Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Update Covers

I know this has been mentioned before, but I can't make any of solutions work.
I sent several books to kobo without updating cover (the first page showed up automatically) I removed books, sent them back to kobo with updated covers, didn't work. I removed books, did epub-epub conversion before sending, didn't work. (Interestingly, the new covers show when I'm reading book, but when it's finished it's back to old one).I replaced books manually didn't work.
What am I doing wrong?
Firmware is 2.8.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unless you use the driver options in calibre to send the covers, the device uses the first page for the cover. But, replacing the cover can be a problem. Unfortunately, the device caches a few covers in memory. If the file is replaced, the cached copy is still used. The cover will be dropped from the cache when it is no longer needed. But, when reading a book, the cover will stay in the cache. And unfortunately, replacing the book or replacing the cover does not drop the cover from the cache. The only way I know to clear the cache is to power off and on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I spent an hour yesterday trying to fix it, and turning it off and on again worked. Thank you!
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unless you use the driver options in calibre to send the covers, the device uses the first page for the cover.
Does it really use the first page, and not the one marked as the cover in the (epub 2) guide section?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As far as I can tell, it is the first page. I did a lot of testing with the calibre driver and utilities plugin to see what happens. That was a while ago, but a quick test of this with FW3.2.0 suggests it hasn't changed.

I also dropped the epub I changed into ADE. It used the first page for the cover as well. That suggests it is part of the RMSDK that is doing this.

If you sideload as a kepub, the rules are different. In that case it uses the epub3 standard to work out the cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote