Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Kobo Vox and Kobo Touch now buddies!

"Merry Christmas to myself, and my wife"...

I just went out today and purchased a Kobo Touch for the both of us.
I am just finishing up the set-up and syncing of this little gem...

Indigo has the Touch on sale now until Dec. 24 at $119.00 and nice soft covers for $20.00~

Wow...very easy on the eyes, and weighs NOTHING!

What a laugh...this TOUCH has 1GB of on-board memory, but the flagship Vox has 512MB? What gives with that!?!?!? No biggie, but I had to chuckle over it.

Having both at home now, I have to say that indeed, there is a place for both right alongside each other. For general reading of 'pulp', the Touch cannot be beat. The e-Ink Pearl display is so incredibly easy on the eyes. I'm lovin' it.

BUT....and a very large; 'BUT'......

You need a colour unit for all the travel, magazines, etc and books that have colour content (maps, pics, illustrations, etc) to fully get your money's worth from whatever publication they are in. The Touch e-Ink just doesn't give you the '100 percent' for that viewing purpose. For general reading, and with a battery life of 2 weeks (or more), or two to three full books....the Touch; ROCKS!

Well..I now have the full arsenal of reading pleasure. I now have two techs that perform excellently for their purpose, and having the two, is certainly not a redundant move on my part. In fact, I will carry the two together as a pair. If I want to read a pulp book....I'll pull out the Touch. If I want to enjoy colour content books, mags, newspapers, or cruise the Net and/or watch video/movies/...OR...merely listen to my music files....out comes the Vox.

I'm having a ball...simply a ball with Kobo!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah to all...and any other holiday observance the reader celebrates. Life is good...LIFE...is..........GOOD!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-15-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Ah, I remember that excitement when I first got my Kobo Touch.

And you're lucky. Getting it now means you have a great set of features because of firmware updates ... the text is fully customizable, you can now add multiple bookmarks, and you can add notes to both Kobo books and sideloaded epubs. Enjoy!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Ah, I remember that excitement when I first got my Kobo Touch.

And you're lucky. Getting it now means you have a great set of features because of firmware updates ... the text is fully customizable, you can now add multiple bookmarks, and you can add notes to both Kobo books and sideloaded epubs. Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you! I'm having a ball, and yes, the set-up gave me the latest-and-the-greatest firmware."

Also, there is a neat offer for any new Touch owners....a free book a month, starting in January/2012

Here's the offer:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Kobo-...s-238375.shtml

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-15-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
What a laugh...this TOUCH has 1GB of on-board memory, but the flagship Vox has 512MB? What gives with that!?!?!? No biggie, but I had to chuckle over it.
I suspect you are confusing storage and memory. The vox has 8GB (total) storage and 512 RAM. The touch has 1GB (available) storage. No idea how much ram.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I suspect you are confusing storage and memory. The vox has 8GB (total) storage and 512 RAM. The touch has 1GB (available) storage. No idea how much ram.
Edit: I have the packaging right here in my hands and on the left narrow side, it clearly states the following:

SPECIFICATIONS:
1 GB memory

It doesn't use the word 'storage' on the outside packaging. Perhaps they have upgraded the Touch's hardware specifications on later and new builds out the door? Other manufactuers are famous for that, lol. Who knows?....

Now back to Vox interests inside these august walls... I'll post anything further regarding the Touch in the proper forum...

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-15-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
now if only Pulse worked on both!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Yeah but because the storage is _flash memory_, I bet that refers to the storage, not the ram. For example, if you go to this page it states:

Storage 2GB*
Memory Expansion Up to 30,000 eBooks with a 32 GB SD Memory Card

and

* 1GB is available to store content (over 1,000 ebooks).

It does not state ram which is almost certainly less than what the vox has.

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Yeah but because the storage is _flash memory_, I bet that refers to the storage, not the ram. For example, if you go to this page it states:

Storage 2GB*
Memory Expansion Up to 30,000 eBooks with a 32 GB SD Memory Card

and

* 1GB is available to store content (over 1,000 ebooks).

It does not state ram which is almost certainly less than what the vox has.

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting to note though, that your reference clearly uses within context, the word storage, but nowhere does that Spec readout address RAM or how much, or use the world 'memory' associated with it. On the actual box I brought home (Dec 15th/2011) my packaging clearly uses the world memory in associating with the 1GB spec. I wonder if they did in fact upgrade to 1GB memory, and the 2 GB's of storage your spec mentions, is just that, a reference to internal storage space, not RAM. This could be so...and if so...for the price over the holidays... is a nice 'gift' to new Touch purchasers!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting to note though, that your reference clearly uses within context, the word storage, but nowhere does that Spec readout address RAM or how much, or use the world 'memory' associated with it. On the actual box I brought home (Dec 15th/2011) my packaging clearly uses the world memory in associating with the 1GB spec. I wonder if they did in fact upgrade to 1GB memory, and the 2 GB's of storage your spec mentions, is just that, a reference to internal storage space, not RAM. This could be so...and if so...for the price over the holidays... is a nice 'gift' to new Touch purchasers!
Both 'storage' and 'RAM' are memory.
With the Vox, and being able to load lots of different apps, the amount of RAM is actually important. With a single-use eReader, they probably don't consider it worth mentioning.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Both 'storage' and 'RAM' are memory.
With the Vox, and being able to load lots of different apps, the amount of RAM is actually important. With a single-use eReader, they probably don't consider it worth mentioning.
----------------------------------------

Good point, and probably the both of you state how it is. They should though, on the packaging, clearly print that memory storage is 'x', and RAM, is also, 'x'. As you said, not that it matters too much for the Touch,...but it can confuse those that are knowledgeable to what both those terms mean, you'd think?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Without actually knowing anything, I would guess the touch has in the region of 128mb ram. It certainly would need less than the vox.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have no idea how much RAM the Touch has, but books sure download onto it faster than they do to the Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup, for sure, there are serious performance differences between the Vox and Touch. It's not a good or bad thing, just different. Downloading happens in the background so if it's 30 seconds or 3 minutes makes no difference (to me, anyway, since I am likely doing something else).

I like the greater text control of the Touch, the great battery life, lightweight, and the way it cradles into one hand.

But I really like the Vox for the ability to do other stuff, as well as access my Kobo books -- like direct over the air access to the public library and the ability to do surfing for news and play a few time wasting games (like Sudoku).

Having both also means my husband and I can be reading the same thing at the same time ... hard to do that with a paperback!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Vox and Touch

[QUOTE=Reader Paradice;1879967]"Merry Christmas to myself, and my wife"...

I just went out today and purchased a Kobo Touch

What a laugh...this TOUCH has 1GB of on-board memory, but the flagship Vox has 512MB? What gives with that!?!?!?

The Touch also has a search function, a built in dictionary, and a simple highlight function....unlike the Vox
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember; the devices have totally different purposes. Also, Kobo have a habit of adding on more features as time goes by.

I think you will find that currently, the pressure is on to solve the various basic issues; once that is done, the app. team will be concentrate on more functionality.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote