Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Any news about Analog or Asimov's?

I subscribe to both Analog and Asimov's SF magazines, and I look forward to the new issues. According to the last issues, and their current web site, the November/December issues should have hit the newsstands on October 14th. The ebook editions usually hit my Nook a few days before the newsstand issues.

So far, though, nothing. The new electronic copies haven't arrived and the web site is still saying the paper copies "will be" on the newsstands on the 14th.

http://www.asimovs.com/next-issue/

This is the first time I can think of them missing a date. I haven't seen any news about the magazines or their parent company. Has anyone heard anything?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There is a reply on Facebook from Sheila Williams, Asimov's editor, that the 14th is a mistake and that date was supposed to be the 17th (the 14th being a Saturday, the 17th a Tuesday which is a usual release day). Haven't seen anything beyond that...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I was fearing the worst!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Thanks! I was fearing the worst!
Your fearless avatar would not have fretted. (though a pizza delivery would have been set into motion)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
cromag

Well, Raph is pretty cold blooded!

But it's the 18th, now, and I'm worried again.
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Maybe they've noticed that they're selling double issues for the price of a single issue, and are fixing the pricing before releasing the next issue?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I just got Asimov's and Analog delivered to my kindle
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #8
cromag

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I just got Asimov's and Analog delivered to my kindle
Yep, they were waiting for me when I got home this evening.

(I get mine from Barnes & Noble.)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:10 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just bought the issues at Amazon UK. (£2.49 per issue, instead of £1.99 a month for a subscription. Yes, it's £1.49 less per issue to buy as they come out than to have a subscription at the moment!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Strange here in the US it's one cent more per issue if you don't subscribe. I wonder what they'd do if you only subscribed every other month to pay $2.99/issue instead of $5.98... They'd probably send your account to /dev/null.

Now on the other hand, the print subscription's $34.97/month (EDIT: I mean $34.97/year, 3 AM brainfart I suppose), whereas $2.99/month comes to $35.88.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 10-21-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Correcting error
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just bought the issues at Amazon UK. (£2.49 per issue, instead of £1.99 a month for a subscription. Yes, it's £1.49 less per issue to buy as they come out than to have a subscription at the moment!)
£1.99 is cheaper than £2.49 so how is buying each issue cheaper than a subscription?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
£1.99 is cheaper than £2.49 so how is buying each issue cheaper than a subscription?
Because the subscription is £1.99 per month, but you only get an issue once every two months. You therefore pay 2 x £1.99 = £3.98, compared to £2.49 for buying the issue without the subscription.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
cromag

I'm still subscribed at Barnes & Noble, on the "Combo" two-for-one subscription deal. I pay $2.99 per month for both Analog and Asimov's -- so $2.99 per issue. And I'll stay as long as the rates remain reasonable and B&N doesn't manage to lock things down so tightly that I can't get to my issues.

BTW, it's worth mentioning that the "Next Issue" column in Asimov's promises that the next issue will hit the newstands on December 17, 2017. According to my calendar, that's another Sunday.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, the people setting the prices at the magazines have long been either deranged or drinking a Kool-Aid that the rest of us sip only after purification tablets or straws have been employed.
My favorite trick is to find a real paper magazine at a bookstore or a bookstall in a grocery, drugstore, or department type store and get the subscription card from inside that gives the 50% reduced cut rate subscription. i.e. I currently have Kiplinger's Finance magazine for $6 for a year of 12 monthly issues.
These cards aren't there all the time but at least once or twice a year you can find them.

Other magazines and series do the same thing.

Is this somewhat self defeating? Well yes, but then it does bring in some of the more reluctant subscribers and the magazine makes a lot of money from their ads.

I enjoy the real paper magazine in situations where a tablet or computer isn't a good fit.

Last edited by frahse; 10-22-2017 at 06:22 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yes, the people setting the prices at the magazines have long been either deranged or drinking a Kool-Aid that the rest of us sip only after purification tablets or straws have been employed.
My favorite trick is to find a real paper magazine at a bookstore or a bookstall in a grocery, drugstore, or department type store and get the subscription card from inside that gives the 50% reduced cut rate subscription. i.e. I currently have Kiplinger's Finance magazine for $6 for a year of 12 monthly issues.
These cards aren't there all the time but at least once or twice a year you can find them.

Other magazines and series do the same thing.

Is this somewhat self defeating? Well yes, but then it does bring in some of the more reluctant subscribers and the magazine makes a lot of money from their ads.

I enjoy the real paper magazine in situations where a tablet or computer isn't a good fit.
I got an offer from Better Homes and Gardens +Family Circle. $10 for 3 years. They each put out 12 issues a year. So 72 issues for $10.
I call that the we need subscribers offer.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote