Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Amazon Books is unusual because it _only_ has 5,000 titles in stock. In the US this is rare to the point of nonexistence.
And because the limited selection is on purpose, intended to highlight the selected products.

Typical american bookstores, big or small operate under a model of "stick it on a shelf and hope they find it". (Unless the publisher pays to highlight the book on a table near the entrance.)

As Daunt sneered above, a typical store of that size will have anywhere from 20-50,000 titles in stock (usually one or two copies unless it is a new release), depending on how much space is devoted to gaming, toys, and non-book merchandise. To those store operators, a store purposefully limiting their stock is a waste of space. Even if the books they stock don't sell enough to justify the space they take up.

The difference between this new store model and a typical bookstore is the difference between an upscale clothing boutique and a generic discount department store. The former presents each design on its own mannequin with appropriate accessories while the latter has most items hidden in racks for the customer to dig through.

This is an entirely new thing under the sun.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #47
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I remember back in the ancient times when I used to buy books from physical bookshops, if it was something that had to order specially it could take weeks, if not months.
In Britain? I would have thought it should have been quicker there.

I so take our German next-day delivery for granted, because it has always been like this since I started buying books. I would even get most English titles the next day; only when I was looking for one that none of the wholesalers the retailer ordered from had in stock it would last two weeks or longer. But that only ever happened with very unpopular books (and never with German ones.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #48
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
This is an entirely new thing under the sun.
But an ugly new thing in my book. As has been said by some others - the charm of a bookshop is finding books you aren't looking for and that haven't been liked by thousands already.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I meant to write "special order" of course, not "delivery."

But your replies sound pretty bleak. Seems a regular German bookshop is a lot better than an American one.
It's not the stores' fault, it is the publishers', as was highlighted during last year's catfight between Hachette and Amazon.

Publishers don't have distribution systems, they have centralized warehouses intended to serve the entire country and they are to cheap to ship UPS or even USPS. So they let orders accumulate and ship by truck. Across a thousand miles or two.

The real book distribution systems are at the retail level for outfits big enough (Amazon, B&N, maybe Books-a-Million and Half-price Books) or the distributors like Ingram and Baker& Taylor.)
The publishers system is geared to ship tens of thousands or millions of books efficiently in time for a book launch, not shipping individual copies of two year old books.

Things were different up to the 1980 when the giant multinationals started to take over. At that time the much smaller publishers sold direct to consumers, mailed newsletters, and cared as Michael about midlist titles as they did the occasional "lottery winner" bestseller. Once the multinationals started buying publishers and "consolidating" them, all that went away. Nowadays the chase is on for bestsellers.

Check out this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGds6GdM7C8

Each of those logos was a distinct long-established publisher until they were taken over by Penguin, Bertlesmann, and the like, all which were then subsumed into Bertelsmann's Penguin Random House or, as it is more commonly known, the randy penguin.

There is a long history of anti-retailer behavior by the publishers that produced the enviroment where Amazon has flourished despite the big publishers' every (mis-aimed) attempt to control them.

This could be a new phase in that progression.
Or just an interesting experiment in customer satisfaction.

There is at least one news source that thinks the store is just a brand building exercise:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...he-amazon-app/
Old 11-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
As has been said by some others - the charm of a bookshop is finding books you aren't looking for and that haven't been liked by thousands already.
I hope you aren't referring to my tongue-in-cheek post.

"Charm" isn't a word I've ever associated with digging/wandering through stacks of books looking for something to read. I don't get wrapped up in the frou-frou surounding the book experience. I'm in it purely for the content; not the book-petting/perusing. The charm--if any exists--is entirely in the words contained therein, not in the process that gets those words in front of my eyes. I don't care if I'm the first to like a book or the millionth.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

"Charm" isn't a word I've ever associated with digging/wandering through stacks of books looking for something to read. I don't get wrapped up in the frou-frou surounding the book experience. I'm in it purely for the content; not the book-petting/perusing. The charm--if any exists--is entirely in the words contained therein, not in the process that gets those words in front of my eyes. i don't care if I'm the first to like a book or the millionth.
...such sacrilege
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But an ugly new thing in my book. As has been said by some others - the charm of a bookshop is finding books you aren't looking for and that haven't been liked by thousands already.
Well, those shoppers can always go to Barnes and Noble and browse the new releases the first day they come out.
Or go online; Amazon lets you sort book listings by average review ratings and it is easy to find a million books that haven't been liked by anybody.

More seriously: if you read the Seattle times report you'll see they point out that Amazon isn't just stocking high selling books. Rather they are showcasing well-reviewed titles regardless of whether they sell by the million or the hundreds. That is the same philosophy behind Amazon's Encore and Amazon Crossing imprints. Finding good books that people would enjoy if only they could find them. Which is a non-trivial endeavor in a market with over four-million actively sold books and an unknown number of out-of-print but still available used titles.

(How many titles do your bookshops carry? 50,000, was it? How many total are in print and available for buying? In the US, 50,000 books is less than 1% of what is available to buy.)

