07 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I voted for American Gods. I haven't read anything from Gaiman and I've wanted to since I saw the movie Stardust.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #35
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I voted for American Gods. I haven't read anything from Gaiman and I've wanted to since I saw the movie Stardust.
It's a great book, I hope you enjoy it.
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I voted for American Gods, but will be just as happy with Hitchiker. Am I the only humor-loving scifi aficionado out here who has never read it? I saw the movie.
You may be Or perhaps just the only one with the guts to admit it
HHGTTG was originally a radio show actually - it's propably available somewhere on the Internet
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #37
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
HHGTTG was originally a radio show actually - it's propably available somewhere on the Internet
Amazon UK has the radio series on CD. It's worth noting that every version is significantly different to every other version (more so than the usual changes made to accommodate different media).
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #38
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Deleted.. Need to pay attention where I'm posting.

Last edited by jgaiser; 12-25-2010 at 07:59 PM.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for Sh*t My Dad Says because it is supposed to be rather funny and I do want to read it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What's Jon voting for?
A good book. It does seem that when I vote and the book I vote for doesn't win, we usually end up with a rather poor book. The Woman in White is a winning book I didn't vote for and it's poor.

So go vote for Sh*t My Dad Says.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The movie of HHGTTG was well.. awful. The TV series was not bad. The radio drama is excellent. The books are good too.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I voted for Sh*t My Dad Says because it is supposed to be rather funny and I do want to read it.
Jon, you know about the parable about "The Snowball in Hell" don't you...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Jon, you know about the parable about "The Snowball in Hell" don't you...
This time around, I know if my vote isn't the winning book and HHGTTG wins, it will be a good book.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A good book. It does seem that when I vote and the book I vote for doesn't win, we usually end up with a rather poor book. The Woman in White is a winning book I didn't vote for and it's poor.
Just remember Jon, with ultimate power comes ultimate responsibility.

Oh.. that said, many people have said they really liked The Woman in White. Apparently some people's tastes and opinions vary from yours. Who knew?

BOB
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #45
eroe
eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've actually never read any of the books listed for January so I'm excited to start any one of the choices. I voted for the Hitchhiker's Guide because I want to see what the hype is around this book. I've never watched the movie, and it seems by the posts in this topic that was probably a good decision :P.
eroe is offline   Reply With Quote