Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I googled a little bit and U59 seems to be a bq27500 from TI.
From the data sheet found at TI, their bq27500 looks a lot like U59 indeed (for the interested readers, NOT the little black square I pointed at, but the other one that is to the left and a bit below the power plug socket) with its 12 pins and all -- seems you didn't need the pictures after all, did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx
I had a quick look at the datasheet at it seems to be a very complex device that can (must?) be tuned to a specific battery by programming a lot of registers via I2C.
From the data sheet, I'd guess factory battery information goes into Manufacturer Info Block A (assuming you're right about U59), and we also know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas instruments
4.3 MANUFACTURER INFORMATION BLOCKS
The bq27500/1 contains 96 bytes of user programmable data flash storage: Manufacturer Info Block A, Manufacturer Info Block B, Manufacturer Info Block C. The method for accessing these memory locations is slightly different, depending on whether the device is in UNSEALED or SEALED modes.
[...]
Note: Manufacturer Info Block A is read-only when in SEALED mode.

4.4 ACCESS MODES
The bq27500/1 provides three security modes (FULL ACCESS, UNSEALED, and SEALED) that control data flash access permissions, according to Table 4-6.
[...]

4.5 SEALING/UNSEALING DATA FLASH
The bq27500/1 implements a key-access scheme to transition between SEALED, UNSEALED, and FULL-ACCESS modes. Each transition requires that a unique set of two keys be sent [...]
So, wanna try and destroy one of my spare motherboards?
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #32
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
seems you didn't need the pictures after all, did you?
I opened mine and took some pictures myself ....
Quote:
So, wanna try and destroy one of my spare motherboards?
This would require major time (and equipment) to study the datasheet, measure battery behaviour and experiment with settings.
The next job would be to figure out how these settings are programmed (assuming they are lost at every power-down). Which CPU is connected to the chip. Find the settings in the firmware. Find a way to change them while still being able to download (there might be a CRC on the firmware image). Program the new firmware in the DR. ...
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #33
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
This would require major time (and equipment) to study the datasheet, measure battery behaviour and experiment with settings.
Oh, there are more direct ways to destroy it... As for measuring battery behaviour, we have a neat 500Kb log now.
Quote:
The next job would be to ... Program the new firmware in the DR. ...
So, you basically have no time to write a whole new firmware? I must admit I kind of saw that coming...

OK, seriously, if you ever get the battery programming bug give me a call -- I should have a DR working for as long as it takes for the next generation to appear...
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
papata
papata began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000
Quote:
Oh, there are more direct ways to destroy it... As for measuring battery behaviour, we have a neat 500Kb log now.
So, you basically have no time to write a whole new firmware? I must admit I kind of saw that coming...

OK, seriously, if you ever get the battery programming bug give me a call -- I should have a DR working for as long as it takes for the next generation to appear...
The discussion has moved to reprogramming and now the DR becomes just a machinery instead of a capricious girl of a sort. :-)

Got a question to ask...
How does the Onyx Boox M92 compare to the DR 1000?
I have seen that people are complaining of its performance with .pdf files.
But in general is it comparable in any sense to the DR 1000, I also see from its component sheet that performance wise the device should be practically similar to the DR 1000 capabilities. For some reason its slow reading of pdf files is not something which I will be ready to swallow at all.

Is it wort investing in it, or should I just wait to something at least comparable to the DR 1000 in respect of pdfs to appear on the market?
papata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #35
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
My battery is dying, do the CS-TM920SL finally works as expected without problems?

thanks

Last edited by whopper; 04-11-2013 at 06:29 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #36
papata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
My battery is dying, do the CS-TM920SL finally works as expected without problems?

thanks
CS-TM920SL, yes , perfectly...no problems with it at all.
The battery life is longer than 10 hours, but I have not paid much attention to it, since The IREX is working properly once again.

Let us now how it is performing with you rex. Beside the battery is really cheap.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
papata

M92 v DR1000

Whopper, How is the Onyx Boox M92 performing in comparison with the DR?
Would you compare them how the perform with .pdfs.
Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #38
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by papata View Post
Whopper, How is the Onyx Boox M92 performing in comparison with the DR?
Would you compare them how the perform with .pdfs.
Thanks.
I don't have the M92, I thought about buying it but I didn't at the end. From what I've read, it is similar to the irex ones, with some bugs but a little faster.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dr1000