Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
need advice on cross-device sync (moon+, calibre)

i've been using moon+ for a long time, most of the time it syncs my reading well across of the devices but not all the time
right now i'm running it on my: note5 and T61B

the way i work is this
1) update epub in calibre
2) sync to my dropbox
3) sync my devices to dropbox to get new epub

after an reinstall of my note5 lost a lot of my reading progress (hell to remember where i stopped in what story)

so i ask how should i best sync all my devices and progress ?
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read a lot on my phone with Moon+ and I sometimes read with a tablet, also using Moon+. I always sync my reading position via Dropbox. I also store books on Dropbox and access them with Moon+. All in all I find it very reliable.

There is one big gotcha with syncing reading positions and this isn't a Moon+ problem but a problem with the whole nature of syncing. If you re-install Moon+ and put the book on board before you've set up syncing via dropbox it starts you at the beginning. Then when you do sync it wants to put your other devices back to the beginning as well.

The solution to this is to set up syncing before you put that book on board. Test it with some other book and when it's working okay put the book you're reading on board and let it sync. When I have to do this I always try to keep another device handy with the book in proper position on it in case something goes wrong. If I mess up I still have my reading position backed up and I can start that device, refuse to sync, close Moon+ and then open it on the newly installed device.

I have the same problem when I reset one of my Kindles with a book I'm reading on them. It's pretty easy to lose my place if I'm not careful. All in all, I find Moon+ to sync much more reliably than the Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
the best thing could have been auto backup to dropbox and when i switch just restore latest back up (might as well do it) but moon+ doesn't have auto backup (they should)
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote