Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Connecting Calibre to Windows tablet

What is the best way to transfer books between Calibre and a Windows tablet (with an x86 processor)?

If I install Calibre on that device, then can I connect it as a device to my second calibre instance on my desktop PC?
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've used a variety of arrangements over the last two and a half years, or so, that I've been using a Windows tablet as my ereader. My current method is to install calibre and my main "master" library on my tablet. I like having all of my books on my tablet.

Monthly, I backup my library to my desktop computer where I also have calibre installed. New books are added to the tablet's library and basic metadata massaging is done there. I have a BT mouse and keyboard on my desk to aid in these tasks.

Occasionally, I will add a new book to the desktop library first, in order to perform a format conversion (I read ePubs, so AZW3/MOBI need conversion). I also do any editing of ePubs and AZW3 books on my desktop using calibre's Editor, though usually without adding to the library. New books are copies across the network and placed in a shared "Calibre new additions" folder on the tablet.

When running calibre on my tablet, I usually use the BT mouse and keyboard. I have the TouchMousePointer utility installed for times when I'm out and about and don't have the mouse and keyboard. Before getting the mouse and keyboard, I used TeamViewer to remote control my tablet from my desktop machine so that I had mouse and keyboard, plus a larger display.

I don't use calibre's ebook-viewer for reading these days, though I did for a while. I've bounced back and forth between Freda and Book Baazar Reader with Freda being my current favorite. I "Save to disk" from calibre and then load into Freda. I only keep 2-3 books in Freda, only those currently being read, and delete Freda's copy as soon as they are finished. Apps like Freda and Book Baazar Reader have to keep their copy of the books in the primary storage drive (C, which is always a limited resource on small Win tablets (mine's 32gb). I keep my cablire library on a 64gb microSD card that is drive D:.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Apps like Freda and Book Baazar Reader have to keep their copy of the books in the primary storage drive (C, which is always a limited resource on small Win tablets (mine's 32gb). I keep my cablire library on a 64gb microSD card that is drive D:.
Have you tried installing Freda on your D: drive? In theory it should work; instructions are here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/i...d-card-windows

Do let me know how you get on with it - and contact me on jim@turnipsoft.co.uk if there is any problem.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
I don't use calibre's ebook-viewer for reading these days, though I did for a while. I've bounced back and forth between Freda and Book Baazar Reader with Freda being my current favorite.
Yes, I think the e-book viewer in Calibre looks nice, but I find it a pain to use with a touchscreen, especially since there's no customization of where you tap to turn pages, bring up the menu, etc.

The main problem I have is I really prefer not to get apps from the Store, and I can't find an APPX file for Freda anywhere that will work on x86. So I'm stuck, for now, with doing actual book reading using CC on my old Android tablet.

Quote:
I "Save to disk" from calibre and then load into Freda.
How come you don't just load all the books into Freda to begin with? I haven't used Freda in years so I'm not sure how much development has happened.

Quote:
I have the TouchMousePointer utility installed for times when I'm out and about and don't have the mouse and keyboard.
Not exactly related, but the Windows 10 Creators Update now has a virtual touchpad built in.
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Have you tried installing Freda on your D: drive? In theory it should work; instructions are here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/i...d-card-windows

Do let me know how you get on with it - and contact me on jim@turnipsoft.co.uk if there is any problem.
Thanks for the pointer.

I've adapted to keeping only a few books in my reader (still currently Freda) and won't likely move it to D:/ as I generally only have 4-6 books in Freda. I generally prefer short stories and many that I have are in collections and omnibi (or whatever plural you prefer). I rarely read a whole collection cover to cover. Instead, I'll read one story from one collection and then another from another collection from a different genre. I'll intersperse the occasional longer novella or novel.

Keeping only the currently active books in Freda has worked out as a very good way for me to keep up with what I'm reading. Trying to manage a custom column and virtual library in calibre to do the same is excessively tedious in a touch-only environment. Even a virtual trackpad only helps so much as desktop apps like calibre display with very small UI on small tablets.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
meg7909
meg7909 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Patience Please...

