Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Great ideas and information from everyone. Thank you!

Chicki
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
Stanford
New e-author
Stanford began at the beginning.

Some worrisome news on the Scribd front....

http://www.evilreads.com/blog/2010/9...dark-side.html
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Some worrisome news on the Scribd front....

http://www.evilreads.com/blog/2010/9...dark-side.html
Hmmm, that is concerning. I will have to look for more information about this. I can certainly understand if they're not making a profit and can't afford to host all these documents, but if that were the case, it seems they should give the individual authors the opportunity to remove their content or pay to have it hosted or whatever, if said content is a problem for them...

Thanks for the share,
Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
That's the second negative article I've read about scribd in the last couple of weeks. I've decided to remove all of my postings and delete my account.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

I've been keeping an eye on the flap going on with Scribd this week:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tammy-..._b_702788.html

Chicki
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #21
Stanford
New e-author
Stanford began at the beginning.

Now Scribd offers a couple workarounds to avoid the archive...

http://support.scribd.com/entries/22...-what-can-i-do
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #22
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Thanks Chicki and Stanford for those links. I followed the directions to keep my sample out of the archives, though I'm still not sure I understand the idea behind the concept. I get that it's mighty expensive to host all this stuff, but I don't think their business model of archiving stuff and charging for access to the archives is going to fly...

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #23
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
I read about the archive feature and thought it certainly could have been handled better. In my case the books and stories are for sale in their store so that's a bit different.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #24
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Scribd have just sent me an e-mail about the archive. Now you can go into your profile and click a box to request them not to archive your stuff. I've gone there and done it!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
chicki
Enthusiast

I did the same yesterday, M.T. Better to be safe than sorry ...

Chicki
Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #26
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Scribd is yet another US-centric outlet, Chick. Publishers (and indie authors) without an 'official' US presence are excluded.
Does this mean I'm excluded from uploading documents that are not for sale, such as samples?
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #27
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
Does this mean I'm excluded from uploading documents that are not for sale, such as samples?
Most likely the other way round. I haven't tried selling anything on there yet, but for example Amazon's digital platform is available in the UK but is completely pointless because they'll only pay you by cheque, in dollars after you've earned $100. I shouldn't speculate but that may be what Mr Marr was talking about because clearly once your bank has taken commission and the IRS have taken their cut there's probably not much left.

Cheers

MTM
(apologies if I turn out to be talking cobblers).
Old 09-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #28
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have answered my own question. I am able to upload documents for free, and it looks as if non-US authors will also have access to the store once they get out of beta.

As far as free downloads go, I think feedbooks is a better option. I've had more than 700 downloads of Lucky to be Alive in less than a month. I'm planning to sell the next one (which will most likely be my last kid's book) so I figure it's good publicity.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 AM   #29
Luke King
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Most likely the other way round. I haven't tried selling anything on there yet, but for example Amazon's digital platform is available in the UK but is completely pointless because they'll only pay you by cheque, in dollars after you've earned $100. I shouldn't speculate but that may be what Mr Marr was talking about because clearly once your bank has taken commission and the IRS have taken their cut there's probably not much left.

Cheers

MTM
(apologies if I turn out to be talking cobblers).
I posted the above while you were posting this. They seem to be set up to deal with non-US authors, but the message says the store is only available to US customers while they are in beta.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
M T McGuire
Addict

@ Luke King.

That's interesting... US customers only isn't a problem, I hear Dr Who is quite popular in the States so I can hope! ;-) I agree with you about Feedbooks, I had a massive response on there to two of my free e-shorts, then the most recent one bombed. It may be because it was rubbish but I suspect it could also be because a) I didn't upload it at Saturday lunch time (this seems to be a good time for me) and b) I uploaded it on 31 July and quite clearly, my usual readers were on holiday... either that or Feedbooks and Smashwords are just so much busier that you don't get the lenghth of "recently published" page exposure you used to.

Cheers

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 09-25-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: clarity