Floorspace in B&M retail is expensive. So expensive it sunk Borders and so expensive B&N is closing stores rather than pay the going rate for rents. Selling books, shotgun style, is really a bad business in an era when stocking those books online is much more effective way of connecting reader to story.

The future of B&M bookselling is small. Lots of readers and even professional pundits have noted it for years. Amazon has simply been the first to act on it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #53
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

"Charm" isn't a word I've ever associated with digging/wandering through stacks of books looking for something to read. I don't get wrapped up in the frou-frou surounding the book experience. I'm in it purely for the content; not the book-petting/perusing. The charm--if any exists--is entirely in the words contained therein, not in the process that gets those words in front of my eyes. i don't care if I'm the first to like a book or the millionth.
You horrible crass consumer.

You should be ashamed of yourself!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #54
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:

Well, I actually missed the tongue-in-cheek there.

I'm a bit of a bookshop romantic, I'm afraid. Probably because as a teenager I fled to bookshops and libraries from a rather dire situation at home. The experience of finding the right book on the right day; the exhilarating feeling that this book (no matter if it was showcased or buried on a remote shelf) is the book I just have to read, not just for entertainment but because it will tell me something about myself, about life: I still believe this is only possible in a well-stocked bookshop. Finding something completely obscure on the Internet Archive sometimes comes close. Never with the same intensity as forty years ago, but I guess that's because I'm not a lost teenager anymore...
Old 11-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
One can sit at home and click through the book-selling web sites looking for something to read and find it - popular or not - well-reviewed or not - trending or not.

Or

One can wandering the bookshelves in a book store (new or used or both), take in the colors of the spines and the covers, and inhale the scents of the surroundings. Get the atmosphere and then find something you were not expecting - because you are on your feet, moving your eyes, and hands, and touching the real thing.

Technology may be a fast way to deliver, but it is not better than the tactile senses.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
...not just for entertainment but because it will tell me something about myself, about life...
Oh, I'm with you there. The only difference is, I find those kinds of books everywhere. Perhaps it's because that even with some umpteen-million+ copy bestseller, I have no trouble convincing myself that the author wrote "that little bit right there," just for me and no one else. How I find a book has no bearing on how much it moves me, or makes me smile, or makes me cry, or makes me snort soda from my nose. I love books. I just have no illusions that that love is based on anything other than what they say to me when I read them.

Even before ebooks and online ordering, I didn't care about cover images, colors, or book smells, or book-store atmosphere. I wanted to find a book, and get out of the store as soon as possible so I could get home to read it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

International Business Times has some pretty pictures:
http://www.ibtimes.com/amazons-first...ellers-2168484

And some choice person-on-the street quotes from patrons of a Seattle indie bookstore.
Seems Amazon is going to lose customers for lack of a wine bar.

Oh, and in case anybody was wondering: pricing is the same as online...at the instant of checkout.
Prices aren't posted anywhere near the book but they do feature a bar code so customers can use their phones to price check at Amazon.com and get to the book's page.

And, of course, no article about Amazonwould be complete without the obligatory "there is no way they can be making a profit" dig.

Quote:

The pricing structure makes it clear that the bookstore’s purpose is not to generate revenue, since Amazon’s online prices don't support the traditional overhead costs of running a brick-and-mortar store.
That may be a reach.
There's no telling what Amazon's costs are because, since they don't do returns, they get much better terms from publishers on pbooks. (Fun, huh? The same publishers whining about Amazon domination give them preferential terms on pbooks.) And since the store is fed from the nearby fullfilment center and doesn't need to rely on distributors or an inhouse book distribution system there just might be enough volume x margin to make money off B&M.

I suspect that is the real purpose of the store: to test the business model for profitability.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #58
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

"Charm" isn't a word I've ever associated with digging/wandering through stacks of books looking for something to read. I don't get wrapped up in the frou-frou surounding the book experience. I'm in it purely for the content; not the book-petting/perusing. The charm--if any exists--is entirely in the words contained therein, not in the process that gets those words in front of my eyes. I don't care if I'm the first to like a book or the millionth.
I remember haunting bookstores looking for something to read. I had been known to drive up to two hours away to be able to go to a decent bookstore. It was not that I ever enjoyed hunting books to read it was the anticipation of being able to feed my habit by buying books to read. I would much rather be reading than looking for something to read. I hate not having something to read at hand and not knowing what I want to read. I love eBooks for making the whole process so much easier and having an entire library of books with me at all times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #59
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Initially, this seems to be a marketing exercise. I wonder if authors or publishers are leasing shelf space like some indie bookstores are doing. It would be a way to cut down on operating expenses which must be quite high in a prime area of Seattle.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Initially, this seems to be a marketing exercise. I wonder if authors or publishers are leasing shelf space like some indie bookstores are doing. It would be a way to cut down on operating expenses which must be quite high in a prime area of Seattle.
The proof will come in the next few months: if this remains alone, then maybe it's just a stunt. If they start opening similar stores in major population centers (NY, Chicago, LA) it might be a brand-building tool.
But if they start popping up in "smaller" metro areas (Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Phoenix...) then it would be hard to argue it's just a stunt.

As with do many recent Amazon moves there might be more going on than is immediate apparent. They do provide lots of discussion fodder...