Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
jpeter82
jpeter82 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre Server on Ubuntu produces strange web gui

Hi there,

I've just installed Calibre server on Ubuntu 16.04 following this guide:

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-14-04

I grabbed the download link from calibre's documnetation yesterday. I installed calibre in a custom location, not in the home folder, but the linux user has permission to that folder. I'm also behind nginx on a separate vhost, reaching calibre with proxy_pass on a custom port.

I have 2 issues:

ISSUE #1

When I look up calibre in the web browser I get this:
Please see installed.png attachment
[IMG]installed.png[/IMG]

However, I should see something like this:
Please see normal.png attachment
[IMG]normal.png[/IMG]

I can only list the books, and search among them, but can't add categories for example. It's like most of the functionalities are missing.

ISSUE #2

When i click on a book (epub), then read, I get various errors, like:

Cannot read file from book:
Could not open Teach Yourself Data Structures And Algorithms In 24 hours. undefined This usually means the cache is close to full. Clear the browser cache from the browser settings.

I cleared the cache, still having the same problem.

Or I can see the bar downloading the book, but then get a blank white screen.

Please help me with this,
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	installed.png
Views:	216
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	161836   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.png
Views:	259
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	161837  
jpeter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are comapring a screen shot of calibre v2 with v3, they are different. As for you read book issue, try a different browser, see the browser support section in https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
jpeter82

Browser

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm using Chrome browser 64bit version 63.0.3239.132, and the documentation says Chrome is supported and tested.

So am I using the wrong version? I downloaded it like the documentation says:
https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Version 3 has less features than version 2?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm new to calibre.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
The guide you used is out of date. See for the most resent versions of calibre.

Creating a service for the calibre server on a modern Linux system

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter82 View Post
Hi there,

I've just installed Calibre server on Ubuntu 16.04 following this guide:

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-14-04

I grabbed the download link from calibre's documnetation yesterday. I installed calibre in a custom location, not in the home folder, but the linux user has permission to that folder. I'm also behind nginx on a separate vhost, reaching calibre with proxy_pass on a custom port.

I have 2 issues:

ISSUE #1

When I look up calibre in the web browser I get this:
Please see installed.png attachment
[IMG]installed.png[/IMG]

However, I should see something like this:
Please see normal.png attachment
[IMG]normal.png[/IMG]

I can only list the books, and search among them, but can't add categories for example. It's like most of the functionalities are missing.

ISSUE #2

When i click on a book (epub), then read, I get various errors, like:

Cannot read file from book:
Could not open Teach Yourself Data Structures And Algorithms In 24 hours. undefined This usually means the cache is close to full. Clear the browser cache from the browser settings.

I cleared the cache, still having the same problem.

Or I can see the bar downloading the book, but then get a blank white screen.

Please help me with this,
Peter
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
jpeter82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Thanks,
I've seen those guides also, and it contains nothing that would help me solve my problem. I configured it just as the guide says, so it's working as a service, and also the nginx proxy is working. My problem is, that I can't open a book for reading in the browser (epub, pdf), although I'm using chrome. And I don't undestand the difference between version 2 and 3.
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading books works fine in chrome. The error you get indicates that there is some issue with your particular chrome installation, which is why I suggested trying a different browser. Or try a clean profile, with no extensions in chrome.

And 3 has far more features than 2, they are just organized differently.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
jpeter82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Reading books works fine in chrome. The error you get indicates that there is some issue with your particular chrome installation, which is why I suggested trying a different browser. Or try a clean profile, with no extensions in chrome.

And 3 has far more features than 2, they are just organized differently.
I also tried it in Firefox, same result. I figured out Kaspersky is interfering, when I turned it off epub books opened correctly.

Could you please tell me, the attached image is which version of calibre? 2 or 3? (I hope it's 3 )

Thanks for your help!
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	installed.png
Views:	175
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	161852  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's 3 (the server in 2 has no ability to read books at all, only download them).
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
jpeter82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's 3 (the server in 2 has no ability to read books at all, only download them).
Thanks for your help!