Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
eBook Library Software, not as bad as I expected

Why all the bad press? It is working just fine, and controls the content of my PRS 500 very well... there is SOOO much to download in the SONY format that I'm not overly concerned about its conversion limitations at this time.

Based on what I've read, I was expecting a much worse product. It took me a few minutes to find out how to add titles to new collections function, and was surprised by the lack of a disconnect device button.. but it works ok.

Haven't downloaded from SONY yet, still to busy loading up on what's freely available.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Personally, I don't mind it either. It does what it needs to do. To disconnect the device, you close the library.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Assuming it's the same as what comes with the PRS-505, my biggest complaint about it is that doesn't allow you to edit the metadata tags (author, title).... which frankly makes it useless as a "library manager", even it works fine for a library transfer-er.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
stevejay
Enthusiast

Hmm .txt document tags can be edited, I just did lol. You can create useful collections for fiction, nonfiction, sci-fi, whatever you want.. I have a folder for my son for YA/Children's materials. All good, it does all I need, and hasn't glitched yet..

The problems are inherent in navigating an eBook reader in general, but the ability to create collections ameliorates the problems to some degree.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Personally, I don't mind it either. It does what it needs to do. To disconnect the device, you close the library.
Once you close eBook Library and the red light on your Reader goes out, remove the USB cable. If you leave the USB cable plugging in, you will be draining the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
Hmm .txt document tags can be edited, I just did lol.
Yeah, I didn' t have .txt files in mind.

Quote:
You can create useful collections for fiction, nonfiction, sci-fi, whatever you want.. I have a folder for my son for YA/Children's materials. All good, it does all I need, and hasn't glitched yet..
Calibre does that too.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing eBook Library does that Calibre does not do. eBook Library pre-paginates LRF & LRX so the Reader doesn't have to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
stevejay
Enthusiast

On some documents I've been converting in Calibre, saving to my desktop, then importing into eBook Library. I do this because 2 drivers won't be recognized for import, and I still need eBook Library to use up some credits for new books.

Also- a few books I copied and pasted into Word, formatted, filtered in Calibre to the SONY format, then imported back to the SONY library. Word gave me the spacing and look I wanted. I think..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
PassingStranger
PassingStranger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't despise the Sony software by any stretch, but I've found Calibre is so awesome for what I need it to do. I do have some non-store-bought e-books so they needed a lot of metadata clean up. All I had to do was get the ISBN number and hit Go in the advanced editor and it got everything, including the cover image, for me. That was awesome.
PassingStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I find the Collections feature useless: It doesn't seem to recognise what is on the reader, only what you've added through Elibrary, and then it won't let me edit things in the Reader - but doesn't display them in the Elibrary so that I can move them around there. I'm already hating it.

Why can't I edit metadata, this is so annoying.

It does add the books easily to the Reader - it's only plus point.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
PassingStranger
PassingStranger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
I find the Collections feature useless: It doesn't seem to recognise what is on the reader, only what you've added through Elibrary, and then it won't let me edit things in the Reader - but doesn't display them in the Elibrary so that I can move them around there. I'm already hating it.

Why can't I edit metadata, this is so annoying.

It does add the books easily to the Reader - it's only plus point.
Trust me, bro. Calibre.
PassingStranger is offline   Reply With Quote