Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
read365
Enthusiast
read365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to behold

Device: pocketbook pro 902, Jetbook Color 1
where is download JBC firmware??

Hi, where can i download JBC firmware??

or i think they sent email. but i can't find it

anyone link to download it... please...
read365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
They will send you an email with the istruction. I think you have to register your JBC on http://www.jetbook.net/registration

For this you need the JBC serial number that can be discoverd going in "Device info" under "Settings" menu

bye

AM
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just received an email from Greg. They will release it in a couple of days,both via e-mail for people who purchased it, and on their webpage.

They've released the student version a couple of days ago, but where concerned not to overload their servers (as they have quite an amount of units being used in schools).

They say it's running way better, and something to look forward to!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Just received an email from Greg. They will release it in a couple of days,both via e-mail for people who purchased it, and on their webpage.

They've released the student version a couple of days ago, but where concerned not to overload their servers (as they have quite an amount of units being used in schools).

They say it's running way better, and something to look forward to!
cough mirror it via some other site.... or use some CDN / amazon cloud if they want to pay for it

I won't mind mirroring it on several different sites... probably going to be around 1GB - 1.6GB (from the looks of the russian firmware)

Last edited by paperwastage; 03-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
read365
Enthusiast
read365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to behold

Device: pocketbook pro 902, Jetbook Color 1
thanks for replying~~
read365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
released/informed via email ..?????
why this secrecy...are they afraid that we, "the others" can install the software on ...something else?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
released/informed via email ..?????
why this secrecy...are they afraid that we, "the others" can install the software on ...something else?
if they post the link publicly, (lets say 1000 users go update)

download 1.6GB * 1000 = 2TB....

you need a dedicated 1gbps server for that .....
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
1.6 GB update?! That's huge for a mobile OS!

Unless they're well equipped, I think it'd be better to make available separate zips to be uncompressed in the same folder, even to reduce risk of incomplete / corrupted downloaded files > bricks or troubles updating

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-04-2012 at 07:01 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
if they post the link publicly, (lets say 1000 users go update)

download 1.6GB * 1000 = 2TB....

you need a dedicated 1gbps server for that .....
Yeah you know there is a technology called torrents...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
paperwastage
Groupie

i know, but they dont want to use it....

I was willing to reupload to other sites if I have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
1.6 GB update?! That's huge for a mobile OS!

Unless they're well equipped, I think it'd be better to make available separate zips to be uncompressed in the same folder, even to reduce risk of incomplete / corrupted downloaded files > bricks or troubles updating

<the russian firmware>
http://www.jetbookcolor.ru/support

click on the arrow-download link,

jbcupdate.bin

its 1.6GB

I blame Windows CE 6.0.... you cant compress any of the binaries when its packaged(i tried)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using torrents you have less control over who gets it and who does not. It seems they need to register their device's serial number on the site to get the update; if so, it's clear they don't want their firmware not to fall into just anyone's hands out there.

I suggested torrents a while ago, but so far nothing yet. There are also registered torrents, but in the end the website would still have plenty of bandwidth usage just keeping track of who got what, that the site would end up seeding about just as much as they would uploading via http (as there are always many more leechers online than seeders).

Torrents would make sense if the schools that registered for the device help seeding those torrents (eg in school off hours).

I think I heard from Greg, the JBC was such a success that they sold out like 6x the amount of what they where expecting for a first batch.. I could be wrong here, but ever since I'm reading up on a lot of electronic devices, and things are getting mixed up after a while.

Anyway, my Jetbook is still on backorder, eventhough I ordered it more than a week ago; kind of verifies what he said.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-04-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Duplicate post (network error).
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
paperwastage
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Using torrents you have less control over who gets it and who does not. It seems they need to register their device's serial number on the site to get the update; if so, it's clear they don't want their firmware not to fall into just anyone's hands out there.

I suggested torrents a while ago, but so far nothing yet. There are also registered torrents, but in the end the website would still have plenty of bandwidth just keeping track of who got what, that the site would end up seeding about just as much as they would uploading via http (as there are always many more leechers online than seeders).

Torrents would make sense if the schools that registered for the device help seeding those torrents (eg in school off hours).
or torrent 1.5gb out of the 1.6gb (split the file into 16 parts), then you have to downlad the last part from them.....

but then sharing a 0.1gb file would be easier too.... so whatever
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
PF4Mobile
Guru

let' assume their holly software gets into the hands of the wrong/evil person
then what?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac

does not matter "then what".
Most companies would want to keep their work to themselves. Giving it away for free, to any competition is just dumb!
The least the competition would need to do is either buy at least one device, or commit fraudulent actions to pry off an unused s/n to get their hands on the FW.

Of course, any person with a brain the IQ of 80 or more would understand that!

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.