Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
News on the new Apple tablet

Interesting reading:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digi...0826-eyvv.html
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'll be glad when an official annoucement is out.

I'm very intrigued. Not something I'd buy the first couple of generations. But down the road when the kinks are worked out and prices are in the $300-400 range (hopefully) I'd likely pick one up.

I'd love an all in one portable that I can surf the net, read books/magazines in color, watch movies etc. on. A tablet would be more portable than a netbook--which I don't really need since I already have a good laptop.

Even better if you can write on documents with a stylus that works better than the tablet pcs I've tried out. And I'd think Apple could pull that off given how much better the touch screen on the iPhone is compared to other devices. I hate the touch screen on my LG Voyager.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

I'm getting an iPhone 3GS soon, mainly because I want that convergence - phone, iPod, ereader, video player - all in one pocket sized device. I don't really see the point of a tablet over a laptop. However, given that the iphone is still priced the way it is, I can't see the tablet coming down to the $300-400 range any time soon!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'll be glad when an official annoucement is out.

I'm very intrigued. Not something I'd buy the first couple of generations. But down the road when the kinks are worked out and prices are in the $300-400 range (hopefully) I'd likely pick one up.

I'd love an all in one portable that I can surf the net, read books/magazines in color, watch movies etc. on. A tablet would be more portable than a netbook--which I don't really need since I already have a good laptop.

Even better if you can write on documents with a stylus that works better than the tablet pcs I've tried out. And I'd think Apple could pull that off given how much better the touch screen on the iPhone is compared to other devices. I hate the touch screen on my LG Voyager.
There already IS one of these,(or will be, next month), it just doesn't run MAC OSX or have Apple's name on it. I don't know about the stylus input on it, since I haven't gotten my hands on one, (yet), but it meets your criteria in the other areas you mentioned. (Unless you can't live without Mac, that is)

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=dj&lang=en
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
There's beeln tablets around forever (I had a 'convertible' laptop/tablet about 5 years ago) - the problem is the UI is crap. They assume you deal with a tablet the same way you deal with a mouse and it just isn't so (they almost all run Windows of some variety.) Windows did the same thing with their mobile devices - what makes the iPhone great (and hopefully an Apple tablet) is some actual thought went into the user interface. It's not pleasant using a Windows tablet - gets old REAL fast.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
There's beeln tablets around forever (I had a 'convertible' laptop/tablet about 5 years ago) - the problem is the UI is crap. They assume you deal with a tablet the same way you deal with a mouse and it just isn't so (they almost all run Windows of some variety.) Windows did the same thing with their mobile devices - what makes the iPhone great (and hopefully an Apple tablet) is some actual thought went into the user interface. It's not pleasant using a Windows tablet - gets old REAL fast.
Well, assuming the user reviews (except about the OS) are decent, I'll be finding out after the first of the year. An Archos 9 is on my list for Christmas/Anniversary gift. The fact that it runs Windows 7 is to me a bonus, because it will run every ebook reading software out there (except Amazon, of course) without having to coax it, or that it's just not available.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Exactly - the new tablet is basically an iphone that's too big for your pocket but will fit in a handbag. I don't see the point! The iphone is great, UI is excellent and if I want anything bigger I've got a laptop.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
If you can find a tablet at a computer shop I'd try it out for an extended time. I loved my tablet for reading PDF's and comic books, but that's really it. Which was too bad... it was such a brilliant idea.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
If you can find a tablet at a computer shop I'd try it out for an extended time. I loved my tablet for reading PDF's and comic books, but that's really it. Which was too bad... it was such a brilliant idea.
Well, since that's exactly what I want it for, I should be good to go!
That and reading content online without being tied to my desktop, and for a digital photo album.
I have no intention of it being any sort of replacement for my desktop. Kindle DX's cost what, $449? This seems to me like an all around better deal, for about the same price or $50.00 more.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I've had my convertible tablet since 2003. I took extensive notes on it in school, and still use it for my primary computer (I'm not a gamer). I love it so much I won't consider anything but a tablet or convertible for my next computer - and I got one right in the middle of the tech changeover. My tablet doesn't even have a DVD drive, and when my hard drive gave up the ghost, it was quite the adventure finding a compatible, bootable drive to reinstall from.

For me, it was a desktop AND laptop killer.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another article on the same rumor we've had for years. Please people, stop reporting on this rumor. If it's really announced, then report it. But until then, just let it go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is not news, but rumour. The clue is in the first sentence:

"Rumours of the impending release of a new Apple tablet computer reached fever pitch this week after months of speculation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is not news, but rumour. The clue is in the first sentence:

"Rumours of the impending release of a new Apple tablet computer reached fever pitch this week after months of speculation."

All we do KNOW is that IF Apple will release a tablet, it WILL be shiny!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread should be moved from News and Commentary as it's not news nor a comment.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Dude, you have issues! It was a story in the Brisbane Times, which is a newspaper. Let it go.