Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #61
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedva View Post
Well, if you want a detective in the locked room, there's always Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. And for an author who always plays fair, you can't beat Ellery Queen (limiting this to the books in which Ellery is the sleuth; I'm not crazy about Queen's stories with others doing the detecting).
Finally! I was reading this thread and wondering why there was no Ellery-love.

I tend to take a run through the series about every ten years, once I've forgotten all the solutions. As a study of character evolution, I don't think it can be beaten. Good play-fair mysteries, too.

Another love of mine, although little known, is Sara Woods's Antony Maitland books. Maitland is a British barrister who takes on 'hopeless' cases, and does the investigating himself. Very likeable, colorful characters and good mysteries.

I have an autographed EQ book - it's the prize of my library.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #62
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Might I suggest Lord Darcy by Randall Garrett? A blend of fantasy/alternate universe/detective fiction....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Finally! I was reading this thread and wondering why there was no Ellery-love.

I have an autographed EQ book - it's the prize of my library.
When they go to count up all the EQ lovers, include me!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to put in a nod to the Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles
1. The Surgeon (2001)
2. The Apprentice (2002)
3. The Sinner (2003)
4. Body Double (2004)
5. Vanish (2005)
6. The Mephisto Club (2006)
7. Keeping the Dead (2008)
8. The Killing Place (2010)

I've read the first 3 so far and they are excellent. The first one was given away as a freebie. That's how I got into Tess' books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #65
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I don't think anyone's mentioned Aurelio Zen (by Michael Dibden) or Arkady Renko (Michael Cruz Smith).

Apologies if they have and old age is getting the better of my eyesight!
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #66
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Oh, yes, those are great fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Might I suggest Lord Darcy by Randall Garrett? A blend of fantasy/alternate universe/detective fiction....
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #67
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Love detective stories! Used to read them all the time.

Some of my favorite sleuths are Agatha Christie's Ms. Marple and Poirot, Martha Grimes' Richard Jury/Melrose Plant, Anne Perry's Thomas Pitt and Lawrence Sanders' Francis X. Delaney.
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #68
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
One of my favorite detectives is Sonchai Jitpleecheep of the Royal Thai Police in a series of novels by John Burdett. I'm currently reading The Godfather of Kathmandu, the 4th and newest in the series that begins with Bangkok 8, and continues with Bangkok Tatoo and Bangkok Haunts.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #69
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
Thanks for starting this tread as I am always looking for new authors. Cleo Coyle's character Clare Cossi is one of my favorite even if it is hard to believe she encounters/witnesses so many murders as a coffee house manager! Janet Evanovich's character Stephanie Plum is by far my all time favorite.
I'd never heard of Cleo Coyle before but looked on Amazon and I like the coffee house/Greenwich Village combo - ordered the sample for my Kindle. Thanks!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #70
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to put in a nod to the Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles
1. The Surgeon (2001)
2. The Apprentice (2002)
3. The Sinner (2003)
4. Body Double (2004)
5. Vanish (2005)
6. The Mephisto Club (2006)
7. Keeping the Dead (2008)
8. The Killing Place (2010)

I've read the first 3 so far and they are excellent. The first one was given away as a freebie. That's how I got into Tess' books.
Body Double was the first book on tape I ever listened to - thanks for the list; I'd like to read some of the others!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #71
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It'll probably be dismal, but the Rizzoli and Isles books are going to be a TV series (starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander) on TNT starting July 12th.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #72
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris
Jesse Stone
Stone Barrington ?
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #73
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series is my current favorite. I also get a kick out of Leslie Glass' Detective April Woo, although she's no longer writing the series. Of course Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin got me started reading sleuth stories...years ago.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #74
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
It'll probably be dismal, but the Rizzoli and Isles books are going to be a TV series (starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander) on TNT starting July 12th.
Heard that and put it on my calendar - could be bad but I figure it's worth a look.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #75
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe,
Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks,
Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus,
John Connolly's Charlie Parker, and
Andrew Vachss' Burke
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote