Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
S3ZAi
S3ZAi began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
Is it possible to switch fonts in a pdf file or remove the fonts?

Hi everyone,

I have a perfect 12 inch android tablet exclusively for reading pdf files. (I also have an almost 8 inch e-reader, but reading a pdf file isn't very comfortable on this e-reader, as the screen is still a bit too small).

I always use one app on my tablet for reading pdf files, it's the Moon+ Reader, paid version. I am very happy with this app, as it has many many customization options, which are clear and useful.

But for the first time since ages I have an issue with this one pdf file. (Is it ok to post links to online pdf files here? It is directly available on the net.) First the app complains about fonts missing. And with the correct fonts downloaded to my tablet or NOT, the text is all garbled. It is not totally garbled, but the letters stick to each other. It makes the text mostly unreadable.

It looks fine in other apps, like the adobe reader or the foxit reader. But in those apps it is for example not possible to fix the screen position and zoom.

I am GUESSING that if I could exchange the embedded fonts, or just delete them, the Moon+ app would perhaps revert to standard fonts.

Anyway, has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I have also sent a message to Moon+ app owner, but as this is the first in houndreds of files, I'm guessing it's a problem with the file.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by S3ZAi; 10-02-2017 at 01:06 PM.
S3ZAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3ZAi View Post
But for the first time since ages I have an issue with this one pdf file. (Is it ok to post links to online pdf files here? It is directly available on the net.)
Only if it's a link to a site that is legally allowed to make the file available for download. If the file represents a book that is still under copyright, then no, it's not OK at all (unless the rights owner has given explicit permission).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
S3ZAi
S3ZAi began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Only if it's a link to a site that is legally allowed to make the file available for download. If the file represents a book that is still under copyright, then no, it's not OK at all (unless the rights owner has given explicit permission).
Thanks for the info. It's a good thing I asked then, cause it's definitely still under copyright.

By the way, I have obviously done a google search and tried a few things. Most links on this topic were quite old and didn't work. So I'm guessing it's probably an obsolete issue and the pdf file is really old.

I have decided to wait for the paperback copy I ordered. I guess I'll just have to wait a few more days.
S3ZAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Some PDF files are scans. You can't do anything except a direct zoom. If you purchased this pdf file, try contacting the publisher for a recommendation. I've returned some pdf books because I was unable to alter the text to make it readable for me (I have vision damage).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote