Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #91
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
My phone is also a form of edible fruit, a "black berry".

Oddly, people keep on asking me what kind of "data plan" it has.

I know not what that is.

I don't "plan" to use any "data", certainly not with my fruit phone, unless "reading" is "using data" and my "plan" is to do a lot of that, on my Kindle.

Then they give me a look as if that's all so strange.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #92
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I hate talking on the phone. I hate it with a fiery, flaming passion, but I recognize that owning a telephone is a necessary evil, especially since I cannot drive and frequently need to use some kind of communication device to figure out how to get somewhere (bus, taxi, combining errand runs with friends). Most of my phone calls are under 30 seconds, and those that aren't are usually the ones where I'm slogging my way through the Metro Transit Nextrip phone tree trying to figure out the fastest way to get home on the bus from where I am. If I want to chat with someone, I prefer to do it in person. I haven't had a landline since 2006.
I prefer to keep my PDA and mobile phone as separate devices. I love gadgets, just don't want telephone stuff contaminating them
Same here!

I prefer all other forms of communication above the phone. At work, I see people calling somebody who is sitting one floor below them. I prefer to actually take the stairs and walk to that person...

And I don't want a PDA + phone in one either... I prefer my PDA as it is, right now.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #93
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I hate talking on the phone. I hate it with a fiery, flaming passion, but I recognize that owning a telephone is a necessary evil, especially since I cannot drive and frequently need to use some kind of communication device to figure out how to get somewhere (bus, taxi, combining errand runs with friends). Most of my phone calls are under 30 seconds, and those that aren't are usually the ones where I'm slogging my way through the Metro Transit Nextrip phone tree trying to figure out the fastest way to get home on the bus from where I am. If I want to chat with someone, I prefer to do it in person. I haven't had a landline since 2006.
I prefer to keep my PDA and mobile phone as separate devices. I love gadgets, just don't want telephone stuff contaminating them

Now that email is "standard" I completely avoid "voice mail" hell. I use email 90+% of the time to communicate (on my PC) - I too hate to talk on the phone. Plus I have a written record of the conversation if needed.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #94
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
BTW In addition to my Droid X ("Droid Does!") I have an iPhone provided by work.

Intruder alert! Intruder alert!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #95
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I still use my 6210 when I need it... I still love it, but the battery was getting old, it could only hold a charge for less than a week...

Not once, not twice, but three times... And all three times it wouldn't come back on again. That's when I decided I needed a new one, that could withstand the water.

That's when I got this one:

THAT is the phone I need. I am notoriously klutzy. I need a phone that can make calls and survive a 1-meter drop. And that's all. My company got me a BlackBerry, and every time it falls from my hand (which is weekly), it pops open, sending phone, battery and battery cover in three different directions.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #96
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
DH and I are also of the "drive it until it dies" school of car ownership.
We are driving a 16 year old Corolla. Does that qualify me for a discount on membership fees?
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #97
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Do I qualify for not having a car
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #98
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Do I qualify for not having a car
No!

But you can rally round with us rebels!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #99
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I still remember the last time I had to buy a cell phone. I just wanted a bare-bones sturdy phone. The salesperson kept waving the latest technology in my face --"this one makes your morning coffee!", "how about this one --it does laundry!", "maybe you'd like this state of the art doctorphone --it can diagnose medical issues!". I finally just grabbed the cheapest one I could see and asked her if it made phone calls. She practically rolled her eyes at me and said it did. I bought it.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #100
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I not a big phone user, but i still have a phone with 3g, internet, gps. A low-end for a smartphone.
Got tierd of getting lost, google map power
And with the ratp, internet is the only way to know why there is no train.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #101
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thumbs down

I have mobile. It makes and receives calls and can send text messages. They claim that it can also take photos and read emails. One day I may bother to find out how. Maybe when its battery can hold charge for less than a week I may decide to figure out the camera stuff etc. because I know I won't have chance to use the phone for long anymore.

I almost bought a new handset last spring, went to the shop looking for a phone, the young shop assistant tried to sell me a gadget. She enthusiastically explained how she uses her phone as a camera, MP3 player, calendar and address book and what not. I patiently listened her and when she finished, I asked her what would be the consequences if she lost the gadget. She didn't have an answer.

I have house full of technology but there are some things I have never found a need for, some of them are: TV, video/ DVD player, microwave oven, MP3 player or a car. Then again, my radio is high-tech Evoke-3, I got Sony PRS-650, my trusty Palm Tungsten E2 sadly died, my personal music player is PocketDAB 1500 and recently bought Kenwood BM350 to save time making bread (I have baked my own bread since I was 18) and lets not start talking about computers and servers...

Still, phone to me is for making and receiving calls, nothing more nothing less.
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #102
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
My 22 yr old granddaughter, on the other hand, pays over $100 month to get all the bells and whistles, because she "really needs it".

I don't get it. but thats just me.
Hell, I'm 23 and my phone does only talk and text. Yep you heard that right. No newfangled smartphone or stuff. But my phone has NEVER crashed (it practically can't). And I'm a pretty tech-person too. I use my Kindle for internets if/when I need which is rare.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #103
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My phone (a sturdy Nokia) only gets used for text and talk. I do use the "calender" function. I really couldn't tell you what else it does, it might have some other functions but I do not use them.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #104
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
My phone (a sturdy Nokia) only gets used for text and talk. I do use the "calender" function. I really couldn't tell you what else it does, it might have some other functions but I do not use them.
Ummm hmmmmm.......riiiiiiight.....we all believe you...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #105
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I like/use/love my cheapy Motorola F3. It even uses e-ink!

Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote