Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
should i upgrade from prs-t1?

Hi everyone,
I'm undecided after reading so many reviews, watching so many comparison videos for the prs-t2 & t3. Is it worth the update. I don't listen to audio books on my t1 just read books and occasionally read manga. Yep it's rooted. I was hoping to get people's views here about the upgrade. The cost isn't the problem, it's just I don't know if it's worth the upgrade especially prs-t1 to prs-t2. I don't mind trying kobo and don't care if there is a front lit light or not. Just don't like the spacing issues and been a loyal fan of Sony's ereaders. So in the end want something to read books and read manga. Unless people think I should just keep the prs-t1 and wait

Last edited by Renji; 04-11-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
The cost isn't the problem, it's just I don't know if it's worth the upgrade especially prs-t1 to prs-t2. I don't mind trying kobo and don't care if there is a front lit light or not.
I'm not a Sony expert, but I just picked up a refurbished (1 year warranty) T2 for $50 from Tiger Direct -- so, right now, it's not too expensive of an update (if you live in the U.S.). What I've seen of it so far, I like -- though, after the firmware update it installed a Kobo Store logo on it (that, so far, doesn't really go anywhere) and it lost the FaceBook application in the update (which is fine with me but probably not for everybody). I can't tell you if it's worth upgrading from T1 to T2 -- from what I've read they're pretty closely related. But for me -- one of the reasons I wanted the T2 -- was the Evernote app built-in. I use Evernote a lot -- and it seems to work well on the T2 (limited testing). Another thing I like about the T2 is that it has an almost usable web browser -- and it scrolls pretty fast. (This is something the Kindles don't have.) I've also tried out the library borrowing (borrowed and returned all on the T2) so I like that too.

According to Good E Reader, the T2 has a 1 Gig (Intel?) CPU compared to the T1's 800 Mhz Freescale CPU, so that might make a difference (might be why the scrolling is smooth -- at least for an E-Ink screen, but I don't know how well scrolling works on the T1). Apparently the T2 also has a significantly longer battery life.

The T3, as another choice, is a bit smaller and lighter has the higher resolution screen. Not sure if I like the way cases click on to the back of it in such a way that, if you don't have the case on it, its innards are pretty much exposed. Apparently the hardware is close to the same as the T2, except for the T3's higher resolution.

So, anyhow, the T2 might be worth the $50 update price, especially if you're already pretty much sold on Sony eReaders.

(I'll quit putting my ignorance on display now.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not a Sony expert, but I just picked up a refurbished (1 year warranty) T2 for $50 from Tiger Direct -- so, right now, it's not too expensive of an update (if you live in the U.S.). What I've seen of it so far, I like -- though, after the firmware update it installed a Kobo Store logo on it (that, so far, doesn't really go anywhere) and it lost the FaceBook application in the update (which is fine with me but probably not for everybody). I can't tell you if it's worth upgrading from T1 to T2 -- from what I've read they're pretty closely related. But for me -- one of the reasons I wanted the T2 -- was the Evernote app built-in. I use Evernote a lot -- and it seems to work well on the T2 (limited testing). Another thing I like about the T2 is that it has an almost usable web browser -- and it scrolls pretty fast. (This is something the Kindles don't have.) I've also tried out the library borrowing (borrowed and returned all on the T2) so I like that too.

According to Good E Reader, the T2 has a 1 Gig (Intel?) CPU compared to the T1's 800 Mhz Freescale CPU, so that might make a difference (might be why the scrolling is smooth -- at least for an E-Ink screen, but I don't know how well scrolling works on the T1). Apparently the T2 also has a significantly longer battery life.

The T3, as another choice, is a bit smaller and lighter has the higher resolution screen. Not sure if I like the way cases click on to the back of it in such a way that, if you don't have the case on it, its innards are pretty much exposed. Apparently the hardware is close to the same as the T2, except for the T3's higher resolution.

So, anyhow, the T2 might be worth the $50 update price, especially if you're already pretty much sold on Sony eReaders.

(I'll quit putting my ignorance on display now.)
FYI: the T3 has a caseless version but the back is not exposed. It has a back panel.

Difficult for you to get I know (from other thread), but definitely an upgrade IMO.

Lighter, nicer feel, (screen is not noticeably better for me), more robust firmware. Lighted cover is good too. Practically no extra space/weight for light and the sleep function is nice. Not cumbersome like the T1/T2 lighted cover, no batteries required.

Still the T2 is nice too and I am glad you are happy with it. Can't beat Sony for collection management using calibre either if you ever want to do that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm undecided after reading so many reviews, watching so many comparison videos for the prs-t2 & t3. Is it worth the update. I don't listen to audio books on my t1 just read books and occasionally read manga. Yep it's rooted. I was hoping to get people's views here about the upgrade. The cost isn't the problem, it's just I don't know if it's worth the upgrade especially prs-t1 to prs-t2. I don't mind trying kobo and don't care if there is a front lit light or not. Just don't like the spacing issues and been a loyal fan of Sony's ereaders. So in the end want something to read books and read manga. Unless people think I should just keep the prs-t1 and wait
I find the T3 a significant upgrade to the T1. Definitely the nicest reader I have owned and I have had a few.

Kobo has a couple of nice features that I wish Sony had (exactly 2), but Sony has about 10 I wish Kobo had and the T3 has more robust firmware than the T1. Not as robust as the x00/x50 ones, but pretty darn nice.

Sorry for repeating myself, the T3 is so nice I must.

Helen
Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
FYI: the T3 has a caseless version but the back is not exposed. It has a back panel.

Difficult for you to get I know (from other thread), but definitely an upgrade IMO.

Lighter, nicer feel, (screen is not noticeably better for me), more robust firmware. Lighted cover is good too. Practically no extra space/weight for light and the sleep function is nice. Not cumbersome like the T1/T2 lighted cover, no batteries required.

Still the T2 is nice too and I am glad you are happy with it. Can't beat Sony for collection management using calibre either if you ever want to do that.
This is what I get for jumping into a thread that I had no business jumping into. I was just happy with the new T2 and wanted to let the OP know why. I'm glad to hear there is a non-case back version available for the T3. So the T3 actually powers its case (kind of like a Kindle)? That's good to hear.

As for the T2, it's, at least, a good one for me to use in my trial of Sony eReaders. If I decide Sony is the way to go, there are T3s available on eBay in the U.S. Just not as cheaply available --apparently-- as they are elsewhere.

Thanks for the information.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This is what I get for jumping into a thread that I had no business jumping into. I was just happy with the new T2 and wanted to let the OP know why. I'm glad to hear there is a non-case back version available for the T3. So the T3 actually powers its case (kind of like a Kindle)? That's good to hear.

As for the T2, it's, at least, a good one for me to use in my trial of Sony eReaders. If I decide Sony is the way to go, there are T3s available on eBay in the U.S. Just not as cheaply available --apparently-- as they are elsewhere.

Thanks for the information.
Sorry if I sounded like I was criticizing. Didn't mean to.

You just jump in wherever we want. Your opinion and knowledge is as important as anyone else's.

Helen
Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Sorry if I sounded like I was criticizing. Didn't mean to.
No, that's not the way I took it. It was just the realization that my limited experience with Sony eReaders meant that I probably shouldn't have been advising anyone about them.

Don't worry. I don't have a thin skin. And I really do like to learn, so I appreciated your comments.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Whew! glad I wasn't being rude.

I have been using Sony for years and still learn things from relative beginners. I get set in one way of doing things and don't notice a new, or sometimes even an old way that is better. A fresh viewpoint is a good thing.

Helen
Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Thank you both for your points so far, yea still torn but I was about to grab the t3 yesterday but started reading here that you can't root the device yet :-(
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard

Pretty sure you can't root the T2 either.

Helen