Quick background...
Age 40, as computer dumb as possible. I take no offense at being spoken to at about age level 3 regarding computers. Autistic and OCD regarding my books. 3rd hand computer about to croak. Panicking over my Calibre Library of 4,000 some all-read books going *poof* when ol' faithful gives up the ghost.
So I am reading...I can keep my calibre main library on a Windows Tablet and I don't need a regular desktop or laptop except for backups, correct? If so, I can convert book format, read books, and mess with metadata on said tablet? Not like android devices where there's only calibre companion?
Please help me get this figured out before this old beast dies!
meg7909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg7909 View Post
Quick background...
Age 40, as computer dumb as possible. I take no offense at being spoken to at about age level 3 regarding computers. Autistic and OCD regarding my books. 3rd hand computer about to croak. Panicking over my Calibre Library of 4,000 some all-read books going *poof* when ol' faithful gives up the ghost.
So I am reading...I can keep my calibre main library on a Windows Tablet and I don't need a regular desktop or laptop except for backups, correct? If so, I can convert book format, read books, and mess with metadata on said tablet? Not like android devices where there's only calibre companion?
Please help me get this figured out before this old beast dies!
Yes, you can do all the things you can on a regular computer, if it's a full Windows (supports desktop programs). As for backup, you don't need a desktop or a laptop for that. You can use an external hard drive, or even better, more than one. They work very well with a Windows tablet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, you can do all the things you can on a regular computer, if it's a full Windows (supports desktop programs). As for backup, you don't need a desktop or a laptop for that. You can use an external hard drive, or even better, more than one. They work very well with a Windows tablet.
Yup, this.

Beware though, I remember reading an article on a tech site where an industry insider admitted to a tech journalist that the eMMC storage (usually 32-64GB) used by some manufacturers on cheap tablets, netbooks and laptops aren't particularly long-lived (write endurance). They'll last for the duration of the 1-year warranty. After the warranty period, they're not the manufacturers' problem anymore.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yup, this.

Beware though, I remember reading an article on a tech site where an industry insider admitted to a tech journalist that the eMMC storage (usually 32-64GB) used by some manufacturers on cheap tablets, netbooks and laptops aren't particularly long-lived (write endurance). They'll last for the duration of the 1-year warranty. After the warranty period, they're not the manufacturers' problem anymore.
That may be the case with some eMMC components, but not all. My Dell Venue 8 Pro is some 5 years old now and is still working well.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Panicking over my Calibre Library of 4,000 some all-read books going *poof* when ol' faithful gives up the ghost.
Rather than panicking, simply back up your Calibre library to an external disk. Hopefully you're doing this already?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
meg7909
meg7909 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Patience Please...

You can back up files til you turn blue, but if you don't have the extra cash to buy a new computer they're as good as *poof*ed if you can't access them. Ergo the questions regarding tablets. The only thing I use my computer for are Calibre and email, and now this forum to figure out what to do next. It makes no sense to spend money on a computer only to do those few things, so I'm looking into the much cheaper tablets. If I can do all I need to with that why waste a ton of money? I'm asking questions so as to not waste money on a tablet that won't run the main Calibre program.
meg7909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you have a backup, at least your library is safe. You can always buy a tablet or PC later. You can't always replace lost data.

That said, assuming the tablet must be able to and will be used as main Calibre instance when your desktop croaks, it's probably not a good idea to go for the cheapest Windows 10 tablet available (often with very limited storage that's pretty much already used up by the OS). SD cards might be good for backups but they might be too slow for the Calibre library (like network drive level slow).

Alas, good tablets costs around the same or more as decent laptops and desktops.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
You can back up files til you turn blue, but if you don't have the extra cash to buy a new computer they're as good as *poof*ed if you can't access them. Ergo the questions regarding tablets. ....
False premise. "Tablets" are not that much cheaper than "computers". Serviceable (able to run browsers, calibre, and ereader apps) "computers" are readily available in the US for less that $200. Many of the better "tablets" (all iPad, all Surface, and many other desirable models) see for higher prices. It's true that some decent tablets, particularly the subsidized Amazon Fire models, sell for a bit less.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
People forget, they don't always need to buy a Bundled (Monitor, keyboard, PRINTER) Desktop computer. If the peripherals work...run'em till the drop and save the e-waste disposal. (note: May not be possible if switching to/from a MAC)

OTOH, A Tablet and laptop, come with all the pieces in one package (sans Printer)

All in one displays are somewhere in between.

And I agree, New can be had for $300, and you can get more powerful 'Off Lease', refurbished (new disk, more RAM) ,Business class for the same.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
...SD cards might be good for backups but they might be too slow for the Calibre library (like network drive level slow).
"Too slow" is a very personal judgement and calibre is not overly impacted by the speed of the storage device. Most of calibre's work is managing a library is done in RAM.

I currently use calibre on a Windows tablet. My former device was a Dell Venue 8 Pro (32gb eMMC primmary storage & 64gb mSD card additional) and is now a MS Surface Go (128gb NVME SSD + 128gb mSD). On the old Dell, calibre was installed on the mSD card and the library was on the mSD card as well. With the Go, calibre installed on the main SSD, but the library is still on the mSD.

I have no issues with using calibre on the Go for library management, format conversion, and editing. File saves when using the editor are only slightly slower than on my "big desktop" (Win10, 8gb RAM, i7, 1Tb fast HDD). After all, ebooks are rather small files. Performance on the old Dell was decent, though application launch time was a bit slow. Once running, it performed well with the only noticeable slowness occuring when saving metadata into a file or doing format conversions.