Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #23686
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well yes - the moving jet stream & polar vortex have created the 'never ending winter' for North America ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #23687
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In the Netherlands, we skipped winter this year.

Today, it was 23 deg. C. in the sun.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #23688
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well yes - the moving jet stream & polar vortex have created the 'never ending winter' for North America ....
It really doesn't surprise me. There has been an Ice Age roughly every 10,000 years in Geologic history. We are already at 11,000 since the last one. We're due... It's one of the reasons I learned how to knapp flint. I'm ready for the Mastodons and the Sabre-toothed tigers when they come back! I've got a cave all picked out!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #23689
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I HATE DST! HATE IT! HATE IT!

You can't reset a cat's internal clock without bloodshed!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #23690
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Try a toddlers.

Working on a Jai Lai beer. Good stuff
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #23691
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Good idea! Alcohol to combat DST woes!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #23692
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's that time again, isn't it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daylight Savings.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	120033  
Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #23693
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Haha. Nice.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #23694
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
I feel weird just randomly popping in here with a vent, but.... I'll do it anyway.

People who insist on posting really nasty and deliberately inflammatory rants about other people's posts on facebook.
If you really don't like what someone posts you can unfollow or unfriend someone. It's REALLY not that hard.

I know people are going to come up and say "this is why I don't use facebook", but I keep up with it to keep in touch with family and friends. It's the easiest way for all of us and it works.

I don't know that they were speaking about me specifically or what... I'm just going through a lot of little things and this person specifically mentioned not wanting people to post up stuff about their kids because it's not interesting to them.

And I do post up stuff about my kids. (I'm a parent. Pretty much EVERY parent I know posts stuff up about their kids.) I DO understand that kids are not everyone's "thing" - I just don't see the need to be insulting. (This person said "ugly" and that some parents aren't good at parenting... which is just really inflammatory.)

As to why I'm friends with this person, they were only recently added because they married into the family and I have only interacted with this person for a handful of hours. With maybe only 10minutes of one on one time.

I know I should just "grow some thicker skin"... I just feel really emotionally fragile right now...
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #23695
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm not a Facebook expert either, I'm mostly on there to keep an eye on my kids and see some real-life friends that don't live near me.

But, if this person posted to your timeline, you can delete the post. He probably won't even notice. If he does, I'd tell him why.

You might also be able to re-classify him as an "acquaintance" and limit what you see (and what he sees of you).

Good luck.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 AM   #23696
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
I feel weird just randomly popping in here with a vent, but.... I'll do it anyway.

People who insist on posting really nasty and deliberately inflammatory rants about other people's posts on facebook.
If you really don't like what someone posts you can unfollow or unfriend someone. It's REALLY not that hard.

I know people are going to come up and say "this is why I don't use facebook", but I keep up with it to keep in touch with family and friends. It's the easiest way for all of us and it works.

I don't know that they were speaking about me specifically or what... I'm just going through a lot of little things and this person specifically mentioned not wanting people to post up stuff about their kids because it's not interesting to them.

And I do post up stuff about my kids. (I'm a parent. Pretty much EVERY parent I know posts stuff up about their kids.) I DO understand that kids are not everyone's "thing" - I just don't see the need to be insulting. (This person said "ugly" and that some parents aren't good at parenting... which is just really inflammatory.)

As to why I'm friends with this person, they were only recently added because they married into the family and I have only interacted with this person for a handful of hours. With maybe only 10minutes of one on one time.

I know I should just "grow some thicker skin"... I just feel really emotionally fragile right now...
I am NO facebook expert (it's my least favorite social media app, right up there with tweetering idiots with "selfies"), but can't you either "unfriend" someone like that, or block their posts? I know you can mute posts on G+ (my fave, because of the forum-like atmosphere, which segregates content, so that you can only hang out with "like minds" vis-a-vis interests, topics, etc., so you don't have the kid-haters mixing with kid-lovers, etc.), but I don't know if you can do so on Facebook.

The other alternative is to do what I do...don't look at it for a month or so at a time. I find that the absolute BEST cure for Facebook, which I admit, I also tend to find a bit...time-sucking, with a lot of posts about personal issues or events or occurrences, from people that I don't really know. You can also create groups of people--family, friends, "banished to FB Hell," and you could put her in the latter, so you wouldn't SEE her posts on your stream, if you set it up correctly. (Lots of tutorials on this on the Net).

As somebody said (Guy Kawaski, maybe?), Facebook is for friends, G+ is for business/interests, and that works better for me. Perhaps you should suggest to your new family member (my sympathies) that she might find G+ better suited to her preferences? It actually WOULD be--nice when you can be truthful--and it might get her out of your hair. Just an idea.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #23697
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
My standard response to people who try to change others rather than modify themselves is to say, "I am sure you are annoyed by that, so I am curious as to why you haven't X." where X in this case is to unsubscribe from a person's posts. You can even encourage them to Google how.

I get smug satisfaction replying reasonably to cranky, nasty online posts.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #23698
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Last night, I did unfollow this person so I would not see their posts in my feed.
Some time between then and now I have been unfriended so I do know this person was talking about me. (Possibly not "just me", but I have no way of knowing.)

I don't know this person, but I strongly suspect they intended me to see it before unfriending. I was not unfriended for at least a couple of hours and this person knew I was on at the time.
The worst part, for me, is - I'm not the sort of person who gets offended by "random" defriending. I've never actively checked my numbers and if I do notice someone left, it's usually someone who neither of us really interacted with each other or there are really strong differences. It's never actually hurt my feelings.

I legitimately did not have an opinion of this person before. I also know I shouldn't care, but attacking someone through their children (or pets) is just a very low move.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #23699
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
All this crap is exactly the reason why I don't do social media, and why (almost) nobody knows both my internet nicks and my real name.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #23700
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Last night, I did unfollow this person so I would not see their posts in my feed.
Some time between then and now I have been unfriended so I do know this person was talking about me. (Possibly not "just me", but I have no way of knowing.)
People will love you and people will hate you. And in most cases, it has absolutely nothing to do with you...

Stitchawl

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness