Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #586
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I love this! Thank you very much! It's just perfect for me the way it is --no changes needed at all.
I'll make a compact version in case you want even tighter line space. Glad the weight is good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #587
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Smile

Hi JSWolf, is this the same link you sent me earlier? I tried it out, almost too thin. I guess for me, while the Compact weight as it stands (the very heavy one) is perfect in line spacing, and perfect for late reading (with light turned down). The new link, that's the same weight as your first Charis? But yeah, it's almost too light now. I don't know how weight necessarily works, but maybe something 1/2 to 2/3rds of the increase from initial weight/weight in new link, to the top weight of the Compact I'm using? Like if ModifiedRegular was a "0," metaphorically, in weight, and the current Compact/Modified is a "10," then a Compact with maybe a "6" would be ideal, at least for my Kindle, in circumstances of well-lit reading.

Too bad these Kindles are not uniform in lighting and contrast, alas! Is it very hard to alter weight? Sorry again for any criticism. And again I am uber-grateful for Compact as it stands...
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #588
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll make a compact version in case you want even tighter line space. Glad the weight is good.
I'm not sure how I missed this! Actually, I'm very happy with the line space. For me, your version is perfect as is.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #589
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Charis Modified Regular looks great in the screenshots you displayed and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it looks less weighty than palatino on the PW at size 2 or 3. It's weight is incredibly thin at those levels using an azw3 book (with all font info stripped from it in conversion) on the PW.

I have really enjoyed trying out all the fonts you guys have made using your free time here and want to show my support to your endeavours. Thanks for your experimentation.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #590
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
The Charis Modified Regular looks great in the screenshots you displayed and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it looks less weighty than palatino on the PW at size 2 or 3. It's weight is incredibly thin at those levels using an azw3 book (with all font info stripped from it in conversion) on the PW.

I have really enjoyed trying out all the fonts you guys have made using your free time here and want to show my support to your endeavours. Thanks for your experimentation.
My Version of Charis has more weight if you want to try it. PM Me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #591
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a helpful tip for anyone who might want to match up font sizes between the Paperwhite and K4 or K3.

There is a 2% difference in sizes.

So you enlarge a font at 12% for the PW.
You would enlarger the font for 10% on the K4 or K3.

There is also a difference in line spacing.

Medium line spacing on the PW is Small line spacing on the K4 or K3.
So Large on the PW would be Medium on the K4 or K3.

Size 4 on the K4 or K3 is Size 5 on the PW.
Size 2 on the K4 or K3 is Size 3 on the PW.
(You get the idea)

This only applies to Custom fonts due to the Kindle using a style sheet or some type of settings for default fonts.

So it's possible to get the font sizes to match on both Kindles even if they are different size settings, they are identical this way.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-16-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #592
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I'm not sure how I missed this! Actually, I'm very happy with the line space. For me, your version is perfect as is.
I'll just leave it as is for you. Glad you like it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #593
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Hi JSWolf, is this the same link you sent me earlier? I tried it out, almost too thin. I guess for me, while the Compact weight as it stands (the very heavy one) is perfect in line spacing, and perfect for late reading (with light turned down). The new link, that's the same weight as your first Charis? But yeah, it's almost too light now. I don't know how weight necessarily works, but maybe something 1/2 to 2/3rds of the increase from initial weight/weight in new link, to the top weight of the Compact I'm using? Like if ModifiedRegular was a "0," metaphorically, in weight, and the current Compact/Modified is a "10," then a Compact with maybe a "6" would be ideal, at least for my Kindle, in circumstances of well-lit reading.

Too bad these Kindles are not uniform in lighting and contrast, alas! Is it very hard to alter weight? Sorry again for any criticism. And again I am uber-grateful for Compact as it stands...
It is not difficult to make a version with more weight. I'll try to make one with about 1/2 the weight sometime tomorrow and PM you the link.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #594
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post

Tomorrow I'll unbeta the larger versions and post the link. They are not similar in size to the default Kindle font, but the line spacing is smaller and the letters closer together for more text on screen.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #595
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
It's interesting that you are working to get more text on the screen, Jon.

I'm having to do a lot of reading in the dark on my PW lately, and I find that I need a font with more space between the lines and a slightly larger font than I do for regular day-time reading. I still like narrow margins, but for whatever reason, my eyes need that extra space for legibiity.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #596
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
It's interesting that you are working to get more text on the screen, Jon.

I'm having to do a lot of reading in the dark on my PW lately, and I find that I need a font with more space between the lines and a slightly larger font than I do for regular day-time reading. I still like narrow margins, but for whatever reason, my eyes need that extra space for legibiity.
I find the default font just has too much letter and line space. So I want to give people who prefer a better line space and letter space to have an option.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #597
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i wish i could figure out how to get these custom fonts on my kindle. i tried to follow the directions in the font help request thread but something isn't right :/

edit: with the help of blossom and sparklemotion i am good to go i am now using futura as my current font. it's nice and bold!

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #598
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
i wish i could figure out how to get these custom fonts on my kindle. i tried to follow the directions in the font help request thread but something isn't right :/

edit: with the help of blossom and sparklemotion i am good to go i am now using futura as my current font. it's nice and bold!
Yay, glad you sorted it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #599
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post

Welcome to the world of custom fonts! If you like Sans Serif give Open Sans a try. I have a few serif fonts I modified to be dark on the Kindle. You can PM me if you want to try them.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #600
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Welcome to the world of custom fonts! If you like Sans Serif give Open Sans a try. I have a few serif fonts I modified to be dark on the Kindle. You can PM me of if you want to try them.
thank you very much! i love that font, i am going to try it out now

ps. i pmed you

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-16-2013 at 11:11 PM.
